Some Other Guy (LIVE at The Cavern Club) [*COLORIZED*]

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
harrylime

Re: Some Other Guy (LIVE at The Cavern Club) [*COLORIZED*]

Post by harrylime »

The quality of the best take is still quite deplorable for a camera negative, not to mention it has scratch marks. I would rather think it's the first gen positive that survived.

I vividly remember an older John looking at a copy on a flatbed editor (a table with a small monitor projector) at Granada, but googling this I just found "The World of John And Yoko" where they are watching it in a room from a regular projector. Am I confusing/misremembering things or were there two different instances of a SOG rewatch?

(skip to 12:26)

Interestingly the snippet included in The World Of is take 2 (I assume if Anthology is take 1), it ends with Paul keeping mostly still and facing the audience at the final chord while in Anthology he takes a full step backwards and turns to face George. Could that mean the copy J&Y are watching is the surviving source for take 2? edit: or they just watched any kind of copy and the editors later opted to use take 2 that they somehow had access to...
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

It is strange that The World Of John and Yoko includes take 2, and yet Man Of The Decade from exactly the same period includes take 1. And a French broadcast used take 1, and also a mid 70s US airing the name of which escapes me. From the same period, All You Need Is Love (Palmer) and Heroes Of Rock And Roll used take 2. So I don't know why there were two takes in circulation, or why one is so much better quality.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

Adding to the mystery, this promotional Facebook post of The World Of by the Coda Collection features a sepia toned 4:3 version of the SOG footage with a much lower sound quality, but it's the very same source, you can see the same scratch mark next to John during his close-up. I'm getting the impression they simply edited both in from a modern source (where the sepia one was an earlier attempt after which they opted for the b/w widescreen cut out)... It would be interesting to see if there's a bootleg of the original airing that can show the actual source they used back then.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

harrylime wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:03 am
I vividly remember an older John looking at a copy on a flatbed editor (a table with a small monitor projector) at Granada, but googling this I just found "The World of John And Yoko" where they are watching it in a room from a regular projector. Am I confusing/misremembering things or were there two different instances of a SOG rewatch?
Wasn't that George watching 'This Boy' at Granada with Tony Wilson in the background? I don't recall seeing John at Granada watching SOG.

I'd be happy to be corrected if I'm wrong. You'd have thought this important and historic Cavern footage would have all been gathered up, transferred and preserved properly in best possible quality and made available by now.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

That must have been it then, thanks. Interesting as I can't remember the J&Y footage of them sitting like that at all, but somehow it got stuck in my mind of them rewatching something from the past the way George is doing there. But I guess it goes to show human memory isn't the most reliable source :D
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:21 pmYou'd have thought this important and historic Cavern footage would have all been gathered up, transferred and preserved properly in best possible quality and made available by now.
That'll be the day.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

harrylime wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:25 pm That must have been it then, thanks. Interesting as I can't remember the J&Y footage of them sitting like that at all, but somehow it got stuck in my mind of them rewatching something from the past the way George is doing there. But I guess it goes to show human memory isn't the most reliable source :D
You mean the world Of John And Yoko (which is on amazon prime in all its nauseating self indulgent glory).
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:31 am You mean the world Of John And Yoko (which is on amazon prime in all its nauseating self indulgent glory).
What do you mean? I was talking about The World of John and Yoko all along, I even included the YouTube clip of it in my Wed May 31, 2023 11:03 am post above, and I mentioned its Facebook announcement by the Coda Collection uses a different SOG snippet. The point I'm making is that in The World of John and Yoko, they're looking at the footage while sitting in a room facing to the right and the film is projected. However in my memory, which is probably fabulated, they are sitting at an editing desk just like George is in the clip provided by MarkRJones1970.
Choking Smoker

Post by Choking Smoker »

We're so lucky that they sent a sound crew back to The Cavern to re-record the soundtrack a couple of weeks later. Because of that decision we ended up with some recordings of The Beatles there that we wouldn't have had like "Kansas City". I suppose you could bemoan that fact that the reportedly complete session recording wasn't kept, I guess it's one of those glass half full or glass half empty situations.

I'm honestly grateful for anything that has survived from their early years, we all know who they were now but their fame was only local back then.
silver_2000

Post by silver_2000 »

Just found this thread, recently joined this site, I am the colorizer of that video.. I think it is one of my "best", not perfect, but I do think it is better then most colorizations on Youtube, which are primarily just using AI, which creates totally unrealistic colors, instruments, skin..etc, an example of what I am talking about:

These types of videos are littered around the site, and as someone who hand colorizers frames, as opposed to just throwing the file in an Ai, it is a bit annoying.

For some of the comments about preferring the black and white version, I agree with you, I don't think my colorization is a replacement by any means, but I do think its a cool example of using new colorizing technology, and a cool treat for big beatle fans who have seen the footage so much and want something different.