The John Lennon Project (Website) - Update 1

Wherever you are, you are here…
Golem

Re: The John Lennon Project (Website) - Update 1

Post by Golem »

Been having fun doing some research on Happy Xmas, and man these sessions are dense, but I think I mostly cracked it. For fun I tried using AI to figure out what take 6 would have sounded like, so here that is!
hxxps://we.tl/t-GUGLcZUs3M

If you ignore the guitars doubling after the intro, and the xylophone, those are the instruments that were played in the master take, I used a mix of the rockband stuff, the evo doc, and the LLT early mix to create it.

Here's my current understanding of Happy Xmas

OCT 28TH
Takes 1-7
Hugh McCracken, Chris Osbourne, Stuart Scharf, Teddy Irwin on Guitars / Bass
Jim Kelter on Drums
Nicky Hopkins on PIano

Overdubs onto 6
Hugh McCracken, Chris Osbourne, Stuart Scharf, Teddy Irwin on Guitars
Nicky Hopkins on Chimes
Nicky Hopkins on Glockenspiel
Jim Kelter on Sleigh Bells
John & Yoko Vocals

OCT 30TH
Tape transfer to 16 Track Machine

OCT31ST
Overdubs onto 6
“Happy Christmas Kyoko, Happy Christmas Julian” - John and Yoko (unclear order)
“And A Very Merry Christmas” - Harlem Choir
‘War is Over, If You Want It” - Harlem Choir
“HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY” - Harlem Choir
Strings

I think this is about as accurate as we can get with the resources we have. We know for the Oct 28th overdubs that vocals were done last, but the rest of the overdubs order is slightly unclear
Now, as the overdubs start, the Spector magic is again overwhelmingly apparent. At John's suggestion, the acoustic guitars play a mandolin-like riff, strongly reminiscent of Ronnie Spector's Try Some, Buy Some, and all sorts of percussive effects are tried.

Nicky plays chimes and glockenspiel, which have been hastily hired, and Keltner adds a jangling four-on-the-bar on a handy pair of sleigh bells.
As for the Oct 31st overdubs, this should be 100% accurate besides the fact we don't know when the "Happy Christmas Julian" was recorded, the rest is based on the choir rough mix on Anthology.

Anyways that's all the research I have for now, I'm having fun going through the sessions, didn't expect this one to be so dense, but I expect STINYC to be a bit more smooth sailing.
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

great insight and research Golem; I have always loved this song and the connection (for the arrangement) with George song "Try Some, Buy Some".
On the stems or the 5.1 mix isolated channels of the video DVD I have always had the feeling that there were two pianos : Nicky, but someone is playing some more childish-like piano and play it like hammering : could it be John on piano too ?

On a Masterfraction CD (was it "After The Remember"?) there is a great studio take with John & Yoko without the children choir; I have to relisten to it if the introduction to Kyoko and Julian was already there.
Golem

Post by Golem »

Rupert Pupkin wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:40 am great insight and research Golem; I have always loved this song and the connection (for the arrangement) with George song "Try Some, Buy Some".
On the stems or the 5.1 mix isolated channels of the video DVD I have always had the feeling that there were two pianos : Nicky, but someone is playing some more childish-like piano and play it like hammering : could it be John on piano too ?

On a Masterfraction CD (was it "After The Remember"?) there is a great studio take with John & Yoko without the children choir; I have to relisten to it if the introduction to Kyoko and Julian was already there.
Maybe you mean the Glockenspiel, which is sorta like a xylophone, Nicky plays that one.
Alessandro Rocchi

Post by Alessandro Rocchi »

Thank you very much, Golem! :geek:
Ale.