Wings - Back To The Egg - Restructure

Fan created remixes and rare variations
General Pepper

Wings - Back To The Egg - Restructure

Post by General Pepper »

I've always thought Back to the Egg to be a frustrating album.

The latter part of Side one flows pretty well, but side 2 is very uneven. A few highlights, then After the Ball/ Million Miles and Winter Rose/Love Awake just drag things down. In and of themselves, these incomplete sketches are fine, but four snippets back to back just don't work for me. The Rockestra tracks should have been issued as a bonus single.

I think McCartney has pretty much disowned it. I don't think he has ever played any of the tracks live

The album was originally going to be called We're Open Tonight, and the theme was to be a band on their way to a show. Macca was also going for a whole New Wave vibe. Somewhere along the way, he got lost and we ended up with a mishmash of bits. Denny Laine said they were miserable sessions, and the band realised they were in trouble when they came to ordering the final tracks. Apparently the one highlight they all loved was the time they got together to record Goodnight Tonight.

Ironically, they were a new band (Laurence Juber and Steve Holly), and then they fell apart. Linda suggested Back to the Egg as a title, and I wonder if that was a symbol of rebirth. With the original title and concept, I wonder if Macca was thinking of going back to basics - with a tourbus and live shows at small venues etc.

Side one for me mostly works. Side two falls into the slow stuff that pulls down the pace of the album. Even Macca recognises they were unfinished (Love Awake/Winter Rose/Million Miles/After the Ball) as he jammed them together. Now I don't mind any of these pieces, but together they slow the album down too much as they are. I threw out three and kept After The Ball, as it picks up and has a soaring guitar solo.

He then filled the album with Rockestra tracks, which again I don't mind, but don't belong on this album. I ended up conceding defeat and kept Rockestra Theme, because it's good and I could make it fit. The album needed a rocker at the end, and this was the best I had. (During these sessions they recorded a version of Ballroom Dancing. I tried to make the one from Broad Street fit, but it's too brassy etc.

Reception and Broadcast went because.... well, they're not that good. I opened with We're Open Tonight, cos it fits the original theme, and reminds me of the opening of Venus and Mars. I added a few singles and outtakes, messed with the tracklisting and this is what I have. (This is the fifth iteration of my restructure, and personally, I am pretty happy with it.)

A good Beatle friend doesn't like 'To You' or 'Cage', so removed them (but with the other tracks in the same order) and is happier with his version.

A1 We're Open Tonight
A2 Getting Closer
A3 Cage
A4 Again and Again and Again
A5 Daytime Nightime Suffering
A6 Old Siam Sir
A7 Arrow Through Me

B1 Spin It On
B2 Cruising Ahead
B3 After the Ball
B4 To You
B5 Rockestra Theme
B6 Goodnight Tonight
B7 Baby's Request

hxxps://we.tl/t-xRvd3UDgzC
Last edited by General Pepper on Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kontroller

Re: Wings - Back To The Egg - Restructure

Post by kontroller »

General Pepper wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:12 pm A few highlights, then After the Ball/ Million Miles and Winter Rose/Love Awake just drag things down.
Just to be contrary, I just love those two 'medley' tracks. In fact, I wouldn't change a single thing about Back to the Egg, but appreciate your efforts all the same!
D-listener

Post by D-listener »

Thank you-this looks really good! This album is a real guilty pleasure.
General Pepper

Post by General Pepper »

Just to be contrary, I just love those two 'medley' tracks. In fact, I wouldn't change a single thing about Back to the Egg, but appreciate your efforts all the same!
It's all personal taste, isn't it?

This disc was for my own enjoyment, but I decided to share it anyway.
Last edited by General Pepper on Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General Pepper

Post by General Pepper »

D-listener wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:10 pm Thank you-this looks really good! This album is a real guilty pleasure.
I find it annoying that he hasn't released this or London Town in the archive series yet.
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

General Pepper wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:12 pm
D-listener wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:10 pm Thank you-this looks really good! This album is a real guilty pleasure.
I find it annoying that he hasn't released this or London Town in the archive series yet.
I’m hoping that these will be issued next....BTTE is my favourite Wings album by far.
urasam2

Post by urasam2 »

By a strange coincidence, I was discussing doing this very same thing with my brother the other day. I think you've done a very good job. I love Winter Rose/ Love Awake, and in fact, Love Awake can stand by itself as a complete track. So, I'd use that instead of To You, which I don't particularly like, and I'm not convinced Crusing Ahead is from 1979 anyway, so I'd work So Glad To See You back in somewhere. Love the inclusion of your other tracks like Daytime Nightime Suffering. Well done!
ashwom1

Post by ashwom1 »

My favourite two Wings albums are London Town and Back To The Egg.

I wouldn't remove anything from either of them and as much as I like 'Cage' I can't see where it would fit in (I know on the rough mix it was originally track 2 or 3).

As you say, personal choice. :)
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

Cage would have been better used as a “B side” to “ Old Siam Sir” instead of “Spin It On” already included on the album anyway. It would have given fans better value for money, and may have elevated the single higher than the lowly number 35 it peaked at.
Alessandro Rocchi

Post by Alessandro Rocchi »

Winter Rose and Love Awake are my favourite tracks in the Lp but everyone has his own tastes :lol:
Ale.