Peace of Mind

What are you missing? We're here to help! Also feel free to post your lists for trading or sharing.
beatlesbelmo

Peace of Mind

Post by beatlesbelmo »

What is the final verdict of the supposed Beatles song, "Peace of Mind" (The Candle Burns)? I've read various accounts of its true origins. The story I heard the most was that it was a couple of DJs who got together and recorded it as a joke.
And is there a nice clean version of the song anyone can post?
Can we solve this mystery, my friends?
Thanks,
Belmo
quigatolah

Re: Peace of Mind

Post by quigatolah »

As you probably know, the general consensus is that it is not The Beatles.

I'd like the story to be true. I really like the song. But by now more evidence of it's authenticity would have come to light.

I think a couple of valid questions remain: Was it deliberately made to fool people? Was it someone wanting to make a Beately sounding record but not intending to fool anyone?

In any case, I don't think it's a studio recording. Sounds more like a home recording - ie. Kinfauns/Esher
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

Nooooo ....
The Kinfaun demos are great this recording is poor and sounds like coming from a intoxicated person... nothing great really.
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

Fast lucky wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:24 pm Nooooo ....
The Kinfaun demos are great this recording is poor and sounds like coming from a intoxicated person... nothing great really.
+1
dascottjr

Post by dascottjr »

This was finally proven to be fake not too long ago. It was made up by a few guys and announced as a Beatles demo on a radio program right before "Come Together". Someone recorded it from that show, put it on a bootleg, and the rest is history. The full version was recently posted on Soundcloud from an off-air taping.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Given its provenance (coming from an underground FM station based in a university.... yikes) I would say it is probably fake. Some guy called Walton Jones (?) claimed he was the one who performed it, but he has no proof so that doesn't count for much. The thing which finally swayed it for me was the extra bits of the song at the end which weren't used on the bootleg.

Also, the guy who claimed on Hoffman that he was the deejay who broadcast it... his story does not tally with the off air tape. So I think it has neither been proved or disproved, and is still a matter of heresay. The only way it could be settled is for someone to come forth with a work tape or earlier version.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
billychildish

Post by billychildish »

dascottjr wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:27 pm This was finally proven to be fake not too long ago. It was made up by a few guys and announced as a Beatles demo on a radio program right before "Come Together". Someone recorded it from that show, put it on a bootleg, and the rest is history. The full version was recently posted on Soundcloud from an off-air taping.
Link? I've always thought this song was cool.
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Have you guys heard the recreation of this track that Ted Greenwald recorded some time back? I don't have his permission to post it, but if he sees this, maybe he will put it up again for a new audience.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
beatlesbelmo

Post by beatlesbelmo »

Hi Ted. Nice to see you here. You originally turned me on to Steph about 20 years ago. Love her original music and her work with Lez Zep.
Tried to download the two versions of Peace of Mind; however, got an error saying the encryption key was invalid. No idea what that means.
Belmo
applebonkerz

Post by applebonkerz »

beatlesbelmo wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:10 pm Hi Ted. Nice to see you here. You originally turned me on to Steph about 20 years ago. Love her original music and her work with Lez Zep.
Tried to download the two versions of Peace of Mind; however, got an error saying the encryption key was invalid. No idea what that means.
Belmo
It means you didn't change the xx in the address to tt to make the address actually work (which is common practice here.) ;)