This would be cool

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Darth Kybiel

Re: This would be cool

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Darth Kybiel wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:30 pm
MorseMoose wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:24 pm
harrylime wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:04 pm
I think you're confusing I Am The Walrus, there the stereo has the final part spliced in from mono because the radio broadcast was mixed in during the mono mixing. With Penny Lane the coda was readily available on the multitrack, used for the US promo mono mix but eventually left out from the other remixes.
You are technically correct, but, for the Beatles Box from Liverpool, they did create a fake mix with the trumpet coda from the US mono mix edited onto the end of the stereo mix. This was inspired by a bootlegger that did the exact same thing in the late 1970s. They did manage to repair it in the 1990s, but the fake mix had already been preserved on the US Rarities and the Beatles Box from Liverpool albums.
NO - The Penny Lane Stereo mix with the mono trumpet ending on the Beatles Box was the same mix from the US Beatles Rareties lp. Just saying it as an example as to how we could adapt guidelines, even with the modern tech available, to make the set sound like or seem like it was released at the same time period in the same Beatles Box style as we are at with a starting point. .
What makes you think it was made by a bootlegger is someone leaked half the Capitol US Rareties lp to bootleggers that used the 'new' Penny Lane mix on Casualties/Collector's Items bootleg lps
MorseMoose

Post by MorseMoose »

Darth Kybiel wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:30 pm
MorseMoose wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:24 pm
harrylime wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:04 pm
I think you're confusing I Am The Walrus, there the stereo has the final part spliced in from mono because the radio broadcast was mixed in during the mono mixing. With Penny Lane the coda was readily available on the multitrack, used for the US promo mono mix but eventually left out from the other remixes.
You are technically correct, but, for the Beatles Box from Liverpool, they did create a fake mix with the trumpet coda from the US mono mix edited onto the end of the stereo mix. This was inspired by a bootlegger that did the exact same thing in the late 1970s. They did manage to repair it in the 1990s, but the fake mix had already been preserved on the US Rarities and the Beatles Box from Liverpool albums.
NO - The Penny Lane Stereo mix with the mono trumpet ending on the Beatles Box was the same mix from the US Beatles Rareties lp. Just saying it as an example as to how we could adapt guidelines, even with the modern tech available, to make the set sound like or seem like it was released at the same time period in the same Beatles Box style as we are at with a starting point. .
Oh yeah, got the history mixed around. I do think that if someone were to do this set or something similar to it, they should/would be able to create outfakes/demixes like this.
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

You didn't get the history wrong, Morse. You were spot on. The Penny Lane mix was done by a bootlegger named "Richard" (and that's all we know) for his bootleg, "Collectors Items". Capitol replicated his mix for the US Rarities album. The whole story is recounted via a first-hand interview with "Richard" in Clinton Heylin's book, Bootleg, Capitol replicated the bootleg.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Did Richard explain earliest runout grooves of the first batch of records? Perhaps he was the one who leaked only one side of the record while Capitol was waiting to get final release approval? After so many decades, it wouldn't be a big deal to give a name. Which came first? Casualties or Collector's Items? I forget. I remember the less cropped butcher cover was leaked ahead of time too for Casualties.
RalseiDeltarune

Post by RalseiDeltarune »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:16 pm
RalseiDeltarune wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:47 pm Here's what I would put:

Love Me Do (Ringo Version - Stereo Remix)
P.S. I Love You (Live at the BBC)
I Saw Her Standing There (Take 9)
Please Please Me (Live at the Washington Collesium)
Misery (Take 7)
Do You Want To Know A Secret? (Take 5)
A Taste Of Honey (Take 6)
Twist And Shout (Anthology TV Stereo Mix)

From Us To You (Live At The BBC)
Thank You Girl (Alternate Mono Version)
She Loves You (Stereo Remix)
It Won't Be Long (Alternate Take)
Please Mister Postman (Alternate Take)
All My Loving (Hi-Hat Intro, Stereo Remix)
Roll Over Beethoven (Live At The Star Club)
Money (That's What I Want) (Live At The BBC)
I like this list, but it raises a thorny issue: do we choose the songs chronologically, or the performances? that is, is it okay to use Please Please Me (Live at the Washington Collesium) or should it be, say, from the March 63 Here We Go?
Hm. I think maybe the songs. My idea was that it was this "Alternate" box set. Like those Pear Records releases from the 2000's.
Interested in any/all Bootlegs. Sometimes I make my own.

Catalog is posted here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2649
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Doing it by songs would make it easier.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
ashwom1

Post by ashwom1 »

Disc One

Love Of The Loved
Besame Mucho (EMI stereo)
Some Other Guy (acetate)
Kansas City (acetate)
How Do You Do It (stereo unedited)
Love Me Do (Ringo)(stereo)
Please Please Me (Stereo mix of A1 outtake)
909 (Cavern)
Catswalk (Cavern)
Seventeen (Cavern)
I Saw Her Standing There (takes 6,7,8)(breakdowns and one complete)
There's A Place (takes 2,3)
A Taste of Honey (take 6)
Misery (take 1)
Do You Want To Know A Secret (take 7)
From Me To You (take ?)
Thank You Girl (take ?)
One After 909 (take 2)
She Loves You (Stereo)
I'll Get You (Stereo)
Don't Bother Me (take ?)
Hold Me Tight (multiple break downs and one complete)
Money (EMI)
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

ashwom1 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:45 pm Disc One

Love Of The Loved
Besame Mucho (EMI stereo)
Some Other Guy (acetate)
Kansas City (acetate)
How Do You Do It (stereo unedited)
Love Me Do (Ringo)(stereo)
Please Please Me (Stereo mix of A1 outtake)
909 (Cavern)
Catswalk (Cavern)
Seventeen (Cavern)
I Saw Her Standing There (takes 6,7,8)(breakdowns and one complete)
There's A Place (takes 2,3)
A Taste of Honey (take 6)
Misery (take 1)
Do You Want To Know A Secret (take 7)
From Me To You (take ?)
Thank You Girl (take ?)
One After 909 (take 2)
She Loves You (Stereo)
I'll Get You (Stereo)
Don't Bother Me (take ?)
Hold Me Tight (multiple break downs and one complete)
Money (EMI)
I thought we were sticking with when Ringo joined the group onward....Love Of The Loved, Besame Mucho would both be Pete Best. I think this list is sorta cool otherwise as it'd start off with Some Other Guy like an official bootleg box set should to match most documentaries.