This would be cool

Fan created remixes and rare variations
RalseiDeltarune

Re: This would be cool

Post by RalseiDeltarune »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:51 am Okay, so what WOULD we put in this fictional box set?

I invite you to submit your own selections for Volume 1. Some rules:

- The songs chosen must be from boots. Nothing from Anthology etc, but a different source of an anthology track from a boot (eg: the unedited How Do You Do It?) is okay.

- The songs from each volume must belong to the same timeline as the original lps (see pic below)

- We ignore Pete Best and start in August 1962 (sorry Pete).

- It doesn't exactly replicate any other known sets.

all.jpg
Here's what I would put:

Love Me Do (Ringo Version - Stereo Remix)
P.S. I Love You (Live at the BBC)
I Saw Her Standing There (Take 9)
Please Please Me (Live at the Washington Collesium)
Misery (Take 7)
Do You Want To Know A Secret? (Take 5)
A Taste Of Honey (Take 6)
Twist And Shout (Anthology TV Stereo Mix)

From Us To You (Live At The BBC)
Thank You Girl (Alternate Mono Version)
She Loves You (Stereo Remix)
It Won't Be Long (Alternate Take)
Please Mister Postman (Alternate Take)
All My Loving (Hi-Hat Intro, Stereo Remix)
Roll Over Beethoven (Live At The Star Club)
Money (That's What I Want) (Live At The BBC)
Interested in any/all Bootlegs. Sometimes I make my own.

Catalog is posted here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2649
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Mr Bump wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:54 am Are you offering to act as project co-ordinator here, LR? :D
I'm just wondering what fans would pick for such a fictional collection. If enough people respond then we can always go ahead and actually decide on a tracklist. But it would be good to know what everybody thinks.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

RalseiDeltarune wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:47 pm Here's what I would put:

Love Me Do (Ringo Version - Stereo Remix)
P.S. I Love You (Live at the BBC)
I Saw Her Standing There (Take 9)
Please Please Me (Live at the Washington Collesium)
Misery (Take 7)
Do You Want To Know A Secret? (Take 5)
A Taste Of Honey (Take 6)
Twist And Shout (Anthology TV Stereo Mix)

From Us To You (Live At The BBC)
Thank You Girl (Alternate Mono Version)
She Loves You (Stereo Remix)
It Won't Be Long (Alternate Take)
Please Mister Postman (Alternate Take)
All My Loving (Hi-Hat Intro, Stereo Remix)
Roll Over Beethoven (Live At The Star Club)
Money (That's What I Want) (Live At The BBC)
I like this list, but it raises a thorny issue: do we choose the songs chronologically, or the performances? that is, is it okay to use Please Please Me (Live at the Washington Collesium) or should it be, say, from the March 63 Here We Go?
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:16 pm
RalseiDeltarune wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:47 pm
I like this list, but it raises a thorny issue: do we choose the songs chronologically, or the performances? that is, is it okay to use Please Please Me (Live at the Washington Collesium) or should it be, say, from the March 63 Here We Go?
just treat the songs chronologically as long as it's not Love Me Do from Twikenham Jan 69
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Should live songs really need to be from just one performance? Penny Lane was a stereo mix with the trumpet ending of mono tacked on. So couldn't the live songs, using demixing, utilize splicing two live performances that are near identical? I wouldn't worry about the 'live performance timeline' too much as the song timeline. The charm of EMI sets is when they have those slight flaws but are still good to listen to straight through. So if the Please Please Me's are similar and can be faded together, I'd say play around with it and make it and let it be in it's album slot.
Should there be any pre or post song talk other than the occasional count ins? I think a set like this, trying to mimic an official sounding 'Rarity style' set, the way the actual Beatles Box was tid bits, I think it should sound like it should be like those early 80's EMI 'wanting' to put out a quality sounding product. So it should be geared like for the average fan as a listening type set not a 'I need to hear every session breath' type set. So being able to upgrade sound quality and demixing should all be ok as long as the sound can be matched to the quality of other songs on official releases of that song's year. After all it is a fan-based myth set for the average listening, so it shouldn't have up and down sound quality. A myth set wouldn't be 'plus or minus' when it comes to how the sound quality gets to proper listenability. We do want the set to sound like it would have blended in as an official release?
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

I don't think live tracks should be Star Club at all. Semi generic release songs make the set look dollar store cheap. Oldschool bootlegs would have wanted the set to look more like a gold mine of tracks.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

I would vote for a I Saw Her Standing There with the regular count in but the best version of each verse,refrain, and solo - not no ridiculous edited long solo, but like the best first/second halves, Having something like just take 9 seems like a missed opportunity. Someone like Lord Reith I'm sure could make a nice spliced together 'perfected' sounding version of the song that would sound like it was right out of that time period like on his Abracadabra sets. It could be an {Ultra Rare Mono or stereo version) mocking oldschool bootleg style releases. Giving it a little bit of an appeal to various types of collectors would be in the same idea as the original regular Beatles Box.
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

Darth Kybiel wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:05 am Penny Lane was a stereo mix with the trumpet ending of mono tacked on.
I think you're confusing I Am The Walrus, there the stereo has the final part spliced in from mono because the radio broadcast was mixed in during the mono mixing. With Penny Lane the coda was readily available on the multitrack, used for the US promo mono mix but eventually left out from the other remixes. In the Anthology remix they simply used the multitracks again and this time included the coda too, it wasn't related to a mono source. Also 'amateur' remixes can use the Anthology 5.1 as their source rather than bootlegs of the US promo.
MorseMoose

Post by MorseMoose »

harrylime wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:04 pm
Darth Kybiel wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:05 am Penny Lane was a stereo mix with the trumpet ending of mono tacked on.
I think you're confusing I Am The Walrus, there the stereo has the final part spliced in from mono because the radio broadcast was mixed in during the mono mixing. With Penny Lane the coda was readily available on the multitrack, used for the US promo mono mix but eventually left out from the other remixes.
You are technically correct, but, for the Beatles Box from Liverpool, they did create a fake mix with the trumpet coda from the US mono mix edited onto the end of the stereo mix. This was inspired by a bootlegger that did the exact same thing in the late 1970s. They did manage to repair it in the 1990s, but the fake mix had already been preserved on the US Rarities and the Beatles Box from Liverpool albums.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

MorseMoose wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:24 pm
harrylime wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:04 pm
I think you're confusing I Am The Walrus, there the stereo has the final part spliced in from mono because the radio broadcast was mixed in during the mono mixing. With Penny Lane the coda was readily available on the multitrack, used for the US promo mono mix but eventually left out from the other remixes.
You are technically correct, but, for the Beatles Box from Liverpool, they did create a fake mix with the trumpet coda from the US mono mix edited onto the end of the stereo mix. This was inspired by a bootlegger that did the exact same thing in the late 1970s. They did manage to repair it in the 1990s, but the fake mix had already been preserved on the US Rarities and the Beatles Box from Liverpool albums.
NO - The Penny Lane Stereo mix with the mono trumpet ending on the Beatles Box was the same mix from the US Beatles Rareties lp. Just saying it as an example as to how we could adapt guidelines, even with the modern tech available, to make the set sound like or seem like it was released at the same time period in the same Beatles Box style as we are at with a starting point. .