Official different/variation mixes

Fan created remixes and rare variations
I Am The Walrus

Re: Official different/variation mixes

Post by I Am The Walrus »

BungalowJim wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:05 pm Hi IATW,

A mix is when separate tracks of a multi-track tape, each track containing different elements such as individual instruments or vocals, are mixed together into a single mono or two track stereo "mix" (nowadays, in addition to stereo, things are mixed into 5.1 surround sound and beyond).

A remix is when an engineer goes back to the original multi-track tapes and mixes the elements again, therefore a remix.

A remaster uses an already existing mix and through EQ and other enhancements, tries to create a better sounding final result.

Hope this helps!
Hello BungalowJim,

Thank you very much for your kindness in answering me and clearing my doubts about this matter.
I have one more question and if you can help me one more time I would be grateful.
What is the correct way to describe these Mixes, I will give some examples.

I Saw Her Standing There (UK Stereo Mix) or (UK Stereo Remix)
Help! (US Stereo Mix) or (US Stereo Remix)
That Means A Lot (1982 Stereo Mix) or (1982 Stereo Remix) or (RS82)

I await your message.
I Am The Walrus

Ripped Image from THE COMPLETE STUDIO & HOME RECORDINGS Guide by maul.
I don't understand this, could someone explain it to me please?
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Notations.jpg
Notations.jpg (67.82 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
jpgrcat

Post by jpgrcat »

The original Pressing are using Mixes, either done by George Martin, for the UK
or Dave Dexter Jr. for the US Capitol versions, up to Rubber Soul
Yesterday & Today, & Revolver was mixed by Bill Miller

I do not know who mixed Magical Mystery Tour Capitol LP

Remixes, are on Rock And Roll Music, Love Songs, up to 20 Greatest hits, or The Beatles Number Ones [Australia]

plus, All the recent Box sets were remixes

Remastered...Best way to explain it
1993's McCartney CD's
Huge Beatles Fan & collector Anything Beatles/Solo related,

which includes NEMS, Apple, Dark Horse, Ring'O, & MPL Labels

Beach Boys/Related, & The Byrds/CSNY/Related..& many other acts
I Am The Walrus

jpgrcat wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:20 pm The original Pressing are using Mixes, either done by George Martin, for the UK
or Dave Dexter Jr. for the US Capitol versions, up to Rubber Soul
Yesterday & Today, & Revolver was mixed by Bill Miller

I do not know who mixed Magical Mystery Tour Capitol LP

Remixes, are on Rock And Roll Music, Love Songs, up to 20 Greatest hits, or The Beatles Number Ones [Australia]

plus, All the recent Box sets were remixes

Remastered...Best way to explain it
1993's McCartney CD's

Hello pgrcat,
Thank you very much for your explanations.
I Am The Walrus

Here is another example, a graphic from THE BEATLES - THE COMPLETE STUDIO & HOME RECORDINGS guide.
So these are not remixes but mixes, could someone explain this to me?
Sorry for so many questions.
I'm asking these questions because it's still a bit of a confusing subject for me. I don't want to have any problems with anyone at all.
Thank you.
Attachments
Remixes Variation.jpg
Remixes Variation.jpg (790.74 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
Guru-Deva

Post by Guru-Deva »

‘Mix’ and ‘Remix’ in Beatles terms are pretty interchangeable really.

The reason mixes have the EMI codes Of RS2 or RM1 or whatever is because RS is ‘Remix Stereo’ and RM is ‘Remix Mono’.

In those days ‘remix’ was used for the first and any subsequent mixes, but these days remix has come to mean more taking an existing multi-track and altering the flavour and feel of the song, sometimes by addition of new sounds, subtraction of sounds and / or editing.

So ‘mix’ is the modern term for ‘remix’, which now means to alter a tune.

If that makes sense?

Remix is historically accurate for vintage Beatles mixes, but it makes less sense in the language of today.

So use whatever you like :D
I Am The Walrus

Guru-Deva wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:12 pm ‘Mix’ and ‘Remix’ in Beatles terms are pretty interchangeable really.

The reason mixes have the EMI codes Of RS2 or RM1 or whatever is because RS is ‘Remix Stereo’ and RM is ‘Remix Mono’.

In those days ‘remix’ was used for the first and any subsequent mixes, but these days remix has come to mean more taking an existing multi-track and altering the flavour and feel of the song, sometimes by addition of new sounds, subtraction of sounds and / or editing.

So ‘mix’ is the modern term for ‘remix’, which now means to alter a tune.

If that makes sense?

Remix is historically accurate for vintage Beatles mixes, but it makes less sense in the language of today.

So use whatever you like :D
Guru-Deva,

Thank you very much for your explanations, now I'm starting to understand this subject a little better.
So all these descriptions (US Stereo Mix) or (US Stereo Remix) or (Stereo Remix 1982) or (1982 Stereo Remix) are correct?
Guru-Deva

Post by Guru-Deva »

Yes, for Beatles records the term ‘remix’ doesn’t tell you whether or not a mix was the first mix.

The original mix would be RM1, so even the first mix is called a ‘remix’

Then you’ll get RS1, so the stereo remix is called a ‘remix’

These days we would call both mixes.

Those lists will use the EMI codes, and therefore refer to them as ‘remixes’, while listing later mixes as just ‘mixes’ when the distinction in this case is false.
They’re all mixes, but some are called remixes on that list, probably to match EMI’s codes. At least that’s what I’m assuming - I confess I haven’t read all of it

If someone does a more modern Stereo mix in ‘82, that would be called ‘82 remix’ or something similar.

These days we would probably just call it the ‘82 mix’, though technically it is a remix, because every mix after the first is a remix.

If someone does a ‘Love’- style mix, that is more what the modern meaning of ‘remix’ is - the remixer has carte blanche to add or take away whatever they see fit and sometimes might keep only the vocal from the original for example.

So ‘remix’ means two things these days and it can be confusing.

In Beatles terms to ‘remix’ generally means to make another mix that emulates the originally released mix, but with different panning or EQ.
Like Giles’ remixes.
Or like Giles’ mixes.
Both make perfect sense.

Where EMI make it more confusing is by using the term ‘remix’ for the first mix, as well as every subsequent mix, which seems ungrammatical to us, because a mix is done after recording, whereas in the early days engineers would try to get aa good a possible mix while recording and just ‘remix’ the levels later. Obviously that became less of a thing when tracks started to be recorded individually, when the first mix would be the first attempt to balance all the elements.
I Am The Walrus

Guru-Deva wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:49 pm Yes, for Beatles records the term ‘remix’ doesn’t tell you whether or not a mix was the first mix.

The original mix would be RM1, so even the first mix is called a ‘remix’

Then you’ll get RS1, so the stereo remix is called a ‘remix’

These days we would call both mixes.

Those lists will use the EMI codes, and therefore refer to them as ‘remixes’, while listing later mixes as just ‘mixes’ when the distinction in this case is false.
They’re all mixes, but some are called remixes on that list, probably to match EMI’s codes. At least that’s what I’m assuming - I confess I haven’t read all of it

If someone does a more modern Stereo mix in ‘82, that would be called ‘82 remix’ or something similar.

These days we would probably just call it the ‘82 mix’, though technically it is a remix, because every mix after the first is a remix.

If someone does a ‘Love’- style mix, that is more what the modern meaning of ‘remix’ is - the remixer has carte blanche to add or take away whatever they see fit and sometimes might keep only the vocal from the original for example.

So ‘remix’ means two things these days and it can be confusing.

In Beatles terms to ‘remix’ generally means to make another mix that emulates the originally released mix, but with different panning or EQ.
Like Giles’ remixes.
Or like Giles’ mixes.
Both make perfect sense.

Where EMI make it more confusing is by using the term ‘remix’ for the first mix, as well as every subsequent mix, which seems ungrammatical to us, because a mix is done after recording, whereas in the early days engineers would try to get aa good a possible mix while recording and just ‘remix’ the levels later. Obviously that became less of a thing when tracks started to be recorded individually, when the first mix would be the first attempt to balance all the elements.
Guru-Deva,
Once again thank you very much, your explanations helped me a lot.