(OUTDATED) Watching Rainbows - The Ultimate Get Back Sessions Remaster (BETA RELEASE)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
iPanggo

Re: Watching Rainbows - The Ultimate Nagra Remaster (work in progress)

Post by iPanggo »

BDJ wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:12 am Looks like a project that will keep you busy for a while, and I hope you enjoy it.

I agree with you that many (all?) AI generate tracks lack high frequencies, above 11kHz. With good equipment, and young ears, you can actually hear that. I often also detect a swishy atmosphere, softening of the highs and lows, that I don't like.

Regarding your other 'corrections', I am not sure I would prefer them over the originals (Day by Day, A/B road).

There are no artefacts (pops and clicks) that need removing, and the Nagra recordings are pretty low in tape noise and hiss by themselves; treating them inevitably goes at the expense of some high frequencies. And ADT......ouch!

The ATRAC compression on some tracks is actually there; but it is an excellent compression algorithm, which only results in loss of frequencies above 16kHz. I challenge anyone to a A-B test to hear which track has ATRAC and which one hasn't. The difference is only detected when you inspect the spectrum.

It could be a good thing to normalise volume and EQ a bit, but I would be very careful with it. Twickenham and Apple Studios have very different soundscapes; to what do you normalise the EQ?
Little correction: I'm not using EQ, only for some cases. I'm mainly balancing the volumes, the Nagras are incredibly dynamic, so that helps having a better listening experience.
My corrections are mainly hum removal and restoring lost spectrum, also since I'm 16, I can hear the difference between lossy and lossless
The "ADT" is not really that, it's a plugin that Cubase has called "MonoToStereo", it's much more enjoyable than a normal ADT if setted correctly
Don't forget, I'm with you in the dark.
etidel

Post by etidel »

Fantastic job !!!
Please don't give up
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

BDJ wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:12 am Looks like a project that will keep you busy for a while, and I hope you enjoy it.

I agree with you that many (all?) AI generate tracks lack high frequencies, above 11kHz. With good equipment, and young ears, you can actually hear that. I often also detect a swishy atmosphere, softening of the highs and lows, that I don't like.

Regarding your other 'corrections', I am not sure I would prefer them over the originals (Day by Day, A/B road).

There are no artefacts (pops and clicks) that need removing, and the Nagra recordings are pretty low in tape noise and hiss by themselves; treating them inevitably goes at the expense of some high frequencies. And ADT......ouch!

The ATRAC compression on some tracks is actually there; but it is an excellent compression algorithm, which only results in loss of frequencies above 16kHz. I challenge anyone to a A-B test to hear which track has ATRAC and which one hasn't. The difference is only detected when you inspect the spectrum.

It could be a good thing to normalise volume and EQ a bit, but I would be very careful with it. Twickenham and Apple Studios have very different soundscapes; to what do you normalise the EQ?
Yes. I knew this isn't near as good as New Blue Soap when I saw ADT. I just got done deleting every track from Purple Chick that did not come close to New Blue Soap. I'm up to day 4 with making my own stems and stereo remasters of each day, but it's taking a long time, been digitally matching the sounds before and after every blip to sync a replica sound to replace each blip with the exact sound at exact quality it's overlapping. Nice part is I also been collecting wav samples of the notes of various instruments each day so musicians with sampler programss will be able to immitate the Beatles music playing each day. It's going to be a long while til the Twickenham set is done first. But many flaws will be gone from the stereo mixes. Using long shots from the Get Back movie as a reference to where instruments should be placed in the stereo mixes. Anyway, took a year to go through the whole month of January to make all the stems Now it's the harder part of making sure each instrument's track sounds as clear and clean as possible some tests of making emulations of the instruments and being able to make exact duplicate tracks were 50/50. If not perfectly replicating the sound of the mono source, ideas were scrapped.
Much2Much

Post by Much2Much »

This is a great project iPPango, super job, looking forward to hearing more.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Do you have anything from the last week that isn't on the 30th?
I can't Twickenham! I give them all new names like:
Pity (George)
Petty(Paul)
Pilly(John)
Potty(Ringo)
Billy Preston can make the nicknames disappear. The chanting Hare Krishna devotee cannot!
Mrbeatleg posted this-----> Chicago Fest For Beatles Aug 14, 2022) and I recommend the 'interview' w/ Michael Lindsay-Hogg found there. It is only two weeks old. He talks about Let It Be and Get Back and Peter Jackson.
(See)-----> viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4653&p=67510&hilit ... les#p67510
Otherwise, Twickenham is a worm and Savile Row is an Apple. But, I admire your enthusiasm. Please keep going. I want the properly recorded 8 track tapes to break free of the Nagra-Stranglehold that has kept everyone semi-confused about the true essence of two directors, two movies, many producers, cigar smoke and Neumann microphones. I am not unappreciative...I'm just suspicious about a movie production facility that can't make SECURITY a priority for a loaned/sub-let soundstage at 8AM on the first day of production. The chanting SAG member needs to be removed and maybe he can burn incense for a few weeks on the roof above Derek Taylor's office. How did that guy gain entrance? Please, it's rhetorical! But, Michael Lindsay-Hogg has redeemed himself for now! Good luck, iPanggo!!! And, thank you.
KC
iPanggo

Post by iPanggo »

Darth Kybiel wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:59 pm

Yes. I knew this isn't near as good as New Blue Soap when I saw ADT. I just got done deleting every track from Purple Chick that did not come close to New Blue Soap. I'm up to day 4 with making my own stems and stereo remasters of each day, but it's taking a long time, been digitally matching the sounds before and after every blip to sync a replica sound to replace each blip with the exact sound at exact quality it's overlapping. Nice part is I also been collecting wav samples of the notes of various instruments each day so musicians with sampler programss will be able to immitate the Beatles music playing each day. It's going to be a long while til the Twickenham set is done first. But many flaws will be gone from the stereo mixes. Using long shots from the Get Back movie as a reference to where instruments should be placed in the stereo mixes. Anyway, took a year to go through the whole month of January to make all the stems Now it's the harder part of making sure each instrument's track sounds as clear and clean as possible some tests of making emulations of the instruments and being able to make exact duplicate tracks were 50/50. If not perfectly replicating the sound of the mono source, ideas were scrapped.
lol. I knew that people on here would start criticising the "adt". just take a listen, way better than a plastic feeling panning and 11khz cut in my opinion
Don't forget, I'm with you in the dark.
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

iPanggo, what you've posted so far sounds great! Thank you for undertaking this colossal task... keep up the good work! 8-)
—Keith
Much2Much

Post by Much2Much »

Much2Much wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:24 pm This is a great project iPPango, super job, looking forward to hearing more.
Sorry, iPanggo, I am not very good with names.

I have listened to some of your mixes this afternoon. I was very impressed with the clarity.

Looking forward to more from you.
dumbchops

Post by dumbchops »

innerwreckdom here. I just wanted to clear up a few things about NBS (Stereo Edition). I used an online program (which I still am paying $6 a month for some reason) called Moises.ai which at the time sounded cool but has aged terribly in just 2 short years. I worked with lossless cd sources all of which are being used here (Yellow Dog, Perfect Crime, etc.) but I finally figured out that Moises cut off those high frequencies above 11kHz, not to mention the artifacts causing the "whacky" panning. I took the WAV files from those and mixed them down from 5 point stereo on Reaper and edited all the rolls together on Audacity. I still have all of those stems on a hard drive if anybody is interested in mixing their own version and I'd be happy to share them here if there is enough interest. My work was done on the original project very quickly doing the entire (approximately) 100 hours in less than four months. Earlier this year, I began making a (mostly) unnecessary mono version for easier listenability. I quit working on it after the 2nd volume when I began to disagree with the current numbering system. I do believe that needs more work but it must be done diplomatically in order to be accomplished. Anyway, it is that 2nd volume from January 3rd in the Mono Edition thread that I would say is worth keeping. I worked hard on syncing and speed correcting the different A and B rolls when there were unique recordings on each. As a matter of fact, I spent several grueling weeks working on it. Here's a quick link to that Volume:
hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1RywvEVUhFZyTMtOuaA7Plnma81ZViEij/view?usp=sharing
Good luck with your work, iPanggo. These sessions can get very tedious and overwhelming,
My full name is Uncle Capt. "Skipper" Dumbchops and I seem to have misplaced my electric pretzel sharpener.
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

iPanggo this is great stuff. thank you for what you've done so far, it sounds great