THE LOST '65 SINGLE

Fan created remixes and rare variations
paul62

Re: THE LOST '65 SINGLE

Post by paul62 »

Glad you like this version, 20YA! I was pleased to insert some "Can't you see...!!!" vocals in the coda. That bit in the middle you mention was something I really liked, as well: it made me think that I could synch the vocals from both versions (takes 1 and 21) and make it work in a version of manual double tracking. That sort of manual synching of two different vocals does takes a lot of time (just like old school spectral separation work does), so it might be something I may well do one day!!

I did separate the vocals from Take 21 and have the backing track (which is about 99% free of vocals (though an exact percentage figure is something I wouldn't be able to calculate!!)):

I took the trouble to take more than 99% of Ringo's vocal from my remix of John Barrett's mix of "If You've Got Trouble", as well.
That's here, along with the TMAL backing track:
hxxps://gofile.io/d/TGT9Id
Last edited by paul62 on Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
Tex

Post by Tex »

That instrumental is pretty neat. It actually reminds me of a Beach Boys backing track from that period.
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

Engonoceras wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:41 am That instrumental is pretty neat. It actually reminds me of a Beach Boys backing track from that period.
I was thinking the same thing... it's way more listenable without the vocals.
paul62

Post by paul62 »

It would have been interesting to hear how Brian Wilson would have tackled this song: he wrote "Girl Don't Tell Me" after being inspired by "Ticket To Ride" (and wanted to offer The Beatles a chance to record his song). The Beach Boys recorded a few Beatles songs for "Beach Boys' Party!" and did "Ticket To Ride" as part of those sessions. A version of "That Means A Lot" recorded for "Beach Boys' Party!" probably would have had as much laughter as the outtake of "And Your Bird Can Sing" from Anthology 2 (and would have been similarly ruined as a result by the laughter!!).

"That Means A Lot", produced by Brian with The Wrecking Crew and Glen Campbell on vocals, might have been a fine B-side for "Guess I'm Dumb":
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Some more backing tracks for "TMAL"

Take 1:

Take 20 and take 21:

Another interesting take was Take 24: it's a shame that John Barrett's cassette ran out of tape (and the whole performance wasn't available for us to hear...).

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
Rave O Lucien

Post by Rave O Lucien »

This is fascinating stuff, paul62. Looking through my own Barrett folder, there is a "Take 2" that might sound good if it weren't drenched in reverb. It's track #14 on the first CD of Turn Me On Dead Man, and might not need much fixing, performance wise.
When you've got it, jump up! ~ John Lennon
skynet

Post by skynet »

paul62 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:12 pm Some more backing tracks for "TMAL"

Take 1:

Take 20 and take 21:

Another interesting take was Take 24: it's a shame that John Barrett's cassette ran out of tape (and the whole performance wasn't available for us to hear...).

Nice work Paul62 and really nice to hear your work again :) ... have you guys ever noticed that the backing of TMAL resembles strongly the one from "Ticket to Ride"? or am i hearing things? :lol:
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

skynet wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:16 pm have you guys ever noticed that the backing of TMAL resembles strongly the one from "Ticket to Ride"? or am i hearing things? :lol:
Yes, me. Ringo around this time started experimenting with different drum beats, starting with I Feel Fine. This drum beat is actually similar to Arthur Alexander's Soldier Of Love ie: a military style beat.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I think TMAL was also inadvertently momentous in that it was the first time they dubbed across to a second 4 track recorder.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Onkster II

Post by Onkster II »

"Inadvertantly momentous"? Is that just a fancy way of saying...that means a lot? *snicker*