The Beatles Greatest (Dutch Post 1971 Version) (DESS)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
ianbuckers

Re: The Beatles Greatest (Dutch Post 1971 Version) (DESS)

Post by ianbuckers »

yymca6 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:16 pm I compared all 3 of these versions with the one in the huge Beatles VI link.

First only apesrfools has the Pre 1971 edition with I Feel Fine (Duophonic Stereo - Echo Laden) and All My Loving (Hi-hat count-in). So nothing to compare with unfortunately and it has assist scan that looks accurate accurate according to Moptop's Beatles Info site.

All the other Post 1971 edition have different FFP files, so they look different.

pumma4's version has files dated in 2014 but his Disc scan is the 2007 version
apesrfools's version has files dated in 2013 but his Disc scan is the Pre 1971 version
Beatles VI's version has files dated in 2009 but his Disc scan is the 2008 version (and has CUE and LOG files.

So the story says that Beatles VI's version seems to be the closest to the original and was ripped not long after the 2008 pressing was issued.

Being a completist I'll keep the others...
Yves could you post a link to "the huge Beatles VI link" as I am struggling to locate...

Thanks, Ian.
gonchichi

Post by gonchichi »

ianbuckers wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:37 am
yymca6 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:16 pm I compared all 3 of these versions with the one in the huge Beatles VI link.

First only apesrfools has the Pre 1971 edition with I Feel Fine (Duophonic Stereo - Echo Laden) and All My Loving (Hi-hat count-in). So nothing to compare with unfortunately and it has assist scan that looks accurate accurate according to Moptop's Beatles Info site.

All the other Post 1971 edition have different FFP files, so they look different.

apesrfools's version has files dated in 2013 but his Disc scan is the Pre 1971 version
Beatles VI's version has files dated in 2009 but his Disc scan is the 2008 version (and has CUE and LOG files.

So the story says that Beatles VI's version seems to be the closest to the original and was ripped not long after the 2008 pressing was issued.

Yves could you post a link to "the huge Beatles VI link" as I am struggling to locate...

Thanks, Ian.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3450
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

Yves I have just checked out the version in Beatles VI's folder and it isn't the post 1971 version...there's no hi-hat into on All My Loving.

But you did say "First only apesrfools has the Pre 1971 edition with I Feel Fine (Duophonic Stereo - Echo Laden) and All My Loving (Hi-hat count-in)" so I guess taht's why. But isn't it the POST 1971 pressing that have the 3 variations? Not PRE 1971?
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

ianbuckers wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:18 pm

Yves I have just checked out the version in Beatles VI's folder and it isn't the post 1971 version...there's no hi-hat into on All My Loving.

But you did say "First only apesrfools has the Pre 1971 edition with I Feel Fine (Duophonic Stereo - Echo Laden) and All My Loving (Hi-hat count-in)" so I guess taht's why. But isn't it the POST 1971 pressing that have the 3 variations? Not PRE 1971?
Sorry Ian but I don't get it. Your post got me confused at first.

The Pre 1971 has the hi-hat count-in but not the Post 1971. That is a fact, right?

I just compared the apesrfools Pre-1971 with his Post 1971 and that is exactly the case. Pre 191 = Hi-Hat and Post-1971 = No Hi-Hat. Then I opened AML in PaulVI's link and there is no Hi-Hat, thus it is a Post-1971 edition.
Yves
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

My understanding is that any post 1971 Netherlands pressing has the 3 variations.
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

ianbuckers wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:06 pm My understanding is that any post 1971 Netherlands pressing has the 3 variations.
Well that's not what I understand from Moptop's Beatles Info site and I quote from his post-1971 page (see post #1 on page 1):

"After several years selling a rip of the inferior original pre 1971 pressing of this a title the Doc released the post 1971 reissue of the Dutch compilation album The Beatles' Greatest which not only had a different master and mixes but sounded great. This pressing can easily be identified by STERMA appearing below The Beatles on the record label and this appears on the Doc's disc artwork.

The easiest way to tell the two versions apart is by listening on this reissue I Feel Fine is in true stereo and has the Whispering intro and less reverb and All My Loving has no Hi-hat count-in ." (Note: Doc is Dr.Ebbetts).

And you are referring to 3 variations, I know of two (IFF and AML).

I'll check later on in Maul's PDF, or I'll send him a PM.. Maybe we'll get the definitive answer.

I would have asked also Moptop but I know he's pretty busy these days.

Keep me posted if you have more info on this.
Yves
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

I just checked in Maul's PDF for All My Loving and he just mentions that the Hi-Hat intro version was on the 1964 German single (in fake mono), the German With The Beatles LP and finally the 1965 (so Pre-1971) German Beatles's Greatest LP.
Yves
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

yymca6 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:29 pm I just checked in Maul's PDF for All My Loving and he just mentions that the Hi-Hat intro version was on the 1964 German single (in fake mono), the German With The Beatles LP and finally the 1965 (so Pre-1971) German Beatles's Greatest LP.
That's all German pressings. We are discussing Dutch/The Netherlands pressings.
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

ianbuckers wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:33 pm
yymca6 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:29 pm I just checked in Maul's PDF for All My Loving and he just mentions that the Hi-Hat intro version was on the 1964 German single (in fake mono), the German With The Beatles LP and finally the 1965 (so Pre-1971) German Beatles's Greatest LP.
That's all German pressings. We are discussing Dutch/The Netherlands pressings.
Yes I know, but I (wild) guessed that the Odeon Dutch people used the German version to issue their own version.

I'll PM Maul this afternoon to see what he has to say on this.
Yves
maul

Post by maul »

I Feel Fine versions in Dutch and German pressings, for me, is a pending and not completely resolved issue.
The problem is that the German and Dutch sources are not completely reliable: DESS, Helter Skelter's, "Every Little Thing"'s tracks not rarely do not match in finer details as the "type" of Fake Stereo sound and/or the amount of reverb... :? :(
DESS is also renowned :D for his casually replacement of tracks with the corresponding ones but taken from other rips/releases :o : not exactly a 'solid ground' :D

Having said that, leaving out the problematic German drops, taking account only of Dutch releases
and considering these Dr.Ebbetts Dutch drops honest and reliable ;) we can summarize as follows:

DESS did two versions of Dutch Greatest
V1 (Pre-71)
I Feel Fine: fake stereo
All my Loving: hi-hat start

V2 (Post-71)
I Feel Fine: True stereo, whispering intro
All my Loving: regular edited start

-----------------------------------------------------

All the shared versions are DESS and all belongs to one of the two versions above:

V1 : [Apesrfools v1]

V2 :[Beatles VI Mega Folder], [Apesrfools v2], [Pumma4]

to be clearer: [Beatles VI Mega Folder], [Apesrfools v2], [Pumma4] are IDENTICAL