The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
jpa

Re: Concert at Budokan 1966 DVD (VAP LaserDisc) +

Post by jpa »

Thanks for this!
CristobalH96

Post by CristobalH96 »

to me, the hmc dvd is the closest version to anthology footage, but this laserdisc looks insanely good, thanks so much
Eric_Manchester

Post by Eric_Manchester »

It's hard to really tell the quality of the material based on a camera pointed at a smaller image being played. It looks good, but the only way to really tell would be to see the full-screen image at actual resolution.

3/4" U-Matic was a professional format, so transfers from that tape are likely going to look better than any made from consumer formats. They'll have built-in time base correction. Resolution is somewhat better, but not massively so. I've got copies of 3/4" masters of some (non-Beatles) programs, and while they look better than the VHS or laserdisc, the difference isn't earth-shattering.

The tape label says that it's a "Copy From Original 1" Master Video Tape." I'm pretty sure that the show was recorded on 2" Quad machines, so this is at best a 3/4" copy of a 1" copy of the original 2" master. Still, that may be much better than we've got before.

One thing to keep in mind is that the NTSC standard in Japan is somewhat different from that in the rest of the world. Unlike other NTSC, the black level, or pedestal, in Japan is 0 IRE, not 7.5. That means that transfers done using US standards will crush the darks a bit, hiding detail in the blacks. The base white point is also higher (a little bluer), which may account for the reddish quality people are noting.

When I watch Japanese VHS tapes, I need to make some setting changes to my display so they look correct. The differences can be subtle, and many people may not notice them. If they aren't transferred with the right luminance range, though, no post-process can pull the details back out of the blacks. They just won't be there.