Please Please Me (lossless stereo remix using the 2009 stereo remaster)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Another nice one I've done in recent times, a complete revamp of an earlier stereo remix of mine from late 2016.
As the notes say:
This 100% lossless stereo remix was made by paul62 using the USB stick version of the album. Audacity and Adobe Audition were used and as no spectral stems were used in making these remixes, "Love Me Do" and "P.S. I Love You" have been excluded.
hxxps://gofile.io/d/bgAuCZ
Last edited by paul62 on Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
noirbar

Re: Please Please Me (lossless stereo remix using 2009 stereo remasters)

Post by noirbar »

Excellent. Thanks for posting.
K_A_P68

Post by K_A_P68 »

Still loving this Paul, nice job!
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

paul62 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:11 pm Another nice one I've done in recent times, a complete revamp of an earlier stereo remix of mine from late 2016.
As the notes say:
This 100% lossless stereo remix was made by paul62 using the USB stick version of the album. Audacity and Adobe Audition were used and as no spectral stems were used in making these remixes, "Love Me Do" and "P.S. I Love You" have been excluded.
Please Please Me (lossless stereo remix using 2009 stereo remasters)
hxxps://gofile.io/d/bgAuCZ
Interesting... I've just been comparing "Anna" and "A Taste of Honey" between this version, the 2009 remaster, and LR's Abracadabra Redux 1 versions... this one is definitely the one that's been de-loudified most, and has the narrowest stereo range. At times, it's very mono-esque. Plus, it has the least reverb.*

It's strange. Only today, I was telling someone how I actually prefer the reverb added to most of the PPM tracks. But this makes me rethink that a bit. Which versions here (and elsewhere) people prefer will be a matter of personal taste, but one thing's for certain for me: I DO NOT prefer the 2009 legit mixes.

What were your objectives when setting out to create this remix. And why did you exclude "Love Me Do" and "PS I Love You"?

*though LR's recent Dry Baby Dry version of "Anna" is the driest of the bunch.
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

This sounds interesting thanks.
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Glad you like this, 20YearsAgo, K_A_P68, noirbar and barrythehamster!!!
20YearsAgo wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:22 pm
Interesting... I've just been comparing "Anna" and "A Taste of Honey" between this version, the 2009 remaster, and LR's Abracadabra Redux 1 versions... this one is definitely the one that's been de-loudified most, and has the narrowest stereo range. At times, it's very mono-esque. Plus, it has the least reverb.*

It's strange. Only today, I was telling someone how I actually prefer the reverb added to most of the PPM tracks. But this makes me rethink that a bit. Which versions here (and elsewhere) people prefer will be a matter of personal taste, but one thing's for certain for me: I DO NOT prefer the 2009 legit mixes.

What were your objectives when setting out to create this remix. And why did you exclude "Love Me Do" and "PS I Love You"?

Interesting question asking about my objectives in making these remixes, 20YearsAgo! I guess the main objective was to make the weird/wide/one-sided stereo mixes that were common in the '50s and '60s into more coherent mixes suitable for headphone listening.

About six years ago, I invented this remixing process where I take 60 Hz to 198 Hz into the centre (in 3 Hz steps, so 60, 63, 66, 69 (and so on) 189, 192, 195, 198 Hz). This takes a lot of sonic information into the centre.

After making the 47 steps (which is a time consuming task in itself), very wide stereo tracks and tracks with vocals on one side and backing track on the other become a more pleasing and modern stereo (some tracks end up as a kind of spacious mono, but stereo all the same, when listened via headphones). Vocals, drums and bass become centred, but (for example) the shimmer of acoustic guitars remain left (or right) of centre (as do other elements of the mix) to keep a stereo soundstage. I'm noticing the acoustic guitars on these PPM songs a lot more with this remix.

If someone took 20 Hz to 500 Hz into the centre (so, 481 steps), they'd be spending a lot of time doing it but they'd have a track that was, to all intents and purposes, monophonic as the end result of their labours. Which speaks volumes about just how much sonic information is in that 20-500 Hz band.

(A process like this would benefit from having a Python-scripted program written: I remember csnyfan thanking me for introducing him to the concept of the bass to center technique back "in the 'zone" a few years ago. As he has written some excellent Python-scripted programs, it would be well within his capabilities to write one to perform the Bass To Center function as an automated process (if he wanted to)).

Just wanted to show the power of the Bass To Center function in Audacity to change the shape (and sound) of a stereo track without making any alterations to the EQ shape/curve of the track. As an example to show, here's before and after snapshots of the title track of SPLHCB:
01 SPLHCB before bass to center
01 SPLHCB after bass to center

01 SPLHCB before bass to center (with frequency analysis)
01 SPLHCB after bass to center (with frequency analysis)
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

20YearsAgo wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:22 pm

With the old twin-track stereo mix of PPM, the reverb was more noticeable because of the discrete mixing style used on those mixes. The reverb is spread across the stereo soundstage, so using the Bass To Center functionality has changed the soundstage (and made the reverb less noticeable as a result). Other than that being a natural consequence of what I did do to these tracks, I didn't undertake any further dereverberation work on these tracks.

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

Interesting explanation... but for a techno-dummy like me, a lot of this flies over my head. I'm curious though-- can you upload the SPLHCB track 01 after the "bass to the center" function? I'd love to compare the two. Also, for that one, which release of SPLHCB did you start with? Thanks!
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Sure, 20YearsAgo: will do! I'll start a thread called SPLHCB (lossless stereo remix using 2009 stereo remaster) soonish!!

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
gaizoku

Re: Please Please Me (lossless stereo remix using the 2009 stereo remaster)

Post by gaizoku »

Nice Sound!
Can you up road 24bit version?
Please let me know.
Thank you.