Beatles - Ampex reel-to-reel tapes

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
powerPC

Beatles - Ampex reel-to-reel tapes

Post by powerPC »

These are probably fairly common now, but back in my “early” trading days these seemed to be highly sought after… at least I was always on the lookout for them. But with all of the newer Beatles remasters (and fantastic needle-drops), these are probably somewhat redundant and non-essential nowadays. However, if anyone here doesn’t already have them, I’m sharing these exactly as I received them (whether or not they are actually taken from Ampex reel tapes I do not know).

They sound very good, but I think there’s something a little “off” with the speed, or pitch, or something like that (obviously I’m not an audio expert LOL)… so if any of you audio gurus out there feel like doing any necessary corrections or adjustments, please feel free to do so and share it with this group (I’d LOVE this set in better sound quality if possible). :D

THE MILLENNIUM REMASTERS COLLECTION ["audiophile archival recordings 24 bit mastering"]

Volume 1:
Meet the Beatles (Capitol/Ampex L-2047)
Beatles Second Album (Capitol/Ampex L-2080)

hxxps://mega.nz/file/r54CFZDK#Vhda-cbrU ... XqChWDeod4

Volume 2:
Beatles '65 (Capitol/Ampex L-2228)
Beatles VI (Capitol/Ampex L-2358)

hxxps://mega.nz/file/S4pW3ZjA#8fUGOOmxk ... HxZcPmnUe0

Volume 3:
Something New (possibly Capitol Y2T-2382 on 3-3/4 IPS tape?)
[^This album was only issued on reel-to-reel format together with "Beatles VI. It went out of print by 1971 (see https://www.friktech.com/btls/tapes/rtr.pdf)]
Early Beatles (L-2309)

hxxps://mega.nz/file/71xwlJgZ#spgYuqE1H ... O9wNV0s8dQ

Volume 4:
Help! (Capitol/Ampex L-2386)
Rubber Soul (Capitol/Ampex L-2442)
[^These are the US mixes. Definitely different stereo mixes here: "The Word" is a unique US mix. The shaker that is usually mixed to the right channel is sent to the left; "I'm Looking Through You" has the false start; "Girl" is mixed with the bass in the middle instead of one side.]

hxxps://mega.nz/file/vlpSjbLD#CcrRBdswi ... qivecCxemM

Volume 5:
Yesterday & Today (Capitol/Ampex L-2553)
[^As with ALL tape formats, all of the songs on this tape are in true stereo]
Revolver (Capitol/Ampex L-2576)

hxxps://mega.nz/file/614SgJKK#qk5NDqn2G ... xzYwsAqQd0

Volume 6:
The Beatles vol. 1 & vol. 2 (White Album) (Apple/Ampex L-101/L-2101)
[^This issue contained eight tracks in edited form: "Dear Prudence", "Glass Onion", "Don't Pass Me By", "Why Don't We Do It In The Road?". "Yer Blues", "Helter Skelter", "Cry Baby Cry" and "Revolution 9". These are unique to the album's Ampex reel-to-reel version, and have not been issued since.]

hxxps://mega.nz/file/L9gSVZjR#UwIIaZLPU ... IEdgqvxVKU

Volume 7:
Magical Mystery Tour (Capitol/Ampex L-2835)
Hey Jude (Beatles Again) (Apple/Ampex L-385)

hxxps://mega.nz/file/HhgADLZI#Yn4Athx0g ... wUDgTUsaGA

MERILEE RECORDS [different bootleg source than Millennium Remasters]

Meet the Beatles ("Merilee" source) (Capitol/Ampex L-2047)

hxxps://mega.nz/file/nwoUEJID#wkaI_t1Ai ... BsODcWJQWg

Abbey Road ("Merilee" source) (Apple/Ampex L-383)

hxxps://mega.nz/file/K9xkBRrK#NMpsCP3Iv ... 6lSkhw3I1g

Hey Jude ("Merilee" source) (Apple/Ampex L-385)

hxxps://mega.nz/file/Gt5iWRyB#QE3mtns5l ... xUURIfzC1M

Of the two duplicate titles (Meet the Beatles & Hey Jude); I can’t really discern which source is better for each… both have their pros and cons.

The downloads contain the original FLAC files as I received them, including the original artwork. I made different artwork for my own use, you’re welcome to use it as well:

hxxps://mega.nz/file/2l500RrT#UyWPO3Pp6 ... wtuFlUTKbg

—Enjoy!
powerPC
—Keith
noirbar

Re: Beatles - Ampex reel-to-reel tapes

Post by noirbar »

Fantastic!! Lovely Sunday morning gift.

I don't know about comparison to vinyl drops, but sounds great to me.

Thanks again PPC!!!
cybermedios

Post by cybermedios »

Wonderful
Thanks a lot for share it¡¡¡
Cybermedios (a.k.a. lappin7 in bootlegzone)
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Glad you like them! :)
—Keith
BeatleGuy1949

Post by BeatleGuy1949 »

I used to have a couple of these reels back in the day. Brings back memories. Thank You!!
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

Thanks a million, I had the Millenium not the other ones. Now I have them...
Yves
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

All it’s missing is SPLHCB, but since 4-track-mind shared the 1969 Toshiba "EAXA-5087" reel of Pepper on another post, I now feel this collection to be “complete” (if that’s possible 😂).
—Keith
noirbar

Post by noirbar »

Hey gang, speaking of Capitol, have our experts here ever opined on the "definitive" drops of the Capitol vinyl? I really like Doc E's work, although not sure if he did any tweaking. Doc himself initially said that the official Capitol Volume 1 & 2 releases superseded his work, but later came back and indicated he didn't think these CD sets truly captured the original feel. I think pbthal may have released flat drops of Meet the Beatles and 2nd Album, but I'm not sure whether he tried to cover the Capitol universe. I"m also unsure whether Spock, Misterclaudel, Doc Robert, etc. ever tried their hand.

Curious on opinions on best Capitol drops out there. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

NB
Suzy Parlourphone

Post by Suzy Parlourphone »

noirbar wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:38 pm Hey gang, speaking of Capitol, have our experts here ever opined on the "definitive" drops of the Capitol vinyl? I really like Doc E's work, although not sure if he did any tweaking. Doc himself initially said that the official Capitol Volume 1 & 2 releases superseded his work, but later came back and indicated he didn't think these CD sets truly captured the original feel. I think pbthal may have released flat drops of Meet the Beatles and 2nd Album, but I'm not sure whether he tried to cover the Capitol universe. I"m also unsure whether Spock, Misterclaudel, Doc Robert, etc. ever tried their hand.

Thanks in advance!!

NB
Pbthal has done drops of Beatles '65, Meet The Beatles, The Beatles' Second Album, Rubber Soul (US), Revolver (US), and MMT (US) (all mono). Also the US Let It Be and UK Hey Jude, which are stereo. Those are the ones that I am aware of at least.
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

noirbar wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:38 pm Hey gang, speaking of Capitol, have our experts here ever opined on the "definitive" drops of the Capitol vinyl? I really like Doc E's work, although not sure if he did any tweaking. Doc himself initially said that the official Capitol Volume 1 & 2 releases superseded his work, but later came back and indicated he didn't think these CD sets truly captured the original feel. I think pbthal may have released flat drops of Meet the Beatles and 2nd Album, but I'm not sure whether he tried to cover the Capitol universe. I"m also unsure whether Spock, Misterclaudel, Doc Robert, etc. ever tried their hand.

Thanks in advance!!

NB
That's a great question noirbar -- I've wondered this as well.
—Keith