EVOLVER

Fan created remixes and rare variations
InnerLight

Re: EVOLVER (Mirror Mirror + Now And Then)

Post by InnerLight »

csnyfan wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:57 am Best settings are -n mdx_extra --shifts=10
Thank you. 8-)
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Just a reminder that all tracks including the new ones are available in Leaping Armadillos' link:

https://tinyurl.com/jbk6w4nw
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Applejam101

Post by Applejam101 »

Marvelous! Mirror Mirror! Magical. It really helps the song when the instruments are in tune.
El_Garnatí

Post by El_Garnatí »

Lord, It sounds magnificent. Great job.
Thanks.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

Can't stop listening to the new version of Now and Then. It's incredible.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

cliftdean74 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:49 pm Can't stop listening to the new version of Now and Then. It's incredible.
Thankyou my boy. 8-)
brainwashed

Post by brainwashed »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:02 pm
cliftdean74 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:49 pm Can't stop listening to the new version of Now and Then. It's incredible.
Thankyou my boy. 8-)
I can't begin to express my appreciation for these "new" versions you've created. You've always been a highly talented remixer and Beatles custodian, but your talent augmenting John's demos is on a whole new level. I've been involved in similar projects, but yours are just sublime and dead-on perfect. I humbly bow my head head to your sir. The demo I'd love to see you work your magic on is the acoustic guitar demo of Grow Old With Me. John's voice is extremely clear and it would allow you to add piano, bass and even some of the Lord Orchestra too. Basically doing a better job than Sir George did himself... who admittedly didn't have the high quality acoustic performance to use. So glad I'm here with such good friends and talented folks. Ron
Gilbeatle

Post by Gilbeatle »

Thank you !!!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

brainwashed wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:25 pm I can't begin to express my appreciation for these "new" versions you've created. You've always been a highly talented remixer and Beatles custodian, but your talent augmenting John's demos is on a whole new level. I've been involved in similar projects, but yours are just sublime and dead-on perfect. I humbly bow my head head to your sir. The demo I'd love to see you work your magic on is the acoustic guitar demo of Grow Old With Me. John's voice is extremely clear and it would allow you to add piano, bass and even some of the Lord Orchestra too. Ron
Geez, thanks Ron I'm speechless. I've been thinking about GOWM and I think it could work yes. I just want to make sure I capture the same mood as the original demo. I have also heard "She's A Friend Of Sally" and can't believe all these good songs that John wrote but never recorded that I didn't know about. Just another reminder of what we all lost that day.
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:57 pm
brainwashed wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:25 pm I can't begin to express my appreciation for these "new" versions you've created. You've always been a highly talented remixer and Beatles custodian, but your talent augmenting John's demos is on a whole new level. I've been involved in similar projects, but yours are just sublime and dead-on perfect. I humbly bow my head head to your sir. The demo I'd love to see you work your magic on is the acoustic guitar demo of Grow Old With Me. John's voice is extremely clear and it would allow you to add piano, bass and even some of the Lord Orchestra too. Ron
Geez, thanks Ron I'm speechless. I've been thinking about GOWM and I think it could work yes. I just want to make sure I capture the same mood as the original demo. I have also heard "She's A Friend Of Sally" and can't believe all these good songs that John wrote but never recorded that I didn't know about. Just another reminder of what we all lost that day.
You mean "Sally And Billy" and "She's A Friend Of Dorothy" ?
"Sally And Billy" was already started as a piano demo in 1970; John continued this song in 1975 which implies that the chorus he used for "Only People" did not matter for him.
Had Yoko been not pregnant, there was a plan for recording another studio album quickly after the release of Rock'N'Roll album.
"Whatever Happened Too...?" although not a piano song, but a staccato guitar song with a way of playing it a bit like Richie Havens have a lot of potential : a catchy chorus and some interesting, introspective lyrics, but - like Sally and Billy - a third person story song. Basically, talking about "loosing the touch"...

there are 2 demos around of "Grow Old With Me" on acoustic guitar : released by His Master's Choice. These acoustic demos remained unreleased until "At Home" by HMC in 2008, then another acoustic demo (perhaps the first acoustic demo (because of John's voice insured) on "Borrowed Time" by HMC. Singled tracked piano vocals of the piano demo (the one double-tracked on Milk & Honey) were also released at the same time (without the rhythm box).
Both approaches have great sound quality (the acoustic one, and the single-tracked vocal piano demos).
Furthermore, we have John's handwritten notes about this song that I have posted here (John wrote that he had in mind : "Imagine" for the "sound" and some strings arrangement (but probably way more discreet than the George Martin arrangement for Anthology box set. So I guess John had some strings arrangement a-la Phil Spector (like on "How" or "Imagine") . He was really proud about this song (that's what Yoko wrote in the Milk & Honey liner notes), and the tragic irony is that he pushed the recording of this song for later.
There is a short portion of "Gone From This Place" played in studio in front of the band; but when some of the musicians asked what is it, John replied "it's another song but we'll see later..." and they quickly refocuses on the Double Fantasy material.