EVOLVER

Fan created remixes and rare variations
harrythebannister

Re: EVOLVER (Help, SFFx2, There's A Place + re-up)

Post by harrythebannister »

Fantastic...thanks.
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

Just chiming in to say how entertained and amazed I am by these mixes!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

masterjedi wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:51 am Just chiming in to say how entertained and amazed I am by these mixes!
I was thinking maybe you could use Ask Me Why and There's A Place in your new set. I'll do that short take of ISHST too (take 11 I think).

I just did the mono mix of Money and realised something. The handclaps in the middle are different to the handclaps in the stereo version, and there's also clacking drumsticks at many points and not just in the intro. Paul also says "Yeaaahhh" in a low voice just as John screams. But the handclaps in the stereo mix are in the centre and the piano is on on the RIGHT... so they must have either done two sets of overdubs or (more likely) the supposed stereo mix made out of two mono mixes played in synch is actually just a live stereo mix, with the handclaps panned centre and the piano panned right.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Tex

Post by Tex »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:51 am..the supposed stereo mix made out of two mono mixes played in synch is actually just a live stereo mix, with the handclaps panned centre and the piano panned right.
You are correct. I said the exact same at BZ and Hoffman a few times contrary to everyone else. People don't realize the account in "Recording Sessions" was written by someone with very little technical knowledge and winged it a lot trying to make sense of the recording notes. The correct answer (live overdubs during stereo mixing) is just common sense and infinitely easier that trying to run two tape machines in sync. Just by comparing the left channel of "Money" and with the right channel in a DAW they stay in perfect sync although they are offset by like 6 (or 9?) samples in time but there is NO wavering of that separation. The perfect sync alone rules out analog synchronization because tapes machines have terrible wow/flutter.

As far as why the L/R channels are time delayed that much who knows. All the digital masters have the L/R channels offset by 1 or more samples by the way. When I used to do center channel extractions using that Winamp plug I'd ALWAYS have to realign the L/R channels FIRST and it gave much better separations. If I didn't do that I would get channel bleed-over in the high frequencies especially with stuff like vocal sibilants.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Engonoceras wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:33 pm As far as why the L/R channels are time delayed that much who knows. All the digital masters have the L/R channels offset by 1 or more samples by the way.
Yes. The Beatles For Sale remaster has the left and right channels offset by a sample or two and the track Help! has one too.
Lord Reith

Re: EVOLVER (Can't Buy Me Love)

Post by Lord Reith »

Here's another hot from the oven...

When The Beatles recorded Can't Buy Me Love in Paris the engineers didn't quite nail Ringo's trademark "open hi hat" cymbal sound (the hi hat is the small flying saucer shaped cymbal that sits to the left of the drummer and can be opened and closed with a footpedal. Opening it produces the shimmering cymbal sound common to many iconic early Beatles records). So when it came to mixing, they actually had someone (probably Norman Smith, who was a drummer) play an open hi hat along with the multitrack, the whole shebang being mixed down live to mono tape.

Now, when they did the stereo mix they either didn't care or forgot about this extra adornment. So the stereo mix has always lacked that exciting shimmer that the mono mix has. This has always been a huge letdown for me. I've always wanted to add this extra cymbal work to the stereo mix, and I think the first attempt I made at this was to add some of the treble of the mono mix to the stereo one (with less than stellar results, so never shared).

Finally though I've managed to isolate the extra hi hat and have added it to my dry stereo mix from Dry Baby Dry, because the mono mix also has a lot less reverb.

The hi hat is in the centre and starts with "I'll buy you diamond rings" and ends at 1'57" with a single crash of the hi hat.

Enjoy! :ugeek: Tsh-tsh-tsh-tsh...

https://tinyurl.com/expires-june-5th
JoeWadley

Post by JoeWadley »

Attention to detail! Thank you.
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

Thanks for the latest addition LR.
James carlane3