EVOLVER

Fan created remixes and rare variations
alphabeatles

Re: EVOLVER (Sour Milk Sea)

Post by alphabeatles »

Thanks for another great remix!

Can you try a version with the vocal brought up about 50-75%? The rowdy backing is stiff competition.
Gilbeatle

Post by Gilbeatle »

Thanks, Lord !!
ashwom1

Post by ashwom1 »

Is it possible to do a mix of Sour Milk Sea without Lomax's vocals so we can just hear George, Paul, Ringo, Hopkins and Clapton, with George's guide vocal?

Is it possible to isolate and then raise the volume of George's guide vocal (similar to what was done with that version of Run For Your Life, or was that only possible because it was a Rockband track) ?

Over to you magical magicians!
BeatleGuy1949

Post by BeatleGuy1949 »

Another great addition
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

Thanks for the latest additions LR
ToddS

Post by ToddS »

As again , Thank You for always sharing with us .
Beatles4Ever

Re: EVOLVER (Help, Strawberry Fields + re-up)

Post by Beatles4Ever »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:38 am Another good 'un for you today, and track number 14 which makes it a bona fide Beatles album. :)

Here is RM9 of Strawberry Fields Forever in stereo. A bit of background: take 26 was the one with the crazy drums and strings and horns, onto which John overdubbed a full double-tracked vocal on 15th December and they did a mono reference mix for him to take home. He then decided after listening to this that he wanted the first part of take 7 to open the song. He also didn't seem to care for his vocal and so rerecorded it on the 21st December but - because he knew that all of it wouldn't be used - he didn't bother singing the first part! Instead he just did a few da-da-dahs while he got ready to sing the chorus. This is the version on the Super Deluxe. But the full vocal version has never appeared in stereo because the singing was wiped by the second attempt. You follow?

So here I have extracted the unique vocal from RM9 (no easy task I can tell you) and then created a matching backing track in stereo with the same balance and ending as RM9, then married the two together. Thus you can now enjoy a full version of take 26 in stereo for the first time. Aside from the missing opening, the vocal is noticeably different to the more familiar one.

Enjoy :ugeek:

https://tinyurl.com/expires-may-31
I just gave this track a proper listen and I have to say it sounds waaaaaaaay to fast. John sounds like he sucked on a bottle of helium before he started singing. I know they played around with tape speeds and such to marry the two takes but this sounds very un-natural. The whole thing needs to be slowed down at least a half step or possibly a full octave.
Great extraction work as usual but....I don't think the speed is correct.
innergroove

Post by innergroove »

These are all bloody fantastic !

Tex

Post by Tex »

Rhythm track has been time-compressed?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Engonoceras wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:12 am Rhythm track has been time-compressed?
Yes, to match the demo. Although the 2010 Apple remaster is time stretched compared to the original release. No idea why they did that. This is actually much closer to the original.
Beatles4Ever wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:06 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:38 am Here is RM9 of Strawberry Fields Forever in stereo.
I just gave this track a proper listen and I have to say it sounds waaaaaaaay to fast. John sounds like he sucked on a bottle of helium before he started singing. I know they played around with tape speeds and such to marry the two takes but this sounds very un-natural. The whole thing needs to be slowed down at least a half step or possibly a full octave.
Great extraction work as usual but....I don't think the speed is correct.
RM9 is much slower yes. I set the speed to have the backing at the right speed, but I can do another one with it at the speed of the mono mix.

In the Abbey Road Show in 1983 though, that was the speed it was played ath. That's why I did it that way.
ashwom1 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:55 pm Is it possible to do a mix of Sour Milk Sea without Lomax's vocals so we can just hear George, Paul, Ringo, Hopkins and Clapton, with George's guide vocal?

Is it possible to isolate and then raise the volume of George's guide vocal (similar to what was done with that version of Run For Your Life, or was that only possible because it was a Rockband track) ?
You can't isolate George's vocal no. It is very distant. RFYL used a rough mix from the lost lennon tapes with a loud guide vocal.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene