EVOLVER

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Lord Reith

Two more new ones

Post by Lord Reith »

Two more keepers for you today!

First up is a proper stereo mix of the mono Day In The Life "acetate" (which was later on the Pepper revamp from tape). As you may or may not know, the lads recorded some tentative overdubs onto two vacant tracks of the 4-track tape and made a mono mix of the result, but then redid the overdubs a few days later leaving the mono mix as the only record of their work. But don't fret! With the aid of my busty sidekick Svelka and a new set of Marconi valves I have teased out all the overdubs and added them to the original two tracks that weren't wiped. So we've got:

- John's guitar, Paul's piano and maracas (George? I hope so, otherwise he's not on this song!) on the left. Also the whistle of a kettle at the end. I find this much more interesting than the alarm clock! This all ended up on the album except the kettle which was faded out.

- John's voice in the centre. This is also the same as on the album.

- Paul's aborted vocal in the centre, ending in a naughty word. This was taped over.

- Some extra piano and Mal counting on the right. This is on the album too.

- Paul's experimental bass part in the centre. This was wiped but is really interesting because he plays double-stop at one point (that's two strings at once) and goes a bit nutty at the end. Great stuff.

- Ringo's experimental drum part, which was wiped. This is totally different to the final drums on the album, and has its own special place on the right.

Following this we have Revolution take 20, in proper stereo for the first time! I've had three previous attempts at this but they weren't nearly as successful as this one. The basis of the audio is take 18 (which is in stereo) but I've centred John's lead vocal which was on the far right. To this (on the right channel) I've added all the overdubs which are present in the mono take 20 but not in take 18. This comprises some vocal harmonies, a guitar loop, somebody singing "mama, dada", an organ, more drumming, an electric guitar and some ADT on certain parts of John's vocal (the ADT is on the mono mix too). I've also created another mix with the horns and electric guitar from the album added too, but you'll have to wait for Abracadabra for that.

Enjoy!

(see start of thread for link)
Last edited by Lord Reith on Mon May 17, 2021 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
SBFC

Re: Four new ones

Post by SBFC »

Your work is awesome! Small problem, there is no Revolution Take 20 in your link ...
Tex

Post by Tex »

The separation on "A Day in the Life" is amazing. Whatever your work flow is it's producing great results.
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

These sound incredible. Looking forward to future works.
walrus gumboot

Post by walrus gumboot »

SBFC wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:34 am Your work is awesome! Small problem, there is no Revolution Take 20 in your link ...
I only get three as well...
Ken_peps

Post by Ken_peps »

Thanks as always - "Day In The Life" sounds amazing....can't wait to hear "ReVolution" as I believe you accidentally reposted "Across The Universe" instead, but I don't want to sound churlish as I certainly appreciate all of these...!
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

I agree with everyone else-- the "A Day in the Life" is amazing. Thank you.
RunoutGroove

Post by RunoutGroove »

Awesome DITL Lord Reith. I'm missing Revolution as well though...?
EdinSc

Post by EdinSc »

Superb as always! While waiting for Revolution, is it possible to continue the backwards guitar in the mix as the vocal is fading out? Thanks again!
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Lord Reith -- your remixes are A-MA-ZING!! Truly superb :D
—Keith