The Beatles - Complete Studio collection

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Track06

Re: The Beatles - Complete Studio collection

Post by Track06 »

CultTVman wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:09 pm Did anyone ever gather all the notes for this project in one place? I have some, but am missing details on the Sgt. Pepper discs. I've searched everywhere for the info. Some of the BZ pages are archived on the Way Back Machine. Bing has some cached, but not all. There was some remarkable information, such as recording details on Lady Madonna that I had never seen elsewhere. Kudos to Colturkey, CSNYfan, and all involved. The one set that really seemed to compliment the Complete Studio Collection was Lord Reith's Monolonger. Hope to see those continued.

C
Twelve had a text file included I think.
(coltturkey's/CSNYfan's) notes on volume 11:

Code: Select all

We have Volume 11 finished - at last.

Only artwork will be made and you all get the new one.

This will be on this 2 Disc Set:

CD1

01 When I'm Sixty-Four [Take 1 Partial]
Source: Rockband
Material that does not fit into the intro of Take 2. Spectrally decompressed.

02 When I'm Sixty-Four [Take 2]
Source: Rockband + Super Deluxe
This is the backing track as recorded live onto two tracks of take 2, presented in mono. This is more complete than any other version. It appears that only the "three" of the countin is missing still - thanks Giles! The mix of take 2 as presented on the Super Deluxe set (see below) has the drum & guitar track mixed 8dB higher than the reduction into take 4, which was taken as reference here.

03 When I'm Sixty-Four [Take 2 with Overdubs]
Source: Super Deluxe
Take 2 with all overdubs, in wide stereo. Featuring some vocals at the end that were mixed out of all other versions.

04 Strawberry Fields Forever [Take 15 Partial]
Source: Anthology + Super Deluxe
This is the first (or last?) of the intricate backwards drum & percussion arrangements in isolation, as recorded onto take 15.

05 Strawberry Fields Forever [Take Unknown]
Source: Sgt. Pepper's Musical Revolution
One of the remake takes, from the coda section. May well be another piece of take 24.

06 Strawberry Fields Forever [Take 24 Partial]
Source: Anthology
The coda of this take would form the end of track 1 of take 25.

07 Strawberry Fields Forever [Take 25 minus Track 2]
Source: MasterJedi - Great Scott
Electric guitar and various loops are mixed out here. Orchestral tracks panned left and right, drums left.

08 Strawberry Fields Forever [Take 25 Complete]
Slightly inferior fidelity, but more complete and includes all tracks throughout.
Both orchestral tracks are centered, drums left, track 2 right. Note how the centered "mono" mix of the double tracked orchestral tracks has a very hollow, tinny sound due to phase cancellations, compared to the stereo version above.

09 Strawberry Fields Forever [Take 26 RM9]
Source: MasterJedi - Bare it all
With complete vocals that were later to be re-recorded incompletely, as the edit with take 7 was already planned.
Deliberately left running slow, speed up +7.375% to be in line with the others.

10 When I'm Sixty-Four [Take 3 Announcement]
Source: HMC - Take it off
Take announcement of a reduction mix that went unused - instead, take 4 became the master.

11 When I'm Sixty-Four [Take 4 Overdubs only]
Two tracks were overdubbed onto the reduction take 4: a clarinette arrangement on the first and chimes and backing vocals on the other.

12 Strawberry Fields Forever [Take 26 Complete]
With take announcement, full intro and the final, but incomplete re-recorded vocals with a flubbed beginning.

13 Strawberry Fields Forever [Take 26 Less Vocals]
This omits the line "it doesn't matter much to me" before the first "let me take you down", but is otherwise very similar to the above version.

14 Penny Lane [Take 6]
Wide stereo edit, also correcting the panning error at the end.

15 Penny Lane [Take 6 Edited Isolation Mix]
Source: Sgt. Pepper's Musical Revolution + Super Deluxe
An extended edit of the already edited isolation mix heard in the documentary. The second track featured here appears to be mixed out of the Super Deluxe release, whereas this version has no bass harmonicas.

16 Penny Lane [Take 8 Handclaps & Chat Overdubs]
This is most likely an overdub onto Take 8, which itself was two reductions away from take 6. Apparently, a fresh reduction of Take 7 became Take 9 and Take 8 was duly abandoned, allowing us to hear such a raw "performance".

17 Penny Lane [Take 9 Love Backing Track]
Source: MC Birds sing out of tune
From an audience recording of a Love show.

18 Penny Lane [Partial Mix]
Source: Sgt. Pepper's Musical Revolution
Also from Musical Revolution. Piano, rhythm & vocals only.

19 Penny Lane [Overdub Session Tape]
Source: Helter Skelter - Sgt. Pepper Back To Basics
An offline recording made by Lennon, with him at the varispeed control knob for one of the input tracks.

20 A Day in the Life [Take 1]
Source: Super Deluxe + PC
A new composite in wide stereo, essentially a twin track recording, supplementing the 2017 inline source with 4 seconds from Anthology monitor mixes.
You can clearly hear how the tape echo on John's vocal track is brought up during the live mix.

21 A Day in the Life [Take 2]
In wide stereo, without the crossfade into the "Omm" edit piece.

22 A Day In The Life [Studio Rehearsal]
Source: Mini Docs
Congas prominent. Sometimes said to be from the intro to Take 2.

23 A Day In The Life [Take 4 Partial]
Source: Anthology Video Outtakes
A monitor mix with George Martin voice-over featuring John's original live vocal. Three different vocal tracks from take 4 were cherry-picked to produce the vocal track for take 6.

CD2

01 A Day In The Life [RM1 from Take 6]
Slightly dehummed. Superior sound quality to the old boot source.

02 A Day In The Life [Take 6 Complete]
Source: Rockband + Anthology Video Outtakes
New stereo mix of Take 6, including the original take announcement and pre-song noodling.

03 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [Take 1]
04 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [Unknown Take #1]
05 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [Unknown Take #2]
06 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [Unknown Take #3 - Count In]
07 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [Take 9]
Source: MFP001
From the session for the backing track. John's bass was recorded simultaneous onto its own track, but not even a tiny snippet of that performance has ever leaked out. It should still be present on takes 1-8, while take 9 had the guide bass replaced by Paul's proper bass overdub.

08 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [Take 9 Lead Vocal Overdub]
Source: Super Deluxe + MFP001
This is the complete 4-track tape of take 9, without track 3 (harmony vocals). Track 4, the lead vocal, is up throughout. In wide stereo.

09 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [Take 9 Track 3 Partial]
Chat found on track 3 of take 9. The super deluxe had it appended to the rest of take 9, while it should have been playing alongside the Free Now vocals.

10 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [Take 10 Announcement and Reduction Mix]
Take 9 was bounced into two tracks of take 10, panned hard left and right here.

11 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [RM1]
Source: Masterjedi Last Laquers
Acetate of the backing and both vocal tracks. Used to be interesting for the extended ending, which has since been released in pristine quality.

12 Good Morning Good Morning [Take 1]
In wide stereo.

13 Good Morning Good Morning [Take Unknown]
Spectrally decompressed; looped material from the intro to Take 1 is edited out.

14 Good Morning Good Morning [Take 8]
As recorded live onto two tracks. For the first time without edits (looped guitar track) that were used to hide shortcomings in earlier isolations.

15 A Day In The Life [Orchestra Session]
Source: Rockband + Super Deluxe + Record Producers + PC Multitrack to quad tape copy
All available tracks of the orchestral session put together in the best possible quality. For the music, usually all 5 tracks are playing together.

16 A Day In The Life [Session dialogue]
Tacked onto the end of the Anthology composite mix.

17 A Day in the Life [Hummed last chord Takes 8-11]
In wide stereo.

18 ''I Like It When You're Brutal'' [Undated Studio Talk]
Undated studio chat.

19 Penny Lane [RM8]
20 Penny Lane [RM9]
21 Penny Lane [RM10]
Source: MasterJedi
Alternate early mixes with notably different overdubs, from an excellent quality tape source.

22 Penny Lane [RM11]
Source: US Promo, rip courtesy of bootlegzone member ghosthost
An unedited transfer of the promo mix. The most commonly circulating version was compiled from several pressings of the promo. This new cleanup reduces the cyclic wow that is apparently present on all copies. It is also running at the exact speed it was mastered for playback with 45RPM.

23 Penny Lane [Edit of Takes 6,7+9]
24 A Day In The Life [Anthology Mix]
Frankensteined mixes combining material from different takes.
Been thinking of something else?
robbmacc

Post by robbmacc »

First, thanks to PanKotskiy. I, like Lord R, started to download but then decided to wait for a finished collection, so I hope this can remain up for a bit, as I'm gone until Monday, and then even back at home, I'm live out in the middle of nowhere, and downloading will be slow.

Perhaps together, using Doug's and Winn's books, we can update / finish it...
CultTVman

Post by CultTVman »

Track06 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:27 pm
(coltturkey's/CSNYfan's) notes on volume 11:

Been thinking of something else?
Just what I needed! Thank you!
simond9X

Post by simond9X »

PanKotskiy - well I've finished downloading so thank you so much for uploading them and making them available, really appreciated. I think one or two others are still downloading, robbmacc for sure, so if you could leave it up a while longer please?

Beatlebug

Post by Beatlebug »

Yes I'd be grateful if it can be left up for another couple of days thanks :D
PanKotskiy

Post by PanKotskiy »

robbmacc, simond9X, and Beatlebug, glad to be of help!
I will not deactivate the link for a week. I agree with Lord Reith's view on short-term links that expire and thus keep things local and lively, so if anyone needs the files after that, please warn me and I will generate a new link if it is possible.
billybudapest

Post by billybudapest »

Thank you for this set
Beatlebug

Post by Beatlebug »

Thank you PanKotskiy :D
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

PanKotskiy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:35 pm robbmacc, simond9X, and Beatlebug, glad to be of help!
I will not deactivate the link for a week. I agree with Lord Reith's view on short-term links that expire and thus keep things local and lively, so if anyone needs the files after that, please warn me and I will generate a new link if it is possible.
PanKotskiy, thank you for making these available... like others, my intent was to download the whole set at BZ after all the updates etc were done but somewhere along the way, I never got to that. I'm slowly but surely making my way through this collection. However, I might need until the end of the next weekend to grab them all. Is it possible to keep them up through Sunday?
Beatles4Ever

Post by Beatles4Ever »

PanKotskiy,

First...thank you for making the set available again. I grabbed some of these while the project was active and I, like so many others, stopped grabbing the files because I was waiting or hoping that it would become a bit more organized and then it just stopped. I hesitated at grabbing the files but now that they are here I figured...what the hell....grab them now before they disappear again. So I am in the middle of grabbing these files and just started this evening. While I do have a fast connection, mega tends to stop people from downloading once they hit the daily limit so it may take 2 days to grab these in full. Hopefully they will still be alive by the time I get to downloading them all.

Either way it goes...thanks for making this set available again. It was a massive upload to say the least.
Much appreciated.