1966-04-06 and beyond, Revolver Sessions upgrades 7-22 June

Fan created remixes and rare variations
magoocus

Re: 1966-04-06 and beyond, Revolver Sessions upgrades

Post by magoocus »

Apr 13th sessions:

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1OuknGhUmEcgw2FiYgGDqT0IHrnkkiyV0/view?usp=sharing

Apr 13th 1966 – Studio Three, 2:30-6:30pm

01. Love You To – SI onto take 7 – The last set of overdubs is hard to decipher, since none of the
descriptions match what we hear when comparing the available stereo mixes. The fuzz guitar seems to
be on the same track with the tambourine because they are in the same pan position on both the original
stereo mix and the Songtrack remix. The vocals are panned separately from the tambourine on the original
stereo mix and thus they can't be on the same track. This version is from the original set with vocals
reduced using mvsep demucs3 model B stems (some vocals were left mixed in to hide distortion).

02. Love You To – mono mix [edit of RM1-3] – Even more questions: where are the edit points? One of
them could be in the intro at 0:34 (stutter heard on the mono mix). (Barrett's notes indicate the intro
wasn't done until the 25th, so it's been edited off here.) Another edit (heard on the stereo mix)
is at 2:22, where it sounds like the sitar fill before the final verse was replaced with one from the
previous verse, since a stuttering "...me" from verse 2 can be heard tagged on to the end of verse 3.
The recording sheet is also puzzling (see p73 of RS). If RM3 was marked ‘best’ then why edit in RM1
and RM2? Was TRK3 ‘not used’ only on RM3? Why was one mix done without ADT? Which sections of which
mixes were used? Most of this is likely impossible to answer. Also on the Barrett notes for reel E60039
there is an entry for RM4 and RM5, the former for the US, the latter for the UK. Is this the date where
the intro was added (May 16)? Are these the mono mixes we hear on record, taken (or not) from the edit
of RM1-3? The stereo mix on June 21 is also an edit (of RS1-3), so RM4-5 might have gone unused.

Apr 13th 1966 – Studio Three, 8:00pm-2:30am

03. Paperback Writer – take 1 [breakdown] – rhythm (all on track 1): Paul (lead guitar), John
(rhythm guitar), George (tambourine), Ringo (drums). Chat before and after has had the volume increased
to make it more discernable what is being said. (George: "It keeps picking up speed," Ringo: "I didn't
see anything wrong there.")

04. Paperback Writer – take 2 – rhythm track, complete, from the bootlegged mix on Back Track, with some
leakage of vocals mostly removed with mvsep demucs3 B. The bit at the end must be a remnant of a rehearsal,
since only two proper takes were recorded. It's half a step higher so they have done some tape speed
changes or tuned down the guitars, perhaps to help with the falsetto vocals? (Paul's voice is cracking
at the end of the second vocal overdub).

05. Paperback Writer – SI onto take 2 – First lead vocal overdub, from the left channel of the ’95
video mix. Note “I want to be…”

06. Paperback Writer – SI onto take 2 – Second lead vocal overdub, from the right channel of the ’95
video mix. "I wanna be..." and “…a man named Leah…” Note John's "answering" vocal is a harmony of his
vocal on the other track.
ToddS

Re: 1966-04-06 and beyond, Revolver Sessions upgrades 13 Apr

Post by ToddS »

Thank You for sharing and thank you for all your work and time on this project .
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

After the immediate euphoria it causes, I think what I like most about Beatles music is the way 50 years of addiction can still not prepare you for what the sounds actually are. When disassembled...the most textured sounds reveal themselves to be something less than something more. The most complex music is really made with the most basic components. If you can imagine taking apart a Swiss watch only to find a sundial inside...then you know how cool it is to hear the sacred processes of transmutation being conducted for an eagerly awaiting world. REVOLVER should have been titled 'Now, What???'
THIS album is why you stop touring.
This album transcends 'encore' hyperbole with completeness.
The series is sublime and I hope it leaves me addicted to nothing!
Lysergic Labyrinth til the end
of the
beginning!
Thank you, Magoocus!
KC
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

Many thanks for the latest instalment....
magoocus

Post by magoocus »

On the 14th of Apr it's work on Paperback Writer & Rain:

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1kw7e2_lxAEeoVq31PYTPX-wXZB0UUInz/view?usp=sharing

Apr 14th 1966 – Studio Three, 2:30-7:30pm

01. Paperback Writer – SI onto take 2 – bass, backing vocals from John and George, guitar from
George, all on one track. A composite from the boot and dvd 5.1 mix isolated track. The hand-
written notes for the various experiments on this track are printed on p74 of RS and discussed
in RTB. Unsurpassed Masters -Unique Tracks is a bit longer at the end.

Apr 14th 1966 – Studio Three, 7:30-8:00pm

02. Paperback Writer – mono mix RM2 from the 3-inch cd single.

Apr 14th 1966 – Studio Three, 8:30pm-1:30am

03. Rain – Take 5 – basic rhythm track, sped up by a semi-tone, still slower than they supposedly
originally played it (two semi-tones brings it right up to A major), but speeding it up any faster
sounds unrealistic. They probably just played it in the key of G (maybe at some point they heard it
with the tape speeded up - it's always sounded to me like the A major chord shape though, John
hitting the low E at times especially in the outro). Left channel isolation from the Anthology dvd
stereo mix. Some leakage of vocals but greatly reduced running the original track through mvsep with
the demucs3 model B setting.

04. Rain – Lead vocal overdub from the DVD 5.1 isolated tracks, slowed by half a semi-tone (as it
was originally recorded), with the backwards vocal at the end edited off. Some leakage of backing
vocals which were recorded the following session.

Later that evening (or early morning of the 15th)...

05. Rain backwards - John takes a tape home and plays it backwards by accident ("tails out" on the
tape). The previous 2 tracks were edited back together after speed correcting, then volume balanced
a bit and mixed to mono and reversed, to represent what John might possibly have heard on that fateful
night (as I was turning 13 years old) (and if that story is in fact what actually happened, rather
than GM saying that he simply reversed the tape in the studio on the 16th). Right at the end (the
beginning of the song) we can hear the snippet that GM used.
BeatlesVI

Re: 1966-04-06 and beyond, Revolver Sessions upgrades 14 Apr

Post by BeatlesVI »

Well, color me floored! I had not noticed this thread, and Revolver is my favorite album by the Fabs. I am a "first gen" fan, and my memory of this is the butchered American version, but I didn't know any better at the time. My Mother bought it for me, and I invited the neighborhood kids to listen with me. They didn't even stay for side two! The only comment was," "Taxman" was okay but the rest is too weird. I like "A Hard Days Night" better."

I was confused by their reaction, as I loved it.

It was the first time I realized I was a true fan.

Anyway, thanks for this great series!!!
...the member formerly known as "sirguitarist"
glami

Post by glami »

Thanx 4 set!
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

Thanks as always for the next instalment in this AWESOME thread.....
beatlescollectors

Post by beatlescollectors »

Thank you !!!
:o :) :o :)
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

These are really fascinating to listen to. Thank you!