Glyn Johns Get Back Sessions Multitrack Reels (Reconstructed) 5.80

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

---------------------------------------------
5.80 UPDATE -
I made more sound improvements and improved reported beeps and other flaws to improve the listening experience and make this project more like Glyn John's Reels, not NAGRA.

E90490 - after listening to all the NAGRA before Get Back Take 3, I think I was able to determine which tracks were Takes 1 and 2 as reported on the box.
E90521 - With the Get Back series showing a quick glance at reel E90521, since you can make out Let It Be Takes 1,2,3 were recorded at the end, I added those items which makes sense why the next reel E90494 starts with LEt IT Be Take 4.

Artwork - With the Get Back series showing a quick glance at reel E90521, I decided I had enough info to revise my concept art for that box, and the reel before.

DOCS - new format for better reading.

It's not a large download, so I rarely post updates only. Just download the whole thing and overwrite what you had.

This is an on-going project. Changes come here and there...
---------------------------------------------

BACKGROUND INFO
During the Get Back Sessions from Jan 21st to 31st, the band returned to Apple Studios with the intention of redeeming themselves from the debacle at Twickenham Studios and then enlisted the help of Billy Preston. While audio/video was still being recorded on mono NAGRA camera film rolls for the film release, it is known that Apple Studios engineer Glyn Johns also setup the capability to record CERTAIN moments and performances of more developed tracks on 8-Track multitrack reels for the purpose of having them to choose and make mixes for the Get Back album LP release.

Some of these recordings were eventually released on bootlegs of various Get Back album compilations and other sources, and we know Phil Spector used them with his own overdubs for the LIB album release. Later over the years, cataloged documentation and released pictures of these multitrack reels showed so much more was also recorded and existed with more detail. Then with the 50th Anniversary Boxed Set book release, more information and pictures of additional reels were displayed for the first time - updating previously written cataloging documentation as well.

THE PROJECT
When the most complete NAGRA recordings were unofficially released on Purple Chick and later in Spectral Stereo format in 2019, I decided it was time to try and reconstruct Glyn John's multitrack reel recordings. Reconstructing these reels provided the closest compilation of the best performances of those tracks considered for the final LP release. Long gone were the early days of structured studio called takes and edit pieces. After the chaos at Twickenham, Glyn Johns' ability to use the group's return to Apple for the purpose of multitrack recording the most developed run-throughs of the songs chosen for the album provided the ability to complete that task.

THE DOCUMENTS
Each reconstructed reel is named after the catalog number known to be written on each reel. ALSO included, is a document with NOT ONLY a pic and previously published material of what was CONCLUDED to be on these reels, but my UPDATED INTERPRETATIONS AND ARTWORK of this material I discovered as I created each reconstruction. Yes, newly released documentation has influenced and changed these reconstructions, so those changes have been noted in this documentation.

THE ARTWORK
Big update for 5.75 - I decided to create CONCEPT ART for those reel boxes that have not been released. This took some time, as I tried to use the same handwriting styles, and queue marks shown on released boxes to try and reproduce WHAT I BELIEVE TO BE the closest notes that might have been written on those reel boxes at that time, which we have never seen. I also took some artistic license and added a few other things I think will be enjoyable. Maybe one day we'll find out!

THE FUTURE
This is an ongoing personal project I have enjoyed creating, and decided to share with those that are interested and understand it. Future updates may or may not happen depending on time available and of course how much influence is generated from the significance of new material.

THE TECHNICALS
The MAJORITY of source material used is from the NAGRA mono camera footage that was converted to Spectral Stereo sound to increase listening enjoyment. Each individual reel is also presented as a single complete non-stop recording as if someone manually loaded the reel and started listening to it. Use the documentation provided to create personal notes to queue specific timestamps to review highlights. Note from pics of the reel boxes, Glyn Johns did the same thing.

SYNC BEEPS AND ROLL CALLS
NAGRA footage had these pesky sync beeps, camera roll calls, and occasional defects heard during playback. Obviously if the ACTUAL footage from these reels was available, these recordings would sound very superior and not have such defects the camera NAGRA footage contains. Therefore, to make these reconstructions sound as authentic as possible and enhance the listening experience, MULTIPLE TECHNIQUES were used to remove these anomalies. VERY IMPORTANT: Much time was spent listening and documenting hundreds of timestamps containing these anomalies and removing them as cleanly as possible, so it might be possible some were MISSED!

------------------------------------
PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW DURING YOUR LISTENING EXPERIENCE IF YOU DISCOVER A BEEP OR ROLL CALL THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN MISSED! I WILL IMMEDIATELY TACKLE IT AND RELEASE A FUTURE UPDATE!
Got so exhausted reviewing each reel reconstruction and repairs, doing a final review would just take more time and delay this project release!
------------------------------------

AUDIO FILE FORMAT USED
To address those who want FLAC versions of these - I did testing between FLAC versions and use of CBR 320 MP3 format for these and found no sound quality difference between the two. Since the original source of this material is multi-generational copied NAGRA mono tapes that were tweaked into spectral stereo - a FLAC file is no better as the source is no better as well! My software used for mixing these reels is more compatible with MP3 format - so I chose the best quality type with no compression. Not going to debate this any further - enjoy this project or make your own in FLAC and remove the beeps, etc...not a problem.

THE DOWNLOAD LINK
The link provided is on a paid account and does not contain expirations, encryptions, or other restrictions (how YOU copy and paste the link to another browser page determines the issue). Therefore, access and downloading issues have nothing to do with my configs and provided link. I do not have time to provide more download links and troubleshoot individual issues. Those that can access my project are welcome to mirror the download from other sources.

FINAL NOTES!
This has been a long and enjoyable project for myself and I hope anyone also interested in this concept enjoys it, too. In the past, when collecting studio footage (and the takes) from past Beatles recording sessions, I found it frustrating when around the time of the White Album sessions, the structured studio recording style used by George Martin came to a sad end. Understanding this was part of the evolution and technology utilized while recording in the studio, the Get Back sessions were particularly complicated when the available footage contained hundreds of hours of recording material during the month of January 1969. In conclusion, learning that Glyn Johns ALSO recorded 8-track reels of footage that roughly included 'TAKES' and other limited, yet significant material, now allows a collector to include this material in their 'recording session' collection.

HAVE FUN!

steve

THE DOWNLOAD LINK (check back as I might change it when releasing a MINOR UPDATE.

hxxps://mega.nz/file/M4dCESKQ#7edUezghw ... WakbaStgws 5.80

PASS THIS AROUND:
HOW TO GET RID OF THE DECRYPTION KEY MESSAGE:

look carefully at what the FORUM POSTS for the URL links: they are XX'd AND THEY ARE ABBREVIATED ( ... ) in the URL.
right click, select COPY LINK (do not use your mouse to highlight and copy the link as that copies the ' ... ' abbreviated part.
paste the FULL URL (note the '...' goes away and you PASTED THE FULL LINK - compare it.)
replace the XX with TT in the beginning of the hyperlink. works every time.
If that doesn't work - I use FF and Edge - consider that or you have other issues not the fault of the poster. sorry.

steve
Last edited by millerTEK on Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
alphabeatles

Re: Glyn Johns Get Back Sessions Multitrack Reels (Reconstructed) 5.75

Post by alphabeatles »

Thanks Steve! No URL or download drama at all ;-)
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

Excellent work, thank you.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Hello, Steve!
Your ambitions are admirable. Thank you for sharing this project.
I am a Beatle fan through and through...and I have always been unexcited by the Get Back period of the group's chronology. This project is the coolest part of Get Back because it is an umbrella that covers the most important parts: Rooftop, January 31...and, it is what made Phil Spector's job so easy! Poor Glyn! He really should have been given producer credit! Thanks, Steve! Your work IS appreciated!
KC
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

Thank you! I wish they would release these tapes, but it would probably be too cost prohibitive.

steve
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

Fantastic work!

Any chance of getting the artwork in JPEG (or BMP or TIFF or PNG) instead of PDF?
Yves
davetuba

Post by davetuba »

Thank you!
davetuba

Post by davetuba »

I think I was able to convert the PDF artwork to JPG. Let's give it a look:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

AWESOME - Thank you for the latest reconstruction.
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

davetuba wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:33 pm I think I was able to convert the PDF artwork to JPG. Let's give it a look:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Thanks for this!
Yves