The Beatles - Yellow Submarine (Open Matte LaserDisc)

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Venny

The Beatles - Yellow Submarine (Open Matte LaserDisc)

Post by Venny »

I've uploaded the raw LaserDisc and an older encode to the forum before but I recently made an updated encode with better filtering and better encoding.

(If someone wants to use this for a DVD I'm ok with that just make sure to give me credit in any kind of DVD cover/art)

LaserDisc was purchased by me and transferred by my friend ZeroCool.

Screenshots:
https://slow.pics/c/OzPGAg6V

Q&A:

What is "open matte"?
Open Matte is a term referring to a movie or TV show that has more picture on the top and bottom of the frame than the original theatrical presentations or airings.

Why would I want to watch this version over the Blu-Ray or DVD?
I think the extra picture in the frame makes for a unique viewing experience after watching the movie in the intended aspect ratio and can reveal details from the 35mm print like characters celluloid cutting off at the bottom of the screen or seeing celluloid numbers flashing at the top of the frame during the Lucy and The Sky sequence. It also gives an alternative version to the movie so people can pick and choose which aspect ratio they prefer to watch the movie in.

Any other noticeable differences in this LaserDisc compared to the 1999 re-releases or 2013 Blu-Ray?
Yes, actually! In the US and other territories during the original run of the movie and in-home video releases before 1999 Yellow Submarine had a completely different shorter cut of the film. The iconic Hey Bulldog sequence was removed in favor of Baby You're A Richman playing as The Beatles free Sgt Peppers Hearts Club Band from the bubble. Not to mention many other changes in that last part of the film.

EDIT: Download now back up here: hxxps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1T44mPjFoj7-M94OXm_SQ0hOcPy_7rgXG?usp=drive_link
Last edited by Venny on Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Reith

Re: The Beatles - Yellow Submarine (Open Matte LaserDisc)

Post by Lord Reith »

Excellent, most appreciated.

If they bothered to draw and colour the full 4:3 picture then clearly it was intended to be seen by someone. Otherwise they would have saved a lot of time and just drawn a 16:9 frame.
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

AWESOME - Thank you.
joguema

Post by joguema »

Thank you very much!
D-listener

Post by D-listener »

Thank you for sharing this.The aspect ratio certainly changes the feel of this.
Venny

Post by Venny »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:35 am Excellent, most appreciated.

If they bothered to draw and colour the full 4:3 picture then clearly it was intended to be seen by someone. Otherwise they would have saved a lot of time and just drawn a 16:9 frame.
https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/imag ... 442a12.jpg
Interestingly there is EVEN MORE picture on 35mm theatrical prints because of the way the film was shot. So instead of being a rounder frame like other Beatles films (Hard Day's Night, Help!, and Magical Mystery Tour) the full rectangular frame is used so you can see the tops and bottoms of the cels. One day I would LOVE to have a 16mm or 35mm print scanned. Now is a better time than ever since I have had contact with so many different scanners in the US and Europe.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Was there a standard aspect ratio?
TV? Film? Umatic? VHS? Beta? Laserdisc? Homo Sapiens vision? 35mm? 16mm? 8mm? Kinetoscope? View-Master? Etch-A-Sketch?
How do these things happen?
The Beatles(<-----2 words)...
I guess where standards are already in place(U.S.A.???), The Beatles were enough to inspire Anarchy.
This is only a cartoon and yet, the film was its own monster that couldn't decide on a plot...let alone a generic format.
I bet choosing colors to paint the cells was a multi-directional vector. Someday, we'll discover that multiple renderings exist and that the color pallets were based on culture, National Colors(flags), Echelon, GNP, packaging, illicit drug activity, mantra, mandalas, suburb, rural, fluorescent and...
Oh NO!!!
A black and white version...
Well, I'm only daydreaming!
Lennon's two books would have been the best cartoon!!!
(Balls And Wridges)
Ahem!
Bad handrouter, and a bunch of pencils.
The Beatles most psychedelic record had a B&W jacket!
This is probably more important than the title.
Don't shoot!!! I'm only the cell painter!
Thank you, Venny.
KC
Lupine Assassin

Post by Lupine Assassin »

Thanks for this! :)
We all bleed blue from the inside....
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

It ps me off sometimes watching a full screen movie compared to the vhs 4x3 version, they used to sometimes put both versions out either a double sided disc or 2nd disc. I sometimes think what a waste of unused blu ray space but the counter argument is it the directors intent that's been issued.
Remember The World At War debacle the restorers justified the cropping saying it worked better for modern TV's (bullcrap), years later another blu ray issued it in the correct TV aspect.
thewarpedvinyljunkie

Post by thewarpedvinyljunkie »

All I can say is "Thank Goodness for Woody Allen." If he hadn't refused to release "Manhattan" to video and cable unless they presented it in widescreen, today we might be watching everything in pan-and-scan...except now, with the widescreen TVs, it would be panning and scanning from top to bottom.
The Warped Vinyl Junkie

"He never wore his shoes; we all knew he was dead."