Cold Turkey - The Plastic Ono Beatles

Fan created remixes and rare variations
paul62

Cold Turkey - The Plastic Ono Beatles

Post by paul62 »

Thought I'd make a decent wide stereo remix of "Cold Turkey" and "Don't Worry Kyoko (Mummy's Only Looking For Her Hand In The Snow) from STINYC (which are borderline mono): the STINYC album is supposed to be getting the ultimate edition remix treatment.

A side project to that has been increasing the amount of Beatles on the remix (by stripping out the drums and replacing that with Ringo's drumming from the single, as synched to the original drumming one drumbeat at a time...).

Cold Turkey - The Beatles
Last edited by paul62 on Sun May 22, 2022 1:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Albert Grove

Re: Cold Turkey - The Beatles

Post by Albert Grove »

See below.
Last edited by Albert Grove on Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albert Grove

Post by Albert Grove »

Thanks paul62 - but it's incomplete, it cuts off before the end.

Actually, this is a great idea, since the song was offered by John to The Beatles for the next single, but turned down by the others (except Ringo maybe). So it's very interesting to know how a Beatles version could have sounded.

Perhaps you can redo this remix more into a studio version, by cutting off the intro and letting it start cold and fade out at the end. Would it be possible to isolate George's guitar part (is he audible enough here - this was a massive band), and Ringo's drum part from the single. For John's vocal you could choose any you prefer and isolate that, then remix the elements back into the track. I know, speed problems may arise, but you have done this before successfuly with a 1969 Beatles performance of All Things Must Pass way before the Let It Be SDE came out.

Thanks again.
Much2Much

Post by Much2Much »

This sounds like a brilliant project in the making.
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Thanks for the feedback, Albert Grove and Much2Much!!

Yes, this one cuts off (because I haven't finished this one yet): matching drumbeats to the level of accuracy I want is a time-consuming job done manually, by excising or adding precise amounts of silence between each beat.

George is at his most audible when he says "Let's see what this mike is doing" (well, I think it's him!!), soon after John calls out to Geoff Emerick and says "Hello, Hello" to test out the mikes.
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
Gredel21

Post by Gredel21 »

Question Paul62 Was the piano used from the SINYC ( Sometimes in NYC track ???
And could the demo' from the POB Super deluxe be usefull ????

Greg
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Maybe changing some pitch and tempo of the Beatles Watching Rainbows instrumental jams from the Get Back sessions can be edited and tweaked around for it. Some heavy moments there.
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Gredel21 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:06 am Question Paul62 Was the piano used from the SINYC ( Sometimes in NYC track ???
And could the demo' from the POB Super deluxe be usefull ????

Greg
The one I've shared (and which I'm still finishing up) is the STINYC version (which was given overdubs of Nicky Hopkins to augment Billy Preston's playing, a new vocal from John (and, I suspect, Klaus Voorman playing bass)). I've made a much better stereo mix of that and "Don't Worry Kyoko (MOLFHHITS)". I'm "overdubbing" Ringo's drumming from the "Cold Turkey" single. I'll make a mix with Ringo as sole drummer (and a couple of mixes with Alan White, Keith Moon and Ringo Starr). Sounding great, so far, as the download demonstrates...!!!

I've got an .aiff file of an audience recording of "Cold Turkey" (with a bit of "Don't Worry Kyoko (MOLFHHITS)"), as played at the Lyceum gig: this is something that someone shared at "the 'zone" and it's in very bad sound quality. The SQ makes the Star Club tapes sound great, by comparison. I've cleaned it up a bit, trying to extract some juice from a mouldy old lemon. Found no bass guitar, only hum, alas....
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Here's a cool cover version, recorded in 1970 with an all star line up -

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
Kingof2007

Post by Kingof2007 »

Can this be reposted? Please and thanks?