The 910's GET BACK (pt 1) issue

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
20YearsAgo

The 910's GET BACK (pt 1) issue

Post by 20YearsAgo »

Doug Sulpy's probably the foremost authority in the world when it comes to the Jan '69 GET BACK sessions. In the new issue of The 910 contains an incredibly thorough analysis of the first episode of Peter Jackson's GET BACK special. Some of Doug's findings (NO SPOILERS!) are causing me to re-think just about everything Jackson's done here. Doug's gone through and explained all of Jackson's edits and gives an excellent rationale for why Jackson might've chosen to make these edits.

The weird thing is, as much as Doug at times calls into question the authenticity of Jackson's documentary, having all the edits explained like he has also is giving me a greater appreciation of Jackson's art.

Anyways, for those that might be interested, here's a link to the ordering info: hxxps://dougsulpy.com/
Kwai Chang

Re: The 910's GET BACK (pt 1) issue

Post by Kwai Chang »

Beautiful job, Doug Sulpy. I don't have the article but I've owned DDSI V.1 pre-order since this began. But, it's been 50 years and this story needs to become fiction-free. Since Jackson is credited as a Director and a Producer, it is impossible for him to be bias-free(honor dies where interest lies!). Editing makes the movie so different edits will tell a different stories. Right now, I can't tell if Jackson is a S.A.G. pieceworker or a shareholder at Disney! So, Jackson might have reasons to involve Doug...he might have had reasons NOT to involve him.
If it's Hollywood, it's just a dance!
Thank you.
KC
sam004

Post by sam004 »

I would be curious to here what Doug has to say about the film.
I am interested in this issue, but was concerned that it would be information already discussed throughout the internet.
Without giving away too much, can someone describe the contents of this issue a little more ?

It's kind of hard to preview things these days, without giving it away.

I found it interesting in one of his interviews, I think he held up a copy of one of his earlier books.
I wonder how much it was consulted in the last 4 years or so.
By any chance did Jackson or his staff contact Doug (or Ray) at all during the process ?
Maybe Doug needs to go on TWST or SATB, I know he's been on a few in the past.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Sulpy's name would only elevate the integrity of the product at hand. Besides, this should have been the biggest marketing opportunity in the history of The Beatles. If the movie was actually informative, then it could be the pretext for a huge merchandising campaign. I think a Doug Sulpy Cut of the film would have been a real ray of hope. It would be exactly the same length as the original Let It Be. Instead, we get an 8 hour tribute to failure. Without Billy Preston, they wouldn't have even made it to the roof. I expect most people see the rooftop footage and get a lump in their throat. Why? The Beatles weren't going to release that ever. Allen Klein might deserve Production credit.
(The beginning)
KC
Bnomusic1

Post by Bnomusic1 »

sam004 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:52 am I would be curious to here what Doug has to say about the film.
I am interested in this issue, but was concerned that it would be information already discussed throughout the internet.
Without giving away too much, can someone describe the contents of this issue a little more ?
It's 25 pages and jam-packed with information. It must have taken many hours of work to compare the Jackson film with the audio tapes and figure out how the film was put together. I think it is well worth purchasing. You won't find this information just floating around on the internet.
sam004

Post by sam004 »

I wasn't looking for it for free, I was just curious.
I broke down and bought it :) Doug always presents quality work.

I found it quite interesting. He breaks it down quite well, so far.
Looking forward to the next edition already.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Thanks, Sam004 - and the rest of you for your positive comments about the new issue. :)
beatlbay

Post by beatlbay »

Kwai Chang wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:58 am Sulpy's name would only elevate the integrity of the product at hand. Besides, this should have been the biggest marketing opportunity in the history of The Beatles. If the movie was actually informative, then it could be the pretext for a huge merchandising campaign. I think a Doug Sulpy Cut of the film would have been a real ray of hope. It would be exactly the same length as the original Let It Be. Instead, we get an 8 hour tribute to failure. Without Billy Preston, they wouldn't have even made it to the roof. I expect most people see the rooftop footage and get a lump in their throat. Why? The Beatles weren't going to release that ever. Allen Klein might deserve Production credit.
(The beginning)
KC
And what a great TRIBUTE it was....
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

would love it if Doug updates his DDSI numbering system for cataloging the sessions. Lots of changes since 2007.

Reminds me of the Mozart Köchel catalogue - where he wrote many Sonatas in E minor for example, so experts refer to the specific one by saying 'Sonata in E minor - K54' or some K number that identifies the particular track.

kind of kool!
BeatlesInMyLife

Post by BeatlesInMyLife »

Great Issue. The best is the Jannuary 10th review. At last some real context about Yoko Ono.
Beatles In My Life