Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
tunbridge wells

Re: Magical Mystery Tour Location Question

Post by tunbridge wells »

I don't know much about cameras and telephoto lenses, but if that foreshortening effect could be due to that then I'd say it was a definite find. The more I look at it the more that looks like the right house.
I think I preferred the garden the way it used to be though.
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

Doubtful: the bay windows on the still seems to have an angle while Google gives a more circular window ( also it's difficult to count the window frames)
Well it's circular:

It's a nail-studio ( Sugar Beauty) and contact is by Facebook... so perhaps while you're nails are polished you could bring up the subject.

( I'm not in Facebook but anyone? it's worth a try.... )
Maybe someone was suffering after the fish and chips.
The bus needed some fuel? I guess there is still a link with the BP/ Gents/ Dandelion scene and when the film sequence is in the right order the second 'loo' could between Seavington St.Michael and the cemetery of Bourton. A wild guess; Half Moon Inn Mudford......

fl.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

I can't post a link at the moment but the planning application and details from 2004 for this house are on Somerset Council's Website. There's a poor quality photo of the front of the house pre-alterations and I'm now not convinced about it being the location. The house has what looks like an original 1930s/40s glazed front door, which doesn't match the 1967 image.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

Screenshot_20240205_190951_Samsung Notes.jpg
Screenshot_20240205_190951_Samsung Notes.jpg (744.21 KiB) Viewed 707 times
tunbridge wells

What incredible delving. I wonder if the occupants of "Sugar Beauty" are aware their property has generated such interest and speculation.
That's an interesting photo, but I think you may be right in deciding it's not the house. The door, and the lawn still being too long. Incredibly similar though, and it must have been built to the same plans. Which means there is the possibility of the one we want being/having been nearby. It would need to be several yards closer to the road.
As I said, the bus would have to be parked across the lawn to get the angle - and oddly enough google maps places a bus stop symbol in their driveway.
tunbridge wells

We never quite nailed the "not very inspiring" view.
mmt-3a.jpg
mmt-3a.jpg (13.52 KiB) Viewed 579 times
I know there's been a suggestion already but there must be something definitive. The field patterns and background hills would suggest so - but it remains elusive My hunch would be somewhere on a high part the A30 or else on the roads in the vicinity of St Mawgan Airfield.
It was inserted into Jolly Jimmy's announcements just before "Flying" and looks considerably grainier.
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

Which means there is the possibility of the one we want being/having been nearby.

a local variant

not for a 100% but it seems we can rule out this one.....

fl.
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

There seems to be a genuine 1967 edit in the sleeping footage and I think also in the right order so my guess is for the 'sleeping beauty' the area shown on the map:

so it reduces the search area if the assumption is correct

fl.
Sn00ker

Post by Sn00ker »

[flabbyroad] wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:38 am There seems to be a genuine 1967 edit in the sleeping footage and I think also in the right order so my guess is for the 'sleeping beauty' the area shown on the map:

so it reduces the search area if the assumption is correct

fl.
Have been looking at this area but no luck so far.

By "genuine 1967 edit" do you mean a cross fade? I'm not sure if that means it's in chronological order or not.
[flabbyroad]

Post by [flabbyroad] »

By "genuine 1967 edit" do you mean a cross fade? I'm not sure if that means it's in chronological order or not.

Yes, I meant the cross fade/ edit at 01:45 in the clip. (It’s on ABP). The scene starts with John creases his jacket beneath his seat. At 01:11 the camera takes a lower angle while it’s still running. Then at 01:45 an edit / cross fade over a length of approximately 11 frames. There is no proof of a time continuity but John uses his jacket to lay his head on and it fits in ‘a sleeping scene’,

the scene continuous with John and George sleeping; is it an edit or a stop and start of the camera? Both no hats. And there is a scene with George (with hat) looking in the camera and John still sleeping.

Somehow I think it’s geographically connected. Same camera, different takes or stop and starts. Although difficult I think it must be possible to find the locations; when George looks in the camera the back ground is rather distinctive, close to the road, white houses and ‘The Green Door ‘ . But when demolished ......

(In the footage near Whiddon Down you can see clearly the stop start of the camera, but then there are white frames; Yes Mr. Bloodvessel. And it seems that some film used in MMT is edit out from the take near Bourton/ Zeals. So are the known outtakes left over from editing MMT on Old Compton street? Or were the rolls edit together while on the road. Perhaps Adam could shine a light on the technical site of filming)
It was inserted into Jolly Jimmy's announcements just before "Flying" and looks considerably grainier.

What about Jimmy’s spot itself? It’s quite distinctive perhaps from the 12th, so any idea ?

fl.