No new official remixes planned

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Lon Chaney III

No new official remixes planned

Post by Lon Chaney III »

According to Giles Martin, the technology does not exist yet to create the remixes of Revolver and Rubber Soul to the standard he wants. So, if Giles is speaking the truth then it's going to be a long wait. However, the remixes I have found on here sound so good to me that it no longer bothers me that more official remixes will not appear anytime soon. I'm not sure who is just reposting other people's mixes or creating their own - I know that the good Lord, Hummus and Kenny Saxton all are mixers but I'm not sure who else creates their own mixes so apologies if I haven't included you here. My point is though that the great stereo mixes that you have all made sound wonderful. After many years of a duophonic Rubber Soul it is a real pleasure to hear it sound so amazing. The mixes I get from here are as good to me as official releases would be - obviously that would technically not be the case but these remixes sound fantastic so thank you all for taking the time to create them and posting them. A few years ago I was looking for any indication that Giles would be looking at the earlier albums but nothing. Now, to me, it doesn't matter. :)
Tex

Re: No new official remixes planned

Post by Tex »

He can't use his remix crutches of ADT and looping it would be painfully obvious and sound terrible. People would rightly trash the mixes.
dumbchops

Post by dumbchops »

I would personally like to see a Super Deluxe Edition of the Yellow Submarine and MMT era. Throw in "Carnival Of Light", several takes of "You Know My Name" and some summer 1967 "noodling jams" and don't worry about creating new mixes for YS + MMT (because it's already been done!).
My full name is Uncle Capt. "Skipper" Dumbchops and I seem to have misplaced my electric pretzel sharpener.
loserlist69

Post by loserlist69 »

I'm not really to found of Giles Martin's remixes. Personally, I rather see the Super Box Sets include original mono and stereo mixes, alternate mixes, outtakes and a book. BBC session tracks when appropriate. Preferably produced by someone other than Giles Martin.
ssane

Post by ssane »

I had hoped that similar technology to the technology Peter Jackson's team developed for Get Back could have been used to remix some of the earlier material.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Who is Giles Martin?
The in-house talent around here is fierce!
TEAM GILES doesn't have any of the Beatles Instincts to match this forum.
KC
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Just think…this means that Revolver and Rubber Soul won’t be mixed specifically for earbuds any time soon…
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

I think the official remixes have been pointless to say the least. I can´t see to which purposes they serve except for making very expensive boxes be even more expensive. They´re only trying to put a sticker on the box cover to justify that.

I love the researcher, fan and collector point of view, as we get here on the forum, with plenty of wonderful remixes that offer new shades on the tracks based on specific readings of the original tracks. These have been enrichening aditions to the songs, and the fact that we can get these make official remixes even less appealing.

I´m also ok with special projects like "YS songtracks" and the "Naked" albums, both "Let it be" and "Double fantasy". But when I see they´re remixing "Sgt. Pepper´s", the White Album or "Abbey Road", all I can think is "Why?". It´s pointless. And, let´s face it, questionable remixes at that. Diminish stereo separation and add a lot of bass; that´s been the pattern. Some relevant musical element is even taken off here and there.

I hope Giles sticks to his words. After the weak "Let it be" box, I hope whoever is in charge of deliberating about Beatles products take a proper direction.
Tex

Post by Tex »

New "Rubber Soul" stereo mixes would lean heavy on putting the rhythm track in the middle and splitting the double track vocals a bit left and right. That sounds fine if you get a good balance and EQ. The problem is the songs where most of the vocal(s) is just a single track and then you are essentially just making a new mono mix with maybe one thing off to the side. Trying to de-mix the backing track for a song like "Girl" would be a sonic disaster the best you could do is open it up slightly. The "Rock Band" game remixes were basically mono with lots of added reverb.

"Revolver" would obviously be a far better remix because of all the track bouncing but you still have simple 4-track songs like "Dr Robert" where any new mix would basically be a copy of the old mix. Maybe they would put the rhythm track dead center instead of left of center.
KennySaxton

Post by KennySaxton »

As the rumours have it, because Giles & co. is preparing an expanded edition of Past Masters, non-album singles are left off from the recent 50th anniversary editions :?:
Words and gibberish remixed from Merriam-Webster's by Kenny Saxton