The wonderful madness of the Get Back series

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
snrub

Re: The wonderful madness of the Get Back series

Post by snrub »

Did Linda ever make her way to the roof, or was she only ever in the control room? It seems strange that she wouldn't have been up there watching, unless she only arrived later during the playbacks.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

fabwill wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:35 am
Kwai Chang wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:38 pm Has anyone seen Derek Taylor or Richard DiLello in any footage? That's strange that the Apple Press Officer missed the rooftop concert above his office.
KC
Early on, you can see DiLello emerge onto the rooftop - his afro hair is the giveaway
@fabwill...
Thank you, ever so kindly!
I missed him, somehow.
I met the House Hippie at Beatlefest'78 Los Angeles. He signed my copy of his book.
He was a guest speaker, and I went up to the microphone to ask a question. I had read that he had some unresolved anguish regarding Pete Ham's suicide. "Paul McCartney wants to punch me in the mouth! He was really limp-wristed about Pete's death and I said so. I thought he could have done more for him" was the approximate quote. So, my question to DiLello was "Does Paul McCartney still want to punch you"? He said that he hadn't seen the person that had relayed the message to him and it had been over a year...but "I'm on Paul's shit-list forever!". I thanked him. He said "you're welcome...HEYYYYYYYYYYY!!! Look what the wind blew in". I turned to see what DiLello was pointing his finger at. Standing directly behind me in line was Joey Molland and Tommy Evans. I stepped away from the microphone and as they stepped forward, a crowd had begun to surround them. Molland was wearing flaired Levis that were covered in paint drops and smears...a stretched out white t-shirt...sneakers. Evan's appearance was rather dapper w/ 3 days of beard stubble. I'll never forget how small they looked.
Thanks, again.
KC
AdamBound

Post by AdamBound »

Doug wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:23 pm It's even worse than what you show. For instance, I don't think they're actually playing "On The Road To Marrakesh" at all, and what we're seeing are excerpts from DDSI 2.01 (Don't Let Me Down) and 2.02 (All Things Must Pass). I agree, though, that a thorough analysis of this would take years, with little hope that we could disassemble everything correctly, since there are many insert shots that we'd never be able to sync.
It is taking a very long time. However, I have nearly finished accurately dubbing everything from January 10th. :D
Complete Twickenham Footage collection out NOW: viewtopic.php?t=7470
Doug

Post by Doug »

AdamBound wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:11 pm It is taking a very long time. However, I have nearly finished accurately dubbing everything from January 10th. :D
I ended up with 7 minutes of unsynched footage from the 10th (including a couple of shots from "Let It Be"). With a few exceptions, these are almost all insert shots. Ringo behind his drums. George glowering. John playing guitar.

These are so brief, however, that I can't see them being accurately identified unless longer shots show up. If they're not talking, there's nothing to accurately sync it up to. Even if you can identify, say, a three second shot where John's playing "Get Back" ... well, which one?
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Doug wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:14 pm I ended up with 7 minutes of unsynched footage from the 10th (including a couple of shots from "Let It Be")
I have only watched Get Back once...after which, it dawned on me that I didn't remember seeing any footage that was from Let It Be. But, "a couple of shots from Let It Be" have been seen. Do you think that Apple instructed Jackson to use only new footage...since Let It Be might get a restoration treatment? Could Disney have demanded that the movies share no common footage? Or, is the Let It Be footage lost, damaged or otherwise unavailable?
I say that because I saw Let It Be in 1970 at a walk in theater. It was so grainy, I got a headache from the eye strain. I bought the video(beta) version in the early 80s. And every other version ever sold, uploaded or 'released'. None looked as good as the film in the theater. So, maybe LIB is not in anybody's possession. At least Jackson found some of it.
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you!
KC
Doug

Post by Doug »

There's some "Let It Be" footage in "Get Back" - the scenes of Mal and Kevin setting things up and shots of Paul from "Suzy's Parlour" come to mind. I think there's just so little of it because Peter didn't choose to use the performances from the earlier film, or purposefully chose different camera angles if he did (such as the scene where George gets shocked, which is mostly from the other camera).
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Doug wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:19 pm There's some "Let It Be" footage in "Get Back" - the scenes of Mal and Kevin setting things up and shots of Paul from "Suzy's Parlour" come to mind. I think there's just so little of it because Peter didn't choose to use the performances from the earlier film, or purposefully chose different camera angles if he did (such as the scene where George gets shocked, which is mostly from the other camera).
Rah! Rah! Rah!
Thank you, Doug!
I'm relieved to know that there IS some common footage shared by both movies. For all that Get Back seems to offer, its primary function is to shine an eternal light on the 80 minute original. Let It Be deserves to be restored to the same standards. THEN, it could be the totem that it is...however obsolete. But, that is pending a successful restoration. I was worried that its production 'parts' might be missing . Let It Be will be most effective and appreciated if it stays out of sight until a physical Get Back set is marketed. That set needs to exhaust its marketing potential via bonus features, or, an extended cut. THEN, roll out the restored ORIGINAL movie as a stand alone campaign (OR, as a bonus feature of Get Back physical product). It might not generate retail interest on its own, but it could in other ways. To spin this properly, the physical Get Back 3-disc set might contain a moderate serving of bonus footage on 2 discs and the third disc would be 'free' copy of the restored Let It Be(NO BONUS MATERIAL). Then, at Christmas or Summer the Get Back physical set would no longer include the third disc. Concurrently, Let It Be would be released as a stand alone product with bonus features. Another idea would be to make the Get Back physical sets contain 3 discs with bonus footage...and the first 5,000 copies would include Let It Be as a free 4th disc(movie only, no bonus). This would then be marketed as a stand alone retail unit AFTER physical set campaign ends. It would retail as multiple editions(basic/deluxe/super deluxe). Another gimmick might include a strip of the original 16mm work print a la File Under: Beatles bootleg. I don't understand why January 31, 1969 was depicted so differently in Get Back. But, I bet the footage is of higher caliber than the rest. I think the 31st might be good enough to be 'Get Back II'. Different flyers/handbills inserted into the Let It Be movie retail units would say "COMING SOON: Get Back II"...."Go to the basement! Go to the basement!"..."Get back to Get Back". Other projected marketing might include themed featurettes(1 hour episodes?) of the video. Twickenham Oldies, Billy Preston, Let It Abbey, Who's Cigar Smoke Is It Anyway?, Meet The Wife, I Just Saw Two Policemen Walk That-A-Way! I Dig A Road Hogg, MALicious Evans, Aspinal Corps, Magic Studio, STUDERless In Seattle, John's G'Lynnon, What...Drugs??? Long And Winding Dirge, Oh no! There's A Virgin On The Roof... Et Cetera! Et Cetera!
So, Let It Be WILL play a role...as long as it exists!
Upon further consideration, multiple 6-month Get Back campaigns will be possible AND necessary. Eventually, I want this to catalyze a deluxification of the whole catalog. Call Disney!!! We want a U.S. Capitol Beatles Albums campaign. Dave Dexter, Jr. will become a MARVEL SuperHero and, there will be...
Thanks, for indulging me!
Someday, I've got to stop sitting at this keyboard.
KC
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

Kwai Chang wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:04 pm Standing directly behind me in line was Joey Molland and Tommy Evans.
We have crossed paths, KC. I was in the room that day, and remember your exchange with RD. Also have memory of my friend and I being startled to find Tom and Joey sitting right behind us at a presentation there. My friend did a comic double-take and we all had a laugh.
Davenicks

Post by Davenicks »

Doug wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:19 pm There's some "Let It Be" footage in "Get Back" - the scenes of Mal and Kevin setting things up and shots of Paul from "Suzy's Parlour" come to mind. I think there's just so little of it because Peter didn't choose to use the performances from the earlier film, or purposefully chose different camera angles if he did (such as the scene where George gets shocked, which is mostly from the other camera).
It would seem that there were times when only one camera was running; so if PJ wanted to include such a moment in GB and MLH had already used it in LIB, he'd have no choice but to use the same footage. No?

D in N
zappaf78

Post by zappaf78 »

For those comparing the original movie and the 3 part series and wondering why there is barely anything used from the original movie and maybe because of who owns such material.... MAYBE he wants to focus on showing unseen footage than showing something we already saw? Do you really want to waste time on seeing the same old thing? I'm glad something new, previously unseen got released. We were supposed to get a 2 hour film, we got 6 hours instead, thank God. Hoping for extras. By the way.. anyone filmed the Peter Jackson intro? He did show something from his Ipad on some unique footage (so I heard). Adambound, you've done a wonderful job before, and I can't imagine the time spent on reviewing this set. Remember, you do need the sneak peak footage for a missing bit of this: