Paul in Japan 2018: Multitrack surround sound!

Fan created remixes and rare variations
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

This was an unintended result… I had this audio in my Edit folder for 3 years and the other day decided to take a stab at synching FAB’s IEM version of the show with an audience recording. I was intending to do a stereo mix but had Audacity still set up for 4-channel output from a previous project so I went with it!

Thank the gods of digital audio recording that the two sources lined up very easily, without having to resort to various editing tricks.

Those of you with surround systems should be able to hear the now fuller-sounding show with the soundboard mix in the front and audience mix in the rear. Let me know how that experience is!

Besides aligning the audio I did no EQ, normalization or other treatment, other than reducing the volume of the audience track by -2db when needed to avoid overload.

If you load the tracks in Audacity you can A/B the sources, neither of which is really good on its own other than to hear isolated vocals (like Paul’s warbly voice) and instruments.

Notes:

Be aware that Paul’s biggest ever female fan in Japan was within mic range and screamed his name the entire show!

Track 1 is only in 2-track stereo because it’s the pre-show stuff and there was no SBD version of it.

If you Quicklook the tracks on a Mac you only hear the (first two) soundboard tracks, so you need to open them in a DAW for computer use.

I have a few of the other Tokyo shows from the days after this in multiple sources and can do the same 4.0 treatment if people enjoy this enough.

Go get it!

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1zWmJrucPTNVnrUoP4oXtyZa2pclCoAgy/view?usp=sharing (4.0)
Last edited by alphabeatles on Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:43 am, edited 6 times in total.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

I hope all of you who checked this out enjoyed it! So far I only heard back from Buddy Holly and the CRICKETS ;-)

I just finished comping together 3 sources for the 11/1/18 Tokyo show into 6-track files. The combined results really rock! I wish I could hear this on a surround system...

Paul's biggest female fan was perhaps not at this show but her boyfriend was...

Included is the art from the original soundboard release. I don't recall where the audience versions came from, probably BZ or Maccaspan.

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1ADsWWQBgDXaAliqzjBysBDkpg-miQ7bT/view?usp=sharing
MrP

Re: Paul in Japan 2018: Multitrack surround sound!

Post by MrP »

your downloads should have contained new txt files from you identifying what you did to the release
rather than silence which will create confusion as to what these are
you left the original bootleg artwork only in the files as well as the original txt file
one had FAB artwork with a txt file noting EVSD info

the confusion in the future is inevitable as someone will have it in their collection and think it is the Empress Valley set and post it or repost it to a request and in fact are posting this set

you created something
own it
don't leave unrelated artwork and txt files in your creation download
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Good point MrP! In the meantime, please refer to what info I posted above as to my basic process.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

And finally we have the third and final Tokyo show from 11/5/18 in 4.0!

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/11YOIevL7KKjBaLGHShutXEFbIi2ZheuD/view?usp=sharing

As per MrP's advice I have included a summary txt file explaining what I did (quoted here below) and differentiated what was the original artwork for the soundboard release I used. This info applies to all three shows.

I think these newly composited results sound really good now, almost like official releases (and I can only hear them in stereo). If you can listen to these in sourround, please let me know how they are! Hopefully it will be a whole new "Paul is live" experience...

"See you next time!"

Paul in Japan 2018 MULTITRACK by Alphabeatles, 12/21! What is this?

This was an unintended project…

I had this audio from three of Paul’s 2018 Tokyo shows in my Edit folder for over three years (soundboards from the FAB! and EVSD labels and some uncredited audience captures from some forum). The other day I decided to finally take a stab at synching the sterile soundboards with the more boomy and ambient audience recordings. I was intending to do a stereo mixdown of the results but I had Audacity still set up for 4-channel output from a previous project – so I went with it!

Here’s what I did:

I loaded up each entire set of tracks (first the soundboard, then the audience) in Audacity show by show, then exported each set of tracks as one continuous chunk.

I then re-imported the single chunks for each show into Audacity and carefully lined them up against each other at high magnification. Each show has two tracks for the soundboard mix (tracks 1-2) and either two or four tracks for the audience, depending on whether there were multiple sources or not.

Thank the gods of digital audio recording that the separate sources lined up very easily and reliably, without having to resort to various destructive editing tricks.

Those of you with surround systems should be able to hear the now fuller-sounding show in stereo with the soundboard mix in the front and audience mix in the rear.

If you load the tracks in Audacity you can solo the sources to see how each sounds, none of which are really good on their own other than to hear isolated vocals (like Paul’s warbly voice) and instruments. You can also adjust the volume of each track if desired or needed.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Special bonus: Nagoya Japan 11/8/18, incomplete, 4.0:

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1aZz3KdnihtkW1eil4bCg7RIKuXVDH9a_/view?usp=sharing

I only had a handful of incomplete soundboard tracks for this show but a complete audience tape, so I did the best I could... ;-)

Not available in stores!
CristobalH96

Post by CristobalH96 »

great project, im listening october 31st show now, fantastic sound, i downloaded all the shows, thanks
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Thanks for your feedback CristobalH96! Are you listening in stereo or surround?
CristobalH96

Post by CristobalH96 »

surround, so im listening sbd and audience at the same time

pd: the end of let 'em in, it's not properly synched, check out the "thank you" of paul, plus some songs the vocals sounds like adt or doble chorus, it's very important, always, hear or watch your own projects many time before release it, i do always until get tired of the project hahaha
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Thanks, I'll check that soon – I may recall hearing it but it seemed legit. Check it in Audacity and see if the surrounding audio matches.

Also check to see if the arena echo causes the ADT.

In Audacity you can slide the tracks around to see if it's me or something else.

(And yes, I did check each song beginning/end carefully, as well as throughout each song ;-) )

So how does surround sound otherwise? I assume it could be a nice experience!