O.P.D. - What'd would or wouldn't you do to restore Get Back acetate 1?

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
paul62

Re: O.P.D. - What'd would or wouldn't you do to restore Get Back acetate 1?

Post by paul62 »

powerPC wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:48 am Kudos to Paul62 for the main audio portions of the Glyn Johns third compilation (EQ’d Japan issue of LIB 50th Anniversary SDE).
Good one, Keith!
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
bulldog69

Post by bulldog69 »

Thank you Paul :D

Bless you wherever you are :)
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Great inserts bulldog69!! 8-)
—Keith
bulldog69

Post by bulldog69 »

powerPC wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:04 pm Great inserts bulldog69!! 8-)
Thanks Keith :D
Bless you wherever you are :)
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

The biggest problem with Acetate 1 is the massive amount of flutter. I can't understand how a professionally cut disc could have such wobbly speed.
MARVINMARTIN

Post by MARVINMARTIN »

powerPC wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:48 am I assembled this “rebuild” of compilation #2 based on the new Glyn Johns 1969 mix (Japan)… From what I'm reading online at www.beatlesource.com/bs/mains/audio/Get ... comp2.html (great site for info), here's what i'm finding out:

A few months after the end of the "Get Back Sessions", in early March 1969 (this might further the original March date theory for compilation 1), Glyn was finally given the task of compiling an actual album. He set about 
this task throughout April and early May 1969. This would be Glyn's second compilation and was constructed with the intent for future release but, essentially, it became the prototype for compilations 3 and 4. Apparently, The Beatles disapproved of this compilation. In late May 1969, Glyn did some editing on this version and produced compilation 3.

MASTER REEL:
 John Barrett only list one Get Back reel in 1969. He does not list individual mix reels for compilations 2 and 3. Mark Lewisohn's
 research denotes the terms "master tape banding and compilation". So, it seems probable that this reel was spliced together 
utilizing various mix tapes. Subsequently, this reel was probably edited to produce compilation 3 and thus, probably the reason 
this compilation is not noted by Barrett.

This second compilation differs from the more common third compilation in that there are a few tidbits of different dialog and, more importantly, different edits of "Get Back" and "Dig It"

"Get Back" is the same performance as the single version but lacks the coda (edited from another take) that is heard on the single and, unlike compilation 1, does not feature a 'cold' ending. Instead, the song comes to a natural end followed by a few seconds of otherwise unavailable (from multi-track) studio chat among The Beatles. Note: this additional bit of dialog (probably sourced from O.P.D.) can be heard at the end of disc 8 of The Get Back Journals 1 (Vigotone Records). A small bit of it is heard on Glyn's first compilation.

• On Glyn's third compilation, "Dig It" is edited to the more common 3:58. On this second compilation, it clocks in a minute longer at 4:57. Again, this is the only place these variants are available from a multi-track source.

This is the contents of the second compilation (O.P.D. version)...

SIDE ONE

1. One After 909:
This is the same as compilations 3 [1969] and 4 [1970].

2. Rocker-Save The Last Dance For Me-Don't Let Me Down:
This is the same as compilation 3. (Compilation 4 also features these performances 
but there is some debate how accurate the available recordings are.)

3. Don't Let Me Down:
This is the same as compilation 3.

4. Dig A Pony:

5. I've Got a Feeling:
This is the same mix as compilation 3. However, Ringo's end comment, "Glyn, what does that sound like?" is absent. It's not clear if it was omitted on O.P.D. or if it was
 added for compilation three.

6. Get Back:
On O.P.D., this performance begins as it does on compilation 1 (with John's comment, "picks with the fingers"). The song comes to a natural end followed by a few seconds of otherwise unavailable (from multi-track) studio chat among The Beatles.

SIDE TWO

1. For You Blue:
This is the same as compilation 3. Omits the sound of ice tinkling in a glass at the beginning.

2. Teddy Boy:

3. Two Of Us/Maggie Mae:
This is the same as compilations 3 and 4.

4. Dig It:
This is a longer 5-minute edit but otherwise, it sounds the same as the 4-minute edit on compilation three. The additional minute is at 
the beginning of the song. Both edits end the same. The first three seconds of this mix is also found on the oldies compilation
[*NOTE: the edit piece I re-inserted at the beginning is mono, but I used "O.P.D." as a guide for where the edits were originally placed.]

5. Let It Be:

6. The Long and Winding Road:
This mix is the same as compilation 3. However, it doesn't include John's intro comment, "Are we supposed to giggle in the
 solo?" and Paul's reply, "yeah". The comments are not simply missing from the WBCN broadcast, they are missing on the acetate.

(Get Back - reprise):

I'm not an audio remixing guru by any stretch of the imagination; I tried as best I could to follow the O.P.D. edits and spacing... It's not perfect, obviously... but still, I hope you like it! 8-)

mega.nz/file/Gsh0EZzI#dHpqEBnLDFuCEGv9jP4EkQSLSmFEqYT3igT5OrIE5sA

Kudos to Paul62 for the main audio portions of the Glyn Johns third compilation (EQ’d Japan issue of LIB 50th Anniversary SDE).
EXCELLENT...MANY THANKS
paul62

Post by paul62 »

bulldog69 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:51 pm Thank you Paul :D

I like them! Good stuff, my friend!!

For people who make cover art, I found this website where you can upload an image or some script and the site works out what font is being used: I uploaded the Let It Be LP cover and this was the result:

(I think Chantilly Serial Heavy might be the closest).
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
tulirepo

Post by tulirepo »

powerPC wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:48 am
NEW LINK: hxxps://mega.nz/folder/y8QGQZhZ#diYeX0QieTVED07093zqIA

Sources: for most of the audio I used the Get Back 3rd compilation from "Thirty Days" with a few minor edits (based on "O.P.D." LP rip) and inserted approximately 1 minute to the beginning of "Dig It" from "Celluloid Rock" (unfortunately in mono), again using "O.P.D." as a guide for edits.
Thanks - great work! I thought of doing something similar and, in fact, tried to reconstruct the two tracks with the most significant differences:

For Get Back I used the Untouched Elektra Acetate version as a basis and reconstructed the coda with the help of an OPD-LP rip and the Nagra source from A/B Road. Note that Glyn obviously looped a brief snippet of the coda to make it longer. At least that's how it appears on the OPD source.

Dig It was more tricky. For the exclusive first minute I took the long Dig It from Celluloid Rock and mixed it as good as I could with the OPD left channel to gain some stereo effect. I then crossfaded this mix into a clean standard Dig It from one of the other Get Back compilations.

If anybody's interested: hxxps://tinyurl.com/yms8wu25
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

tulirepo wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:39 am Thanks - great work! I thought of doing something similar and, in fact, tried to reconstruct the two tracks with the most significant differences:

For Get Back I used the Untouched Elektra Acetate version as a basis and reconstructed the coda with the help of an OPD-LP rip and the Nagra source from A/B Road. Note that Glyn obviously looped a brief snippet of the coda to make it longer. At least that's how it appears on the OPD source.

Dig It was more tricky. For the exclusive first minute I took the long Dig It from Celluloid Rock and mixed it as good as I could with the OPD left channel to gain some stereo effect. I then crossfaded this mix into a clean standard Dig It from one of the other Get Back compilations.

If anybody's interested: hxxps://tinyurl.com/yms8wu25
Thanks tulirepo! I'm downloading yours now, very interested to hear how you handled those tricky "problem" tracks. 8-)
—Keith
BeatleGuy1949

Post by BeatleGuy1949 »

Great Work!!