aslak

Re: Melvin's Twickenham in four-stem stereo

Post by aslak »

Thank you
maccafan2021

Post by maccafan2021 »

Thanks a lot, EdinSc!

I would like to ask a question. Is there anything different or better here than what came out in the excellent NewBlue Soap compilation?
dumbchops

Post by dumbchops »

maccafan2021 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:25 am Thanks a lot, EdinSc!

I would like to ask a question. Is there anything different or better here than what came out in the excellent NewBlue Soap compilation?
Here's a chance to A/B them:
hxxps://we.tl/t-yT23BF2318

"14A04 Suzis Parlor 4T" (2:27) is from the Melvin set.

"049 Suzy's Parlour - 9.40" (2:27) is from New Blue Soap".
My full name is Uncle Capt. "Skipper" Dumbchops and I seem to have misplaced my electric pretzel sharpener.
maccafan2021

Post by maccafan2021 »

dumbchops wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:16 pm

Thanks Dumb!

I think Melvin´s set is more clear and the drums hear better, for my ears

Cheers!
dumbchops

Post by dumbchops »

maccafan2021 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:30 pm
dumbchops wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:16 pm

Thanks Dumb!

I think Melvin´s set is more clear and the drums hear better, for my ears

Cheers!
My take: New Blue Soap has wider stereo but is "unmastered". Melvin set has louder sound but smaller stereo soundscape. Also NBS is 100% complete which may be the bigger difference. The bottom line is some will like one better than the other and vice versa for somebody else. NBS was done with 5 stem separation and I still have all of the stem tracks. i can't remember how large the folder was but it was close to 200 GB. If anybody has a request for a particular roll I can share it so they can make their own stereo mixdown.
My full name is Uncle Capt. "Skipper" Dumbchops and I seem to have misplaced my electric pretzel sharpener.
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

I'm curious why people are upset the boxed set lacks Twickenham material -

IMO, I believe the Boxed Set is supposed to be a remastered AUDIO presentation that uses the best quality audio sources available. Those are the items that Glyn Johns had the opportunity to record on multitrack at Apple of the material that got advanced enough and would be chosen for inclusion on the Get Back album. Twickenham was the venue for rehearsing, and building songs which is why those recordings were only recorded on the camera footage for the movie. Big source difference the Nagra footage is best WITH the video included. The multitrack reels were recorded for the audio release and used for the Phil Spector release and later releases of various items on Anthology etc.
The boxed set utilizes all the available space allotted for the release using the best multitrack audio sources.

The Nagra camera material from both Twick and Apple are GETTING a SIX HOUR remastered presentation by Peter Jackson - so why would I want all that repeated and taking up space on the Boxed Set? I can record that movie and extract all the audio and make my own supplementary boxed set of that footage if it;s that important.

Another example - why do I want to hear the apple rooftop concert audio only on the boxed set? Jackson is releasing the entire concert remastered on video and that to me is where the AUDIO belongs - WITH THE VIDEO. Use the boxed set space for other things so I don;t hear and see it in the movie, too. Remember that making the BOX costs money too - and they cannot make such a big set that it would be too cost prohibiting...as to recoup the investment, they need more than just die hard fans to by those boxes.

curious of other opinions -
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

millerTEK wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:27 am I'm curious why people are upset the boxed set lacks Twickenham material -

IMO, I believe the Boxed Set is supposed to be a remastered AUDIO presentation that uses the best quality audio sources available. Those are the items that Glyn Johns had the opportunity to record on multitrack at Apple of the material that got advanced enough and would be chosen for inclusion on the Get Back album. Twickenham was the venue for rehearsing, and building songs which is why those recordings were only recorded on the camera footage for the movie. Big source difference the Nagra footage is best WITH the video included. The multitrack reels were recorded for the audio release and used for the Phil Spector release and later releases of various items on Anthology etc.
The boxed set utilizes all the available space allotted for the release using the best multitrack audio sources.

The Nagra camera material from both Twick and Apple are GETTING a SIX HOUR remastered presentation by Peter Jackson - so why would I want all that repeated and taking up space on the Boxed Set? I can record that movie and extract all the audio and make my own supplementary boxed set of that footage if it;s that important.

Another example - why do I want to hear the apple rooftop concert audio only on the boxed set? Jackson is releasing the entire concert remastered on video and that to me is where the AUDIO belongs - WITH THE VIDEO. Use the boxed set space for other things so I don;t hear and see it in the movie, too. Remember that making the BOX costs money too - and they cannot make such a big set that it would be too cost prohibiting...as to recoup the investment, they need more than just die hard fans to by those boxes.

curious of other opinions -
But they are not utilizing the disc space. If you see the track listing, you'll see you are getting some of the Anthology tracks AGAIN as well as a disc with only 4 songs on while most the other discs have at least 15 minutes or so of BLANK space. If you think you are getting value for your money.....Abbey Road and White Album really will make you wish you 'left this be' because all the decent material coulsd have easilly been put out as a 2 disc set with less blank space on the discs and just keep the Let It Be remaster separate.