Um... Why Did I Just Do That?!?

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
ExDalek

Re: Um... Why Did I Just Do That?!?

Post by ExDalek »

Thanks for sharing this. It reminds me of the UK 'Top of the Pops' albums (nothing to do with the tv show). If you don't know, they were cover versions of popular songs sung by unknown (and sometimes untalented) singers. I had a couple and some of the songs had wrong lyrics, as if they had heard them and were trying to remember them :? I'm sure no-one bought them for the scantily clad women on them...

http://topofthepopslps.weebly.com/main- ... eries.html
“I remember it like it was yesterday. Of course, I don’t really remember yesterday all that well.”
McCharmly

Post by McCharmly »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:58 am That guy on the far right looks about 45.
:o
Vee-Jay

Post by Vee-Jay »

McCharmly wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:25 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:58 am That guy on the far right looks about 45.
I feel a curious mixture of amusement and guilt upon examining your avatar, Maestro McCharmly. :shock: :oops: :lol:
McCharmly

Post by McCharmly »

Vee-Jay wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:38 pm
McCharmly wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:25 pm
I feel a curious mixture of amusement and guilt upon examining your avatar, Maestro McCharmly. :shock: :oops: :lol:
I tend to have that effect on people. :lol:
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

ExDalek wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:28 pm Thanks for sharing this. It reminds me of the UK 'Top of the Pops' albums (nothing to do with the tv show). If you don't know, they were cover versions of popular songs sung by unknown (and sometimes untalented) singers. I had a couple and some of the songs had wrong lyrics, as if they had heard them and were trying to remember them :? I'm sure no-one bought them for the scantily clad women on them...

http://topofthepopslps.weebly.com/main- ... eries.html
Don't knock them. They were at No.1 when 'Imagine' was slipping down the charts :o

As a vinyl collector I get sick of the sight of the TOTP albums in charity shops & car boot sales. I was a K-Tel man myself... a bit more upmarket. :)
Last edited by Nimbus on Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeatlesVI

Post by BeatlesVI »

I am still on the hunt for a clean rip of "The Beatles"' "Ain't She Sweet" lp' which was 4 Beatles/Tony Sheridan cuts, filled out by songs by "The Swallows".
...the member formerly known as "sirguitarist"
Doug

Post by Doug »

My copy is mono. I never even bought this thing - someone threw it in as a freebee when I bought some other record years ago.

A similar record is "Beatle Mania!" by The Liverpools (does anyone have stereo on that? Mine is also mono). This release, by Wyncote, took the exploitation factor of the Buggs a step further, since they also released the same material with cartoon squirrels on the cover and the vocals pitched up to emulate The Chipmunks. It's also listenable, in a garage-band trying to be British-Invasion kind of way.

One I don't have anymore, but wish I did, is "The Beatle Story"... not to be confused with "The Beatles Story." I barely remember it (for good reason), but this, too, had a handful of lame cover versions (which are never identified - leading the buyer to believe they're getting the real thing).
ringo9

Post by ringo9 »

Wow never heard of this!
Despite the cover displaying "The original Liverpool sound", and claiming to have been "Recorded in England," The Buggs hailed from New Jersey and the album was actually recorded in the New York/New Jersey area.

Wonder if they recorded at Rudy Van Gelder's
tymime

Post by tymime »

Doug wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:31 amA similar record is "Beatle Mania!" by The Liverpools (does anyone have stereo on that? Mine is also mono).
I actually have this one in stereo! I got it from a blog I think- I try to grab any Beatle sound-alike LPs I can when I find 'em. Lemme upload it.
hxxps://mega.nz/folder/8lNGCJ5Z#m7LW5A3IKPZOBV1tkAeJpA
Doug

Post by Doug »

Thank you :D