*PRISTINE* 1980's-era US Beatles LP rips 2021 (THE WHOLE BLOODY SET! + BONUS)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
paul62

Re: *PRISTINE* 1980's-era US Beatles LP rips - updated 2021 collection

Post by paul62 »

I use Adobe Audition (with ASIO4ALL installed and used) for my 'drops: here's an article explaining what ASIO4ALL is:
https://magroove.com/blog/en-us/what-is-asio4all/
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
Beatles4Ever

Post by Beatles4Ever »

I think people are being a little hard on hogshead and vee-jay.

Hogshead is correct in his thoughts, perhaps a few took it to be a bit harsh but I think he was trying to give advice.
So...I'll try to help you if I can...in perhaps a lighter tone. So everything that follows is simply advice and nothing more.

I didn't get your first set of rips so I can't make any judgement calls as to how they sound but......
When doing needledrops...lineage is key.

The less computer and or software involvement in the ripping process the better. One of the biggest reasons is the introduction of unwanted noise and other reasons such as the onboard soundcard in your computer is not a high resolution capture device....regardless of what it is telling you.

The best way to rip vinyl would be....Turntable, PreAmp, to a stand alone hi-res recording device.
Once the recording has been made, you off load the audio from the recording device to your computer and use software to clean it up if it needs it...and it usually does in some fashion.

You want to record and playback the audio "flat"....no EQ. That way you actually hear what is in the grooves you just recorded.
Never EQ or use NR.....big no no.

Don't allow the software to automatically do anything....it's best if you manually clean it up. But, if the vinyl is pristine than you shouldn't have much to clean up if the records were washed before recording them. If the records are clean and in pristine condition than manual software cleanup for any ticks or pops should be fairly straight forward.

The only other advice I'd give is......if you are going to go through the trouble to record and clean up vinyl, you may as well do it in high resolution. 24/44.1 is not high resolution. It's basically a 24 bit cd. You should rip at a minimum of 24/96 but I'd suggest higher than that. 32 bit float is optimal but 24/192 is more than enough to rip and do the clean up work. You could than downsample to 24/96 and share them in that format, or simply share them in the ripping format.

You may ask yourself why 24/96?
Well....if you share them in 24/96 that keeps the audiophile guys happy (the gods will smile upon thee) and for those who want to burn a cd, they can simply downsample the 24/96 to 16/44.1 and everyone is happy and no one will be able to give you any crap for it.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me if you like, and I would be more than happy to help if I can.
By the way....this is a hobby, it is meant to be enjoyable. So, enjoy doing what you're doing regardless of skill, knowledge or equipment. You can only do what you know how to do and you can only rip with the equipment you currently have. Learning a new skill is fun and rewarding and equipment can always be upgraded when the time comes or when you can afford to do so.

Soldier on mate.
Cheers,
B4E
mitchellmichael

Post by mitchellmichael »

Beatles4Ever wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:11 am I think people are being a little hard on hogshead and vee-jay.

Hogshead is correct in his thoughts, perhaps a few took it to be a bit harsh but I think he was trying to give advice.
So...I'll try to help you if I can...in perhaps a lighter tone. So everything that follows is simply advice and nothing more.

I didn't get your first set of rips so I can't make any judgement calls as to how they sound but......

The less computer and or software involvement in the ripping process the better. One of the biggest reasons is the introduction of unwanted noise and other reasons such as the onboard soundcard in your computer is not a high resolution capture device....regardless of what it is telling you.

The best way to rip vinyl would be....Turntable, PreAmp, to a stand alone hi-res recording device.
Once the recording has been made, you off load the audio from the recording device to your computer and use software to clean it up if it needs it...and it usually does in some fashion.

You want to record and playback the audio "flat"....no EQ. That way you actually hear what is in the grooves you just recorded.

Don't allow the software to automatically do anything....it's best if you manually clean it up. But, if the vinyl is pristine than you shouldn't have much to clean up if the records were washed before recording them. If the records are clean and in pristine condition than manual software cleanup for any ticks or pops should be fairly straight forward.

The only other advice I'd give is......if you are going to go through the trouble to record and clean up vinyl, you may as well do it in high resolution. 24/44.1 is not high resolution. It's basically a 24 bit cd. You should rip at a minimum of 24/96 but I'd suggest higher than that. 32 bit float is optimal but 24/192 is more than enough to rip and do the clean up work. You could than downsample to 24/96 and share them in that format, or simply share them in the ripping format.

Well....if you share them in 24/96 that keeps the audiophile guys happy (the gods will smile upon thee) and for those who want to burn a cd, they can simply downsample the 24/96 to 16/44.1 and everyone is happy and no one will be able to give you any crap for it.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me if you like, and I would be more than happy to help if I can.
By the way....this is a hobby, it is meant to be enjoyable. So, enjoy doing what you're doing regardless of skill, knowledge or equipment. You can only do what you know how to do and you can only rip with the equipment you currently have. Learning a new skill is fun and rewarding and equipment can always be upgraded when the time comes or when you can afford to do so.

Soldier on mate.
Cheers,
B4E
Well said!!
Cheers
Mike
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

Beatles4Ever wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:11 am I think people are being a little hard on hogshead and vee-jay.

Soldier on mate.
Cheers,
B4E
All very well put B4E. I applaud the way you put it all across and I agree with everything you are saying to V-J apart from the 'high resolution' bit.

Most on-board sound cards and entry level DACs only encode at 16/44 or 16/48. Many people think they have recorded hi-res rips but really haven't. Unless you bought yourself a $200+ DAC you most likely aren't really capturing in hi-res. You are just adding extra bits containing a lot of zeros. It achieves nothing. Editing in a higher bit rate has it's advantages but you can just open your 16 bit recording in 32 float or 24 bit in the editing suite and then save the project back to 16/44 or 16/48 when finished...or leave it as 24 bit to avoid the 'crap for it' you mention. But you would just be selling snakeoil.
Beatles4Ever

Post by Beatles4Ever »

ianbuckers wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:46 pm

Soldier on mate.
Cheers,
B4E
All very well put B4E. I applaud the way you put it all across and I agree with everything you are saying to V-J apart from the 'high resolution' bit.

Most on-board sound cards and entry level DACs only encode at 16/44 or 16/48. Many people think they have recorded hi-res rips but really haven't. Unless you bought yourself a $200+ DAC you most likely aren't really capturing in hi-res. You are just adding extra bits containing a lot of zeros. It achieves nothing. Editing in a higher bit rate has it's advantages but you can just open your 16 bit recording in 32 float or 24 bit in the editing suite and then save the project back to 16/44 or 16/48 when finished...or leave it as 24 bit to avoid the 'crap for it' you mention. But you would just be selling snakeoil.
I don't need a DAC to record. My setup is the turntable, the preamp, directly into my tascam recording device which records at 24/192 high resolution onto an SD card. Once the audio is recorded it can then be transferred to the computer and worked on in audition or a number of other software packages I have. So...not to sound rude, which I'm not trying to be, recording in high resolution is not "selling snake oil".....
If you are recording things using your computer than I would agree, you are not recording in high resolution because most computers onboard sound cards are not capable of doing that, which is why I don't use a computer to record. Not to mention the amount of noise that would be introduced to the recording with spinning hard drives and any other such things going on inside the computer.
Having said that, I am not using a cheap USB record player to record with....my recording chain is 100 percent analog with the exception of the recording device itself.
But out of curiosity, why would I want to introduce a DAC into my recording chain anyway? A DAC is a digital to analog converter, I am recording a pure analog sound onto a digital recording device.
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

Beatles4Ever wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:21 pm
ianbuckers wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:46 pm

Soldier on mate.
Cheers,
B4E

I don't need a DAC to record. My setup is the turntable, the preamp, directly into my tascam recording device which records at 24/192 high resolution onto an SD card. Once the audio is recorded it can then be transferred to the computer and worked on in audition or a number of other software packages I have. So...not to sound rude, which I'm not trying to be, recording in high resolution is not "selling snake oil".....
If you are recording things using your computer than I would agree, you are not recording in high resolution because most computers onboard sound cards are not capable of doing that, which is why I don't use a computer to record.
But out of curiosity, why would I want to introduce a DAC into my recording chain anyway? A DAC is a digital to analog converter, I am recording a pure analog sound onto a digital recording device.
I totally agree, the way you are doing it you don't need a DAC. If you are using a DAC or on-board sound and it can only sample at 16bit if you then record at 24bit you aren't capturing anything in the extra 8 bits...so if you share that rip it's a bogus hi-res rip. That's what I meant was snake oil. I is often done quite innocently.

However, it is the case that there is no sonic benefit to 24-bit...but that's another argument for another time.
Beatles4Ever

Post by Beatles4Ever »

I kinda thought that was what you were referring to, but wanted to clarify it for myself I suppose. As for the benefit of recording in hi res....there are many. For one thing, the more information you have within the recording, the more precise you can be with your clean up work. Listening to something in hi resolution on equipment capable of actually reproducing the sound in true high resolution , it is night and day if you compare hi-res to cd quality.

As for me....I'm a purist when it comes to playback of music. I happen to like pure analog sound from vinyl. I actually like the sound I get from playing my records on my turntable and simply listening to them through nice speakers. And...yes, I know....that it is not hi-resolution, it's old school.

The conversation and topic here however, is for recording vinyl and nothing more than that. My personal preferences are just that....my own.
However, recording techniques are subject to debate...but the bottom line is, if you can record without the use of a computer, you are heading in the right direction. The least amount of devices in the chain, the closer you can get to true analog....which is kind of the point.
AllTogetherNow

Post by AllTogetherNow »

Beatles4Ever wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:51 pm I kinda thought that was what you were referring to, but wanted to clarify it for myself I suppose. As for the benefit of recording in hi res....there are many. For one thing, the more information you have within the recording, the more precise you can be with your clean up work. Listening to something in hi resolution on equipment capable of actually reproducing the sound in true high resolution , it is night and day if you compare hi-res to cd quality.

As for me....I'm a purist when it comes to playback of music. I happen to like pure analog sound from vinyl. I actually like the sound I get from playing my records on my turntable and simply listening to them through nice speakers. And...yes, I know....that it is not hi-resolution, it's old school.

The conversation and topic here however, is for recording vinyl and nothing more than that. My personal preferences are just that....my own.
However, recording techniques are subject to debate...but the bottom line is, if you can record without the use of a computer, you are heading in the right direction. The least amount of devices in the chain, the closer you can get to true analog....which is kind of the point.
Exactly sums it up perfectly.

Regards
ATN

G36 & SME
Whats in that jar on your shelf? Tar?
No...its liquid Vinyl for making my dream collection.

The one with the Golden lid too?
Thats exclusive for Lord Reiths stuff
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

Beatles4Ever wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:51 pm I kinda thought that was what you were referring to, but wanted to clarify it for myself I suppose. As for the benefit of recording in hi res....there are many. For one thing, the more information you have within the recording, the more precise you can be with your clean up work. Listening to something in hi resolution on equipment capable of actually reproducing the sound in true high resolution , it is night and day if you compare hi-res to cd quality.

Your method is food for thought B4E. And there's nothing wrong with old school. All good.
James_Creek

Post by James_Creek »

ok Friday the 13th...another 'release'?
'to be alive ~ is undo your belt and look for trouble!'