*PRISTINE* 1980's-era US Beatles LP rips 2021 (THE WHOLE BLOODY SET! + BONUS)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Vee-Jay

Re: *PRISTINE* 1980's-era US Beatles LP rips - updated 2021 collection

Post by Vee-Jay »

ianbuckers wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:12 pm
Vee-Jay wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:55 pm
ianbuckers wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:11 am Ah okay. I thought I remembered you looking to purchase an Audio Technica LP series turntable? Are you relying on the Realtek Audio to do the A/D conversions?
Hi, ianbuckers! I think you may be confusing me with one of the "other" Vee-Jays that have joined this forum under multiple different spellings of the name...
hogshead of hellfire wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:41 pm The setup kind of negates boasting about the condition of the records :|

A well kept 50 y.o. Thorens 160 jacked-into the phono section of any 1970s-era stereo receiver, with a Tascam DR-07 copying it at 24/96 onto a micro sd card, would yield a more worthwhile result. Upload the sd card then to a MEGA account through a burner phone and it's all good. I don't get all the effort wasted with recycling the signal through (unnecessary) software plugins.
Hey, hogshead of hellfire! Thanks for your thoughts. I can't speak to any of that, except to say that I'm doing the best I can with the equipment that I have available. I simply rip them into Audacity directly. I can't be sure what the Intel or Realtek is doing anyway. :lol:

I initially transferred these LPs simply so that I could listen to them again. Further, I thought it might be nice to share them here, since I've benefited from others doing the same.
Hoghead might be being a tad heavy on you but I think he means your vinyl can be as pristine as you want but it won't be captured well with a weak lineage. Personally I think at the very least you need to put your signal in thru a proper DAC. It will make all the difference.
Thanks again for your kind feedback. I won't pretend to be an expert on DACs and whatnot, but I appreciate the info. That said, these recordings are revisions of previously recorded audio and they are what they are. I'm also not sure if the inclusion of my pre-amp should factor into it all, since I've just read online that folks tend to debate between the inherent values of pre-amps vs. DAC. But again, I'm not the guy to talk to about that, so I'm going to politely bow out of it for now. :oops:

Still, I hope folks enjoy the rips either way... :?
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

You need both a pre-amp and a DAC so it's not a one versus other situation. Some DACs that are aimed at turntable use have one built in.
Vee-Jay

Post by Vee-Jay »

Hey, Gang -

Given the recent feedback in this thread regarding content quality, :oops: I thought it might be valuable to solicit your thoughts. Would you prefer that I continue this series of releases or simply abandon the project?

As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated! :)
inglis

Post by inglis »

I have your previous set and would welcome the chance to have an update.
Thank you for being willing to share
micktanner

Post by micktanner »

Vee-Jay wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:25 am Hey, Gang -

Given the recent feedback in this thread regarding content quality, :oops: I thought it might be valuable to solicit your thoughts. Would you prefer that I continue this series of releases or simply abandon the project?

Carry on Vee-Jay, please carry on! If anything they sound great for Capitol recordings, hell these recordings weren't made with audiophile enthusiasts in mind to begin with!
micktanner

Post by micktanner »

And they are...'Very Clean', you know. ;)
mitchellmichael

Post by mitchellmichael »

You’re not working for Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs so, keep going and thank you for sharing!

Cheers
Mike
Cheers
Mike
MrP

Post by MrP »

the decision to continue is yours and nobody else
if you enjoy doing it and you desire to do it, you should continue
if that is not the case.....

i doubt there has ever been a needle drop which was not criticized by someone at some point

powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Vee-Jay, I believe it’s a worthy endeavor— I encourage you to keep on keeping on!
— Keith
—Keith
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

I would urge you to invest in an external DAC and re-rip them thru that. They will sound like they should and can. That would make this a worthy project. We need good rips of US albums...you don't need to be Pbthal but you can't just rip straight to an inboard soundcard and expect it to sound right. And resharing these rips done that way in 24bit...why? Pointless. Realtek captures at 16/44 or 16/48. Setting to anything else and it is just padding out so what you get is actually pseudo-hires.

I used the word invest but you don't need to be talking big bucks. I've just spotted an entry level DAC on US eBay for $22. I will get around to replying to your last private message later and point you to it and other options.