Harry And His Box Set (V1, 2, 7, 10, 12, 15, 14 update.)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
dmh84

Re: The Beatles And Harry At The Beeb

Post by dmh84 »

"Brian Epstien's Greatest Scarves" made me actually lol!

("The Jane Asher Workout Video" is also quite special!)
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

Thank you M'Lord for the latest AWESOME "Harry" share ....
ruedabeat

Post by ruedabeat »

massimo wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:38 pm Thank you so much Lord Reith!!!
It's unbelievable to listen to these songs, you did an incredible job, the sound quality is really amazing!!!
Back in 1994 when I did all the work for the Great Dane box, trying to recover all the available tracks in the best possible quality, I would never think that such a quality could be reached.
And for me, having been in the BEEB world for so many years, it's an incredible joy to listen to the tracks now, in this quality, and so complete!.
Thank you and have a great 2024!
Massimo
Legendary BBC Box, I still love it. Thanks a lot! :geek:
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

dmh84 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:07 pm "Brian Epstien's Greatest Scarves" made me actually lol!
Yes, there was a mutual admiration between The Beatles and Brian. For Brian, it was "the trousers" that held the appeal. For The Beatles, it was Brian's collection of designer scarves. Pop music history would have been completely changed without these two simple items of clothing!

Thanks to all who are continuing to follow and comment on the series. I've tried to put in extra stuff but I'm afraid the well has run dry now so the rest will just be rebadged versions of the old volumes with new covers and tags. Frankly one of the things that most astounds me is how many of the post-1965 chat items we have. They are not really things you would have expected people at home to tape. I mean, random little things like Ringo's Christmas appeal for the blind in 1969 warm my heart. Who taped that? Whoever it was with their little radio and cassette recorder, thankyou. When you look at all the interviews The Beatles gave, the BBC ones are consistently the best and I'm so glad that we have all these and that the story doesn't just end in 1965. In fact, given that the BBC literally wiped everything The Beatles ever recorded for them it's hard to believe that so much of it survives in some form. When you start to think hard about it and realise that these things were just on the radio for the blink of an eye and then gone again... well, it's nothing short of miraculous.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

burningfool wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:59 pm Thanks also for the revised and annotated Lewisohn article ("Catalog Of BBC Recording") that you included with HAHB 18. You have provided a wealth of detail about the sessions
The donkey work was all done by others but I'm glad to get the info out there. It isn't really documented anywhere in particular but rather scattered over hundreds of web pages and books. At least it's all in one place now.
dmh84

Post by dmh84 »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:14 pm
dmh84 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:07 pm "Brian Epstien's Greatest Scarves" made me actually lol!
Yes, there was a mutual admiration between The Beatles and Brian. For Brian, it was "the trousers" that held the appeal. For The Beatles, it was Brian's collection of designer scarves. Pop music history would have been completely changed without these two simple items of clothing!

Thanks to all who are continuing to follow and comment on the series. I've tried to put in extra stuff but I'm afraid the well has run dry now so the rest will just be rebadged versions of the old volumes with new covers and tags. Frankly one of the things that most astounds me is how many of the post-1965 chat items we have. They are not really things you would have expected people at home to tape. I mean, random little things like Ringo's Christmas appeal for the blind in 1969 warm my heart. Who taped that? Whoever it was with their little radio and cassette recorder, thankyou. When you look at all the interviews The Beatles gave, the BBC ones are consistently the best and I'm so glad that we have all these and that the story doesn't just end in 1965. In fact, given that the BBC literally wiped everything The Beatles ever recorded for them it's hard to believe that so much of it survives in some form. When you start to think hard about it and realise that these things were just on the radio for the blink of an eye and then gone again... well, it's nothing short of miraculous.
That's the best-worded testament to why this series is so important to all of us. Thanks to you--with your words!
applebonkerz

Post by applebonkerz »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:03 pm [The donkey work was all done by others but I'm glad to get the info out there. It isn't really documented anywhere in particular but rather scattered over hundreds of web pages and books. At least it's all in one place now.
That must make you the prize-winning race horse in the analogy of equidae. Your efforts and expertise bringing us all-things BBC -- info and recordings -- in the best quality possible is astounding. Deepest thanks to you, sir.
JoeWadley

Post by JoeWadley »

Thank you for this series. I did not expect, at this late date, such a major update to the BBC collection. I bought the Broadcasts LP when it came out, and it was such a revelation. The journey from there to here, where we have almost every show, most of them complete, and most of them sounding good, is amazing. Thanks to you and all the fans who recorded, collected and compiled it over the years.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Thanks so much guys. I do my best.

Here are some better copies of the Ringo/Brian chat:
laughing.jpg
laughing.jpg (445.75 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
laughing2.jpg
laughing2.jpg (524.17 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
And here's one of my favourite BBC photos of all. Paul tearing into Long Tally Sally:
laughing3.jpg
laughing3.jpg (452.55 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
I'm going to make a slideshow of all the BBC photos, add some audio and include it in one of the volumes.
TELEGRAM SAM

Post by TELEGRAM SAM »

Excellant! Great photographs. Your slideshow idea sounds great! Many thanks.