DRY BONNIE (Lies Under The Reverb)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
georgefromhenley

Re: DRY BONNIE (Lies Under The Reverb)

Post by georgefromhenley »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:38 am
alphabeatles wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:28 pm As far as I can quickly recall, it seems Hamburg and Decca were the last of the Beatles as a doo-wop group... You Know My Name might be a loose exception.
Don't forget I'm Down!
Much2Much wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:03 am This is brilliant LR. I can see you working your magic on all these Polydor recordings - that would be Fantastic!
I'll try.
georgefromhenley wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:09 amThe V72 was something the engineer Hinze added to the vocal microphone but no one knows anymore what this actually was. It could have been an echo effect - or something else.
It's a pre-amp made by Telefunken. It didn't have any reverb though. The only artificial reverb in those days was plate or spring reverb which aren't like the reverb on the session (think of the end Ohhhs on Thankyou Girl). That sounds like a completely natural reverb to me like the type used often on Beatles sessions and at the BBC. They'd just section off a part of the premises and set up a speaker and microphone and it needn't have been the basement. When RCA made their first Elvis recordings, they achieved the copious reverb by miking up a speaker in a stairwell!
Yes a concerted pre amp to add effects to the vocals according to the collegues.
Sheldi

Re: DRY BONNIE (Lies Under The Reverb)

Post by Sheldi »

Thank you, I've bookmarked that link ... going to be an Xmas pressie :-)
georgefromhenley wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:44 pm
Sheldi wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:09 pm
georgefromhenley wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:31 pm I'd love to hear "Why" - dry. I assume the prefect harmonies of JPG come out brilliantly.

Yes - it sounds completely different. Very cool. Thanks.

In my book I pointed out that there were two possibilitys to archive the echo - at the mixing desk in the post production and through the echo chamber during the recording - we will never know what happened. I assumed the curtains were drawn close - the echo of the school hall wasnt used.

On the recording are 2 guitars, bass + drums - and backing by John, Paul and George.
What's your book called George?
The book is called "The Beatles Mach Schau in Hamburg" - last copies here: www.apcor.net