A Purdie Girl Is Like A Melody

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Lord Reith

Re: A Purdie Girl Is Like A Melody

Post by Lord Reith »

Muzair wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:16 am Thankfully Bernard sends his bullshit out his mouth and not out through his drums...
What a disturbing mental image... :lol:
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

In drama and literature, the word is MOTIVE!
Everywhere else, it's called Money...Capital!
Ba Ba Black sheep...have you any wool?
Spinning yarn is just a form of self esteem ballast.
Nobody drummed for Ringo!(Except McCartney...ahem).
Would EMI actually allow Brian Epstein to touch a multi-track tape?
And if multi track tapes of Tony Sheridan songs made it to England or America, I would be equally impressed!
But, would Ringo be able to save this album?
NO! There's only one thing this album ever needed...
a free pack of Preludin!
Thank you, Lord Reith!
KC
thewarpedvinyljunkie

Post by thewarpedvinyljunkie »

Well, Jimmy Nicol, but not in the studio.

You may send my free pack of Preludin c/o Perry Como.
The Warped Vinyl Junkie

"He never wore his shoes; we all knew he was dead."
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I honestly don't think they could have made it that big with any other drummer. Ringo was a complete one-off as a drummer. I think the reason he was so good for The Beatles is because he never had an ego. He appreciated that he was in the company of at least two musical geniuses and that their input would be invaluable. Paul once said that there was never a drum break Ringo did on record where the others didn't have some input. So it was a combination of Ringo's great feel for tempo and rhythm, plus his unusual way of playing, plus his brains trust in the background feeding him valuable input on how the drums should sound and what he should play. Most drummers won't listen to anybody else. Perhaps it's because they are hard to find, but they rarely take advice and when they do it's under sufferance. Pete was one of those.

I also think that as with everything else it was their lack of knowledge about how drums "should" sound and "should" be played that led to The Beatles having such a unique drum sound. I have never heard any tribute band get that sound, ever. Not even close. It is as unique and unrepeatable as John's voice.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:44 pm I honestly don't think they could have made it that big with any other drummer. Ringo was a complete one-off as a drummer. I think the reason he was so good for The Beatles is because he never had an ego.
I agree with you. Ringo doesn't need to be flamboyant because his instincts are purely Beatle! He has the same gift as the other three. There is an economy to the musical sensibilities that delivers more taste with less virtuosity and so the lyrics get to say more in subtle catchy ways. Admittedly, the most clever sounds come when the four parts are unassuming individually. Assembled, they reveal complementary nuance that is unmistakable and unique. Beatles music was even psychedelic before the genre was born. Rhythm, meter, rhyme, tempo, broken rhythm, counter melody, complex harmonies, simple arrangement...and, more...and ALWAYS leading the way is Ringo. I have never heard him talk about himself. When you watch him, you know that he is only a conduit and the drumming comes through him. His stuff is never late. Never show-boat. Never complicated. It is a very classy technique that is perfect for the Beatles. NOBODY else would have worked. Only Ringo was in The Beatles' class!
A perfect piece of Ringo craftsmanship occurs on She Said She Said. Wicked and perfect!
Starr quality...(Trivia: We hear about Ringo being a South paw...yet in Magic Christian, he signs the adoption papers with the NORTHERN hand!)
KC