TAXMAN (+ new alt mix)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
ruedabeat

Re: TAXMAN (+ new alt mix)

Post by ruedabeat »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:48 am
Josh wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:25 am :lol: I miss certain aspects of 1999, but 33.4 kbps dialup isn't one of them.
Just even hearing the sound of the modem in old programmes or movies makes me break out in hives. That sound was specially created to torture and savage the bared nerves of early internet adopters.

I can remember downloading a song from napster for the first time. I thought it was absolutely amazing that I could get this one song over a telephone line, and it only took all night!

How funny is that. The past is another country - they do things different there.
Funny memories my Lord. I used to have my PC downloading a DVD for days. :shock: Those were the times of the Torrents.

As a joke, a few years ago I used to have that old sound of the modem as a Ring tone, maybe 2 or 3 days as much, boring. :mrgreen:

There you are, Mono Dry Mix of the old modem sounds: hxxps://we.tl/t-DySsQONjAX :lol:
robbmacc

Post by robbmacc »

Still slightly off-topic:

I don't have dial-up, but live out in the country (NE Wisconsin, USA), and to this day have to download DVDs overnight.

Sigh.

Someday we'll be updated. In the meantime, it's still worth it: my wife and I enjoy watching deer, wild turkeys, and sometimes black bears in our front yard; somedays the only car that comes down our road is the mailperson; no streetlights--so when it's dark, it's DARK; we hike, kayak, snowshoe, swim, etc, and are only an hour away from a big city (Green Bay, home of the Packers, who will visiting you UK folks on Oct 9).
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Engonoceras wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:01 pm That's wild with the reversed guitar solo.
Careful. Giles might steal that idea for his next "Love" mixes
Concur!
The workmanship might be haphazard but the instincts are on the mark.
We want Giles to broaden his diversity. If that has to be done on credit, I would not cry foul!
He could learn from this forum. That version of Taxman is good enough to include in SDE!
Much of REVOLVER might not have been verified against alternative ideas. The amazing thing is that Lord Reith was able to isolate the solo. The Beatles might have planned to reverse it but if it was recorded onto a track as a reduction mix and they liked it, it may never have been attempted. That is more than enough reasons to let this version stand on its own merit! But, it's not on the SDE list of tracks. How could it be?
Giles, come and get it. It may be something they might have planned to check...BUT, more importantly...ALL fans deserved to hear it because it was never attempted. It was that kind of decision and when they heard the playback, it was already good enough, so it was never explored. Lord Reith's Taxman with reversed lead guitar solo is righteous.
Thank you Lord Reith and Thanks Engonoceras.
Thank you, Giles.
KC
rfwood1

Post by rfwood1 »

Nice! It really does sound cool! Thanx much, LR!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it. The thing which surprised me a little is just how LIMITED the drums are. I mean, they are squashed to death. It reminds me of when I remixed the mogg of Revolution, and to get the same sound as the single I had to hard limit the drums and bass to something like -12db. Don't let anyone tell you that loudification was invented in the 90s. It was alive and well in the 60s!
robbmacc wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:20 pm Still slightly off-topic:

I don't have dial-up, but live out in the country (NE Wisconsin, USA), and to this day have to download DVDs overnight.

Sigh.

Someday we'll be updated.
There's no satellite access or anything like that? Maybe 4G?
In the meantime, it's still worth it: my wife and I enjoy watching deer, wild turkeys, and sometimes black bears in our front yard; somedays the only car that comes down our road is the mailperson; no streetlights--so when it's dark, it's DARK
Woah... BEARS? Are you kidding me? That is scary stuff. At least I can avoid sharks by not swimming in the sea, but if I saw a bear in my front yard then I think I'd literally crap my pants. I did see a fox one night, but he was more scared of me than me of him.

As for the dark... I remember about 20 years ago i was at someone's house for the first time, in an unfamiliar neighbourhood. It was night by the time I left, but because their house was on stilts in a gully you couldn't see the street from the house. So I bad goodbye and walked up this long flight of steps to where the road was... or was supposed to be. There must have been a power failure and it was BLACK. I mean, like, total black. It must have been a moonless night too. I started walking up the hill, thinking that round the next corner there would surely be some kind of street light, house light or a shop. Nothing. It went on and on and got darker and darker until I literally couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I have never experienced darkness like that before. Every step forward was like walking off a precipice, not knowing what was in front of me. At one point a sliver of light came from somewhere and I glimpsed a flight of steps leading upwards. Still with no real idea of where I was going, I decided that at least if I followed the steps it would lead me SOMEWHERE. Eventually, after nearly tripping and breaking my neck three or four times, I reached the top of these stairs and... LIGHT! It was like a divine miracle: a row of houses with their front rooms lit up. So i then managed to find my way back to the main road, but wow was that a scary experience. I just wish I'd owned a mobile phone at the time! :lol:
robbmacc

Post by robbmacc »

The bears are only a problem when the sows have cubs...don't get between a mom and her kids! Maybe sometime I'll put some pics on Misc. or New Members thread.

The darkness is cool because we're far enough North to occasionally see the Aurora Borealis. And meteor showers and satellites.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

robbmacc wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:07 pm
The darkness is cool because we're far enough North to occasionally see the Aurora Borealis. And meteor showers and satellites.
Oh now I'm jealous. Stayed up all night one day in 1985 to see Halley's Comet. What a frigging letdown that was! :lol:
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Jokerman

Post by Jokerman »

Sorry - missed the LR posts (apart from the very last one). Can someone please re-up? Really appreciated!
Patrick Healy

Re: TAXMAN (+ more re-up)

Post by Patrick Healy »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:21 am You can just use the audacity effect "change tempo" to make Rain faster if you want without changing the key.
What's the speed multiplier in Audacity to change the tempo and pitch to the original (in the 'change speed' option)?
Also, LR, have you ever considered making a 'just drums and bass' version of Rain, like the 'sans guitars' without the vocals?
If the demixing technology is capable then it would be amazing to hear what the bass is playing.
(And, of course, then I could slap a rap vocal over the top like you 'suggested' :lol: )
Lord Reith

Re: TAXMAN (+ more re-up)

Post by Lord Reith »

Patrick Healy wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:27 pm What's the speed multiplier in Audacity to change the tempo and pitch to the original (in the 'change speed' option)?
Also, LR, have you ever considered making a 'just drums and bass' version of Rain, like the 'sans guitars' without the vocals?
If the demixing technology is capable then it would be amazing to hear what the bass is playing.
(And, of course, then I could slap a rap vocal over the top like you 'suggested' :lol: )
No, but it's a good idea. Unfortunately I have no upload capabilities at the moment.
Jokerman wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:18 am Sorry - missed the LR posts (apart from the very last one). Can someone please re-up? Really appreciated!
Kwai Chang re-uped them the other day and I put the link in the first post.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene