TAXMAN (+ new alt mix)

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Lord Reith

Re: TAXMAN (+ more re-up)

Post by Lord Reith »

You can just use the audacity effect "change tempo" to make Rain faster if you want without changing the key.

In the pre-digital days there was some monstrous device the name of which escapes me (a tempophon or something) which consisted of a playback head mounted on a spinning drum that somehow would engage with the tape in such a way that the tempo would be changed but not the pitch. But i doubt The Beatles ever had access to that.

I'm surprised they never thought of singing a vocal phonetically and melodically backward while the tape runs in reverse. You then play back the tape in the usual direction and you get a weird other-worldy voice (anyone who remembers the "Red Room" in Twin Peaks... they used this trick for the midget's lines).

So "When the Rain comes" would be sung "semuc nayyr uht nairw" with the melody backwards too, then played back forwards to be heard with the usual words and melody.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:21 am You can just use the audacity effect "change tempo" to make Rain faster if you want without changing the key.

In the pre-digital days there was some monstrous device the name of which escapes me (a tempophon or something) which consisted of a playback head mounted on a spinning drum that somehow would engage with the tape in such a way that the tempo would be changed but not the pitch. But i doubt The Beatles ever had access to that.

I'm surprised they never thought of singing a vocal phonetically and melodically backward while the tape runs in reverse. You then play back the tape in the usual direction and you get a weird other-worldy voice (anyone who remembers the "Red Room" in Twin Peaks... they used this trick for the midget's lines).

So "When the Rain comes" would be sung "semuc nayyr uht nairw" with the melody backwards too, then played back forwards to be heard with the usual words and melody.
I remember several John's interview (it could be easy to find these interviews) were he was joking about his ability to sing backwards. Of course it was gibberish; just like singing in French, or his Spanish-like lyrics for "Sun King". He said he was good in speaking like if this was backwards but never intended to sing backwards.
Of course, with David Lynch's movie "Fire Walks With Me" and Twin Peaks, this effect adds to strangeness to say the least of David Lynch's tormented world.
So, I could be wrong, but I think that John never intended to sing backward then reverse. I don't remember a single Beatles song (or solo song) where this effect would have been used. Tape backwards, sure; fake gibberish backwards singing, yeah, but not that.

Yesterday I was listening to J.Hendrix "Love or Confusion" song. This one is amazing and this has some kind of guitar-texture sound which reminds me "Rain" especially during the verses and the bass-line.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

The brass tax:
About that count-in at the beginning of REVOLVER...
I also think it was a fully intentional salute to the "One-Two-Three-FAWWW"
beginning of the Please Please Me album.
But it is, as discussed, the price paid to be The Beatles, as well!
That much, is undeniable!
KC
ruedabeat

Post by ruedabeat »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:10 am I'm really getting to the point where I want to tear what remains of my rapidly dwindling hair out when I keep seeing people on other forums (not here of course, because we are well-informed! :D ) keep saying things like...

"Can Taxman really be remixed?"
"The drums and guitars and bass are locked on one track!"
"It'll just be tambourine on one side"
"It can't be done without MAL"
"The technology isn't good enough yet!"
They say a picture says a thousand words, so here is a picture in sound...
UPDATE: revised version + extra tracks
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4472&p=65290#p65290
and two more:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4472&p=65378#p65378
Download link for both: https://tinyurl.com/expiro-27th-aug

"Can Taxman really be remixed?"

I read this: https://variety.com/2022/music/news/bea ... 235351400/ where they talk about Taxman Original Mix and The Beatles' classic album Revolver that will be the next of the band’s albums to be remixed and released as a boxed set.

All that I can say is: "You should hear LORD REITH remixes(work)".

PS. NO other Master than Lord Reith, the one and only !!! :shock: :geek: (sorry Giles !) 8-)
Lord Reith

Re: TAXMAN (+ new alt mix)

Post by Lord Reith »

While we wait for a Revolver SDE, here's a stripped-down mix of Taxman with a surprise twist...

https://tinyurl.com/expires-sept-3rd

Does John really sing "If you drive a cock"? :?
Last edited by Lord Reith on Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:37 amDoes John really sing "If you drive a cock"? :?
"If you drive a ca-car" ("ca-ca" with the British accent) maybe, which is something different but loosely related.

BTW, normalize the very end of your mix to hear some instrument clunkiness in the fade.

Now, Paul's "With A Little Luck" (first line) sounds rather fishy...
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

This link has already expired.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
ennolenno

Post by ennolenno »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:37 am While we wait for a Revolver SDE, here's a stripped-down mix of Taxman with a surprise twist...
Oh, what a nice upside down guitar twist. Thank you.
Patrick Healy

Re: TAXMAN (revised mix + Rain + more)

Post by Patrick Healy »

Engonoceras wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:23 am We can play "spot the open fader" because every SDE remix has at least a couple tracks with a little something extra not meant to be heard. How generous of Master Giles.
Can you provide any examples of that? Never noticed that before.
progdude

Post by progdude »

Dear Lord R. I don't know how you do it Your Mixes Sound Cleaner than the Official releases Many Thanks