Yellow Sub Film Questions

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
FestVideoRoom

Re: Yellow Sub Film Questions

Post by FestVideoRoom »

The DVD & subsequent BD (along with the original DVD's isolated score option) uses a combination of audio from the EMI sessions and whatever needed to be salvaged from the original in order to create a complete stereo/multichannel soundtrack. It's not perfect but it's pretty good. That said, the original film score has never to my knowledge turned up anywhere other than the original film soundtrack.

It might also be noted that Martin returned to the Submarine soundtrack music at least twice in his career: in the mid-1970s for his album Beatles To Bond And Bach (which also includes his version of Bach's Air on the G String which can be heard quoted in the film during the Sea of Monsters "exploding cigar" sequence) and again in 1998 for his album "In My Life" (the rock drums on March of the Meanies really kicks it quite nicely!). If memory serves, there's also a British TV special that contains a segment of Martin conducting some of the music.

S.
dentonmmm

Post by dentonmmm »

FestVideoRoom - (I hope I got that right)

Thank you for all the insight!!!

So if I am correct in everything I've read.

Between the "Original US print" and the Released DVD/BR. They cover basically everything.

I agree with whomever said that the IMDB info is a mish-mash of jumble nonsense.

I really appreciate everyone helping me with my query and taking time to explain it in detail.

Thank you.
FestVideoRoom

Post by FestVideoRoom »

dentonmmm wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:57 am FestVideoRoom - (I hope I got that right)
You did, and you're correct... although there are a few bits one would need the mostly crappy 1999 DVD release for:

a) the isolated George Martin score track (Frankensteined though it may be)
b) the untampered, unrestored theatrical trailer (the one on the more recent releases has been reassembled using footage from the restored film and is not 100% accurate as the original trailer featured some brief footage not seen in the finished film)

S :)
dentonmmm

Post by dentonmmm »

FestVideoRoom wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:47 pm
dentonmmm wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:57 am FestVideoRoom - (I hope I got that right)
You did, and you're correct... although there are a few bits one would need the mostly crappy 1999 DVD release for:

a) the isolated George Martin score track (Frankensteined though it may be)
b) the untampered, unrestored theatrical trailer (the one on the more recent releases has been reassembled using footage from the restored film and is not 100% accurate as the original trailer featured some brief footage not seen in the finished film)

S :)
Gotcha!!! Thank you again!!!