Has anyone heard the Cavern ‘Misery’ recording from Evolver 63 yet?

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Lord Reith

Re: Has anyone heard the Cavern ‘Misery’ recording from Evolver 63 yet?

Post by Lord Reith »

jgjohnson wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:29 pmIf it was an actual Beatles or McCartney/ Lennon demo that was played, then it exists and that is certainly great news. Did you get any details about the recording, other than it had drums?
Only that the quality was very rough and he thought it sounded like Pete Best. Also that the singer sounded like Paul.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
hallucalation

Post by hallucalation »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:47 am
jgjohnson wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:29 pmIf it was an actual Beatles or McCartney/ Lennon demo that was played, then it exists and that is certainly great news. Did you get any details about the recording, other than it had drums?
Only that the quality was very rough and he thought it sounded like Pete Best. Also that the singer sounded like Paul.
I'm sure that was a fake. I know for a fact that "Tip.." is not among those Cavern acetates.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

hallucalation wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:26 am I'm sure that was a fake. I know for a fact that "Tip.." is not among those Cavern acetates.
I was only speculating it was connected. This was 30 years ago and it was not a Beatles programme, so there is little likelihood it was a fake. Unknown recordings do exist out there, witness the EMI House disc that suddenly appeared out of nowhere.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Well you were right, I went to Evolver 63 yesterday, which still was really good but there was no mention of the Misery recording from the Cavern. It was there in one of the folders as an .mp4 file. I saw it as Mark was browsing his laptop!
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
jgjohnson

Post by jgjohnson »

I don’t think Pete Best would be the drummer on this demo. I asked him specifically about this song, if he ever did this when he was a Beatle, and he said no.
Beatlologists think that this song was written by Paul at the end of August or very beginning September 1962, as a piece to record at the upcoming EMI recording session on September 4th. Supposedly Paul introduced it to the rest of the band at the rehearsal at the Cavern on September 3rd.
There is no documentation as to whether it was attempted at the September 4th session or the September 11th session, but it was not chosen as one of the songs to record.
Lewisohn says that several attempts at recording Tip Of My Tongue were made at the November 26 Session when they recorded, Pease Please Me and Ask Me Why, but they gave up.
According to the book, “The Songs the Beatles Gave Away” by Colin Hall, the Beatles then performed it as part of their live set. Brian Epstein asked for a song for Tommy Quicky, and Paul gave him Tip of My Tongue, saying later that they could never get it to work.
Tommy Quickly recorded it on July 8th, 1963. If a demo was made, it may have been made for this recording session, either as a reference for the musicians, or a publishing demo for Dick James.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

jgjohnson wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:29 pm
I don’t think Pete Best would be the drummer on this demo. I asked him specifically about this song, if he ever did this when he was a Beatle, and he said no.
Beatlologists think that this song was written by Paul at the end of August or very beginning September 1962, as a piece to record at the upcoming EMI recording session on September 4th. Supposedly Paul introduced it to the rest of the band at the rehearsal at the Cavern on September 3rd.
There is no documentation as to whether it was attempted at the September 4th session or the September 11th session, but it was not chosen as one of the songs to record.
Lewisohn says that several attempts at recording Tip Of My Tongue were made at the November 26 Session when they recorded, Pease Please Me and Ask Me Why, but they gave up.
According to the book, “The Songs the Beatles Gave Away” by Colin Hall, the Beatles then performed it as part of their live set. Brian Epstein asked for a song for Tommy Quicky, and Paul gave him Tip of My Tongue, saying later that they could never get it to work.
Tommy Quickly recorded it on July 8th, 1963. If a demo was made, it may have been made for this recording session, either as a reference for the musicians, or a publishing demo for Dick James.
I doubt it was Pete Best too. The circumstances it was played in was an interview with a jazz guy who had once had some association with Tommy Quickly. So I'm guessing he had been given a disc or tape and had kept it. But to this day, not a trace of it. As Stowe showed us though, the most incredible things can simply be sitting in someone's drawer, unbeknownst to the world.
jgjohnson

Post by jgjohnson »

Well thank you Lord for letting us know about this recording. It certainly sounds like the real thing. The fact that this musician allowed it to be played on the radio is a good thing too. He wanted others to hear it. Now if it would only turn up!
inacastyetagain

Post by inacastyetagain »

Thank you so much for this wonderful share!
batdude98

Post by batdude98 »

Could anyone re-share this please? I missed it...
Jokerman

Post by Jokerman »

I missed this as well - can someone please re-up?