EVOLVER

Fan created remixes and rare variations
Suzy Parlourphone

Re: EVOLVER (Grow Old With Me Version 2)

Post by Suzy Parlourphone »

These are great! Thank you for your wonderful work!

Does anyone else hear a sort of embryonic little snippet of this song in the Beatles' 1966 Christmas album? The piano figure is very similar and the chords are almost the same in the "Orowainya, orowainya" part. Different melody though.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Thankyou Beatlegdudes. Your assistance and encouragement is most valued.
Suzy Parlourphone wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:07 pm Does anyone else hear a sort of embryonic little snippet of this song in the Beatles' 1966 Christmas album? The piano figure is very similar and the chords are almost the same in the "Orowainya, orowainya" part. Different melody though.
Oh yeah, there is a slight similarity isn't there. Maybe John was the one playing piano on Oriwayinya.

Part of the melody of Grow Old With Me is likely from Beethoven's Pathetique piano sonata. John had previously used part of another sonata by the titan of German music, Moonlight, in backwards form in Because.

Have a listen in particular to the melody at about 9 seconds: https://tinyurl.com/werde-mit-mir-alt
Rave O Lucien wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:58 pm This sounds like it. From an untagged misterclaudel folder.
RESULT! Excellent. And the first demo is in stereo already, so with the extracted overdubs this will be awesome. Can't wait to get my teeth into this. You guys are a mine of knowledge and assistance.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Suzy Parlourphone

Post by Suzy Parlourphone »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:24 am
Suzy Parlourphone wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:07 pm Does anyone else hear a sort of embryonic little snippet of this song in the Beatles' 1966 Christmas album? The piano figure is very similar and the chords are almost the same in the "Orowainya, orowainya" part. Different melody though.
Oh yeah, there is a slight similarity isn't there. Maybe John was the one playing piano on Oriwayinya.

Part of the melody of Grow Old With Me is likely from Beethoven's Pathetique piano sonata. John had previously used part of another sonata by the titan of German music, Moonlight, in backwards form in Because.

Have a listen in particular to the melody at about 9 seconds: https://tinyurl.com/werde-mit-mir-alt
I love the Beethoven piano sonatas, maybe almost as much as I love his poems, and I've played both of those. I'm not sure I'm convinced about the Pathetique 2nd movt melody, not in a "My Sweet Lord" kind of way at least, but they are in the same key with a similar kind of vibe. Just looked at my Lennon sheet music anthology and they put the tempo at quarter note=83, which seems extremely specific. That would be very close to the sonata, though.

This is getting off-topic, but I was curious so I searched it and happened across this about a Billy Joel song where he just straight-up uses that piece of music nearly as-is for the chorus of "This Night" (he does credit Beethoven at least). https://tinyurl.com/7tz3m674
RubberSolof

Re: EVOLVER (Grow Old With Me)

Post by RubberSolof »

We're getting somewhere, but I still need the original undubbed performance of "04 Beautiful Boy (Amplified Acoustic Guitar)". The one called "15 Beautiful Boy (Acoustic Guitar)" is a different take. The undubbed version of track 04 should end with the words "darling boy" and run for at least 4 minutes.

LR:

I think this may be what you're looking for I hope!!

04 Beautiful Boy (amplified acoustic guitar)- John Lennon - Living On Borrowed Time (RMW HMC)

hXXps://we.tl/t-F4besxnqmr
AgentYaroslav007

Post by AgentYaroslav007 »

Lord Reith, are you planning to make the best source home demo Goodbye (not from Super Deluxe Abbey Road) in stereo?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

AgentYaroslav007 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:08 am Lord Reith, are you planning to make the best source home demo Goodbye (not from Super Deluxe Abbey Road) in stereo?
I wasn't, but I might now you've suggested it.
RubberSolof wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:46 am LR:
I think this may be what you're looking for I hope!!
Thanks Mike but Rave beat you to it. :| :|
Suzy Parlourphone wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:47 am This is getting off-topic, but I was curious so I searched it and happened across this about a Billy Joel song where he just straight-up uses that piece of music nearly as-is for the chorus of "This Night" (he does credit Beethoven at least). https://tinyurl.com/7tz3m674
Yeah, there's no law to stop you taking an out of copyright composition and calling it yours. It's something a lot of people have done, taking a forgotten song and giving it new words.
Lord Reith

Re: EVOLVER (Beautiful Boy)

Post by Lord Reith »

Okay here's the stereo demix of the Beautiful Boy demo. Like with Woman, I much prefer this to the studio recording. Those studio musicians he used were really jaded if you ask me. No magic there at all.

With this one John recorded himself playing guitar and singing while Fred Seaman banged a bongo drum. Unusually he was recording in stereo, but I guess by that time stereo cassette recorders were much more common. He then recorded over to another mono machine with the stereo tape playing in the background and they added another John vocal, some more guitar work and Fred playing what sounds like a woodblock this time.

In this demix John's guitar is in the centre but has the stereo room ambience, the bongo is far left, the first vocal is towards the left, the second vocal is towards the right, and the extra guitar and wood block is far right. Because the sound of the first tape being captured by the microphone is gone, the quality is also a lot nicer.

https://tinyurl.com/expires-july-4th Image

Note: people who've been away over the weekend, I have been busy so check the first page for anything you might have missed.
RunoutGroove

Post by RunoutGroove »

Thanks LR. Jenny & Ralph scored 300!
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

Thank you for the latest....boy this is one long CD :D
Rave O Lucien

Post by Rave O Lucien »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:40 am Okay here's the stereo demix of the Beautiful Boy demo. Like with Woman, I much prefer this to the studio recording. Those studio musicians he used were really jaded if you ask me. No magic there at all.
I agree. These redux demos are more interesting, and possess a charm that the studio versions lack. Thank you!
When you've got it, jump up! ~ John Lennon