Usenet postings

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Lon Chaney III

Usenet postings

Post by Lon Chaney III »

There's a lot of uploads to sites that have only a weeks availability. Some get re-upped but still for just a week. I understand why but this is where usenet can be of help. Once stuff is posted, it stays and depending on the usenet service, it can hang around for 10-15 years. There is a Beatles lossless group that would be perfect. However, the drawback is that the usenet services are not free and can cost over $10 a month depending on upload volume. I would imagine that for the kind of volume uploaded by people here, one of the low-cost $6-$7 selections would be OK. Plus of course it makes the other Beatles groups content available, as well as all the other music groups.

I've used usenet for something like 37 years now, well before web pages. Once it ruled the waves but despite all the uptake of webpages since there is still a lot of material on usenet and being uploaded to it.

It's just a thought. May not be practical here.

PS: Certain artists have a ton of unofficial releases i.e. Dylan, Springsteen, the Stones, Pink Floyd for example.
AppleScruff

Re: Usenet postings

Post by AppleScruff »

I agree 100% Usenet groups are tremendous places. I used to use it around 2006-8 and for $10-15 per month is well worth the price. Alt.binaries.beatles was always my first daily stop and the members there helped start my FAB dvd addiction. Not visited in a long time, but I may have to check out if the same old posters are still there and sharing. The Blonde Babe and Klark Kent were always very active when I was there and always very helpful with filling requests for sought after titles. I'm surprised that I've not seen much talk on here about the groups, mind you, when I was on usenet I only used the bootleg zone for covers, I wasn't into forums so I didn't have a clue that the people there were all sharing titles just like I was on usenet.
AKA Natural_Mystery
JPM7756

Post by JPM7756 »

I've always been curious about Usenet but I was told that whatever is there can usually be found on the web. Not sure how accurate that is.
BeatleG

Post by BeatleG »

I've used usnet newsgroups since the late 90s I think, about the time Napster launched. I remember how amazing it was to share in that fashion, beyond Beatles and other rock. I was getting a load of the doo-wop (the Ravens) from someone and the guy wrote that he was signing off Napster to spend his bandwidth in the newsgroups. I didn't know what that meant so I asked him and soon after took part in the joys of usenet groups. Anyway, I asked that guy to just stay on a little longer, excited to get his Ravens, something that was hard to even purchase in Florida. Still keeping my subscription (easynews) going, but not much for Beatles. The Beatles newsgroups seemed to dry up several years go, probably when this group got going. I wondered where everyone went and am glad I found this group. Thanks to all the up-loaders! I've tried to participate by posting comments, thanking posters, and such, thinking that most of those boot DVDs and CDs I squired everyone has by now or they've been replaced by upgrades and flac instead of mp3s. I'll look through them soon and see if I think something would be interesting to share with others.
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

never got onto Usenet groups my buddy did in late 90s then he & I started an MIRC group called MP3Beatles lasted up mid 2000s then i did webpage but had shut it down :(
Chris
Lon Chaney III

Post by Lon Chaney III »

I remember back in the late 80's, May Ping used to post in alt.rec.beatles (a text group). She would answer questions about John and also let us know what she was doing. Just general chat but it was a big, big deal to chat with her.
No Bozos

Post by No Bozos »

I remember when Francie Schwartz and Fred Seaman used to post to rec.music.beatles in the late 90s. They'd get into arguments with each other sometimes. It was amusing. I had a Giganews account for twenty plus years. I dropped it about a year ago due to too many incomplete files. It's like Giganews just quit caring about their service. I haven't bothered trying to find a replacement.
Lon Chaney III

Post by Lon Chaney III »

There you go, rec.music.beatles, nothing like what I put (memory isn't what is was). There some news servers around that are excellent and won't charge more than $10. I use Newshosting which is considered one of the best these days. Never seem to have a problem with it and it has somethimg like a 15 year retention. Many people have never tried usenet but just because it predates web pages doesn't mean it's crap. I find that with all the missing stuff on group downloads that Usenet tends to be my choice - particularly the alt.binaries.sounds.lossless.24bit group.
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Lon Chaney III wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:45 pm I remember back in the late 80's, May Ping used to post in alt.rec.beatles (a text group). She would answer questions about John and also let us know what she was doing. Just general chat but it was a big, big deal to chat with her.
i have May on facebook via a friend i talked her few time nice women
Chris
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

At least all of my jabbering is free and isolated...
---------> X <----------(where you are standing!)
...I don't have time to listen to everything so I read the forum...
and, my keyboard does the rest.
I can't believe I'm tolerated!
But, I, too, lead back to The Beatles!<-----(you can all thank me later...THE WHOLE WORLD is The Beatles despite the incorrect grammar!)
KC