What Is Considered The Ultimate Very Best Decca Auditon Issue ?

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
EdinSc

Re: What Is Considered The Ultimate Very Best Decca Auditon Issue ?

Post by EdinSc »

I don't think there's a better version of the Decca trax than this:

hXXps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bcuNI7_H2_iuLUi7nsCRVaNmAuvfWyoQ?usp=sharing
khundalini

Post by khundalini »

Krussell2021 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:35 pm I've often wondered if we've ever heard the first gen master of the Decca tape on any of the boots. Probably not. I've always thought that the odd noise in the gaps on The Sheik of Araby was added later as a joke. I wonder if that was added when the Decca staff used to listen to the tape at Christmas parties when the Beatles became famous, so the story goes. Who knows! Perhaps somebody here does!
So it sounds without the interjection:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiMiKxiVdVp8geEB4R2 ... w?e=d320qs
EdinSc

Post by EdinSc »

It's been documented, what you heard was Lennon injecting "Not half.." sort of meaning not half a chance the singer creeped into her tent. I spoke to Joe Pope about this myself after he'd issued the song on his Deccagone series. He confided he'd been bombarded with criticism that he'd tampered with the recording, which he didn't . You can also hear John say "not half, ya didn't" after a breakdown in the Please Please Me LP sessions.
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

Thank you for the shared recommendations .......
beatlesondvd

Post by beatlesondvd »

EdinSc wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:48 pm It's been documented, what you heard was Lennon injecting "Not half.." sort of meaning not half a chance the singer creeped into her tent. I spoke to Joe Pope about this myself after he'd issued the song on his Deccagone series. He confided he'd been bombarded with criticism that he'd tampered with the recording, which he didn't . You can also hear John say "not half, ya didn't" after a breakdown in the Please Please Me LP sessions.
I think John simply leaned in George's mic. I doubt there would have been time, or the inclination, for overdubbing onto what was, after all, simply an audition.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

beatlesondvd wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:34 am
EdinSc wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:48 pm It's been documented, what you heard was Lennon injecting "Not half.." sort of meaning not half a chance the singer creeped into her tent. I spoke to Joe Pope about this myself after he'd issued the song on his Deccagone series. He confided he'd been bombarded with criticism that he'd tampered with the recording, which he didn't . You can also hear John say "not half, ya didn't" after a breakdown in the Please Please Me LP sessions.
I think John simply leaned in George's mic. I doubt there would have been time, or the inclination, for overdubbing onto what was, after all, simply an audition.
I too thought it sounded odd when I first heard it back in 1983. I agree though, I think John leaned in, but a bit too far, making his interjection sound a bit too loud.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
EdinSc

Post by EdinSc »

agreed, and it wasn't too respectful of George.
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

EdinSc wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:48 pm It's been documented, what you heard was Lennon injecting "Not half.." sort of meaning not half a chance the singer creeped into her tent.
To be clear for people not familiar with the expression: 'not half' means 'a lot'. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... h/not-half
apesrfools

Post by apesrfools »

The best version is uncirculated ;)
Shears1971

Post by Shears1971 »

So, has there been a change in the track order for this session? The Complete Joe Pope tapes have the songs in a very different order to what all written sources have been saying for years... have I missed something??