Opinion: Should Cartoon Song Variations Count as a Variation?

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Kusaywa

Opinion: Should Cartoon Song Variations Count as a Variation?

Post by Kusaywa »

Noticing quite a few songs from The Beatles Cartoons have mostly the solos truncated from them. There may be other edits but these are the ones most obvious. Should Cartoon Song Variations Count as a Variation? After all, we count songs that have extended endings (A Hard Days Night Movie Version for example or even the German And I Love Her) Opinions please...
Caton4

Re: Opinion: Should Cartoon Song Variations Count as a Variation?

Post by Caton4 »

GOOD QUESTION !
jxdxbx

Post by jxdxbx »

I think there are plenty of examples of variations that were done without any input from actual Beatles, and the cartoons were fully official and legally authorized. So sure? Does the Beatles Movie Medley count?
moptophugger

Post by moptophugger »

Kusaywa wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:37 pm Noticing quite a few songs from The Beatles Cartoons have mostly the solos truncated from them. There may be other edits but these are the ones most obvious. Should Cartoon Song Variations Count as a Variation? After all, we count songs that have extended endings (A Hard Days Night Movie Version for example or even the German And I Love Her) Opinions please...
Interesting! I think it should, guess nobody booted those mixes as they were thought to be the same as the Capitol mixes (Incorrect!)
ksantus

Post by ksantus »

The sound quality is lacking isn't it?
I'd like to have the songs in truncated versions if anyone has them.
I have a few of the interludes from the cartoons.
Here ya go if you want them.

hXXps://we.tl/t-hFWuljuqyD
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

One thing to be noted is 60s tv would have been mono broadcasts. So most likely would have used a stereo mix which essentially turns it into a fold-down creating a false new mix. One would like to think they simply grabbed a mono mix and there'd be no issues and the viewer simply hears a true mono mix.

Maybe that's an explanation.

...unless we're dealing with official remixed dvd reissues.
Kusaywa

Post by Kusaywa »

One thing to be noted is 60s tv would have been mono broadcasts. So most likely would have used a stereo mix which essentially turns it into a fold-down creating a false new mix. One would like to think they simply grabbed a mono mix and there'd be no issues and the viewer simply hears a true mono mix.

Maybe that's an explanation.

...unless we're dealing with official remixed dvd reissues.
Who knows what we are getting? If these were based in the US, we could be getting what was on the US Albums. Highly doubt the makers were supplied any masters form EMI for these cartoons but who knows?
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

Thank you for the interludes Ksantus ....
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

Kusaywa wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:45 pm Highly doubt the makers were supplied any masters form EMI for these cartoons but who knows?
For me the key question is, who did the editing. If the cartoon company took tapes, whether masters or not, and edited them up themselves, then I would not class them as official mixes, regardless of whether they had permission to tinker with them. However if Capitol or whoever prepared or helped prepare the edits, then they could be.

I suspect the cartoon guys did the edits themselves though, to fit into the animation timing, but I guess it could have been the other way around. I think someone wrote a book about the cartoon series some time ago, so there may be more info in there.
tymime

Post by tymime »

In one episode they use the version of "Thank You Girl" with the extra harmonica, so that tells me they made use of the US stereo versions at least.