FABRACADABRA!

Fan created remixes and rare variations
amacoz

Re: FABRACADABRA! (V6, V7 new!, V8, V9)

Post by amacoz »

Many thanks Lord Reith for your latest upgrade.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Thanks guys and Merry Christmas once again. Tune in lunch time Christmas Day for more merriment! ;)
Engonoceras wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:36 pm Very cool how you cool how you got "She Said, She Said" to incorporate the new mix's split guitars but preserve the original drums that were neutered in the SDE remix.
Yeah, took a bit of figuring out what had actually gone wrong but reinstating the original drums and organ and losing the stereo voices did the trick.
The Non-ADT vocal mixes sound so good *as is* it's baffling why they thought the vocals needed ADT in the first place.
I agree, but John hated his voice as we all know. As incredible as that may seem.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Alessandro Rocchi

Post by Alessandro Rocchi »

Thank you very much, Lord Reith, for this spectacular Xmas present! :geek:
Ale.
beatlesnyttigt

Post by beatlesnyttigt »

Many thanks also for your great Fabracadabra uploads LR, highly appreciated - and a very Merry Chrimble to you :D Robert
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

this is a brilliant set! thanks so much ! :)

I love "Taxman" real ending and the unfaded longer end of "Rain" (alternate vocals) (this sounds new to me).
Just one suggestion, since it is a mix for fun and not for purist archival purpose like the Complete recording sessions series, perhaps it would sound better to "re-pitch" McCartney's count-in at the right speed; because each time I listen to the slowed down version now it just sounds weird even if these are John Lennon's original speed vocals; it sounds so slow to me in comparison to the chili con carne real-band version with Ringo's amazing drumming.
"Here, There and Everywhere" backing vocals is pure heaven even if this was already on the "Lemonade" EP ;) ; no wonder why John Lennon used this kind of choir and harmonies for "Woman" later. I have always wondered if the "russian-like" guitar-lick which goes back to the verse ""And if she's beside me I know I need never care"" - and which reminds me "Girl" was from John Lennon.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I don't like the slow count in either and wish I'd lopped it off. I really hate the sounds of their voices slowed down, especially Strawberry Fields on the single.

The outtake which always gets me is take 5 of "Bird". It just sounds so modern.

And the original take 2 of Bird... this sounds very like Mr Tambourine Man to my ears. Maybe the song was originally conceived as And Your Byrd Can Sing?
progdude

Post by progdude »

Many Thanks Lord Reith for everything that you have shared with us. Vol. 7 WOW You Have One Hell Of A Ear!
Last edited by progdude on Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagicalMysteryWarlus

Post by MagicalMysteryWarlus »

Reup for V8?
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:34 am I don't like the slow count in either and wish I'd lopped it off. I really hate the sounds of their voices slowed down, especially Strawberry Fields on the single.

The outtake which always gets me is take 5 of "Bird". It just sounds so modern.

And the original take 2 of Bird... this sounds very like Mr Tambourine Man to my ears. Maybe the song was originally conceived as And Your Byrd Can Sing?
well, perhaps you could keep Paul's count-in but adjust the pitch at the right speed and put it as an alternate version.
On Revolver SDE they keep the count-in to show us that it was drastically played fast and slowed down for the official version.
Now, because of the count-in, I'm kind of uncomfortable by the slow speed of "Rain". (and even their real-live version sounds weird because of the bass's pitch).
I have read that "Rain" was played faster and slowed down, I have listened to some recreation of the original recording speed (you did one, but it was slightly slower than the real speed version); whilst the real live speed version (especially the one without the overdubbed bass on Complete Recording Studios Vol.8) is great (Ringo's drumming is amazing), I'm not at ease with "Rain" now.
The Rolling Stones took a bit of the melody for the verses of their song "Child Of The Moon". We have almost the same kind of texture of sound here.
But they did a great arrangement (sax?) for the chorus; nice melody. I love this song.

"Strawberry Fields" was not a problem for me until I saw George Martin documentary about the making of SGT Pepper and then I discovered the first take on the Unsurpassed Masters. Now I can listen to the official take anymore, because John's voice sounds to weird; and perhaps the orchestration is now a bit too much for me.

"When I'm 64 was speed-up, but Paul's voice still sounds natural to me; it's a kind of foxtrot song like "Honey Pie"; so perhaps a 78rps mood; why not. The sequel of "When I'm 64", musically, is perhaps "Your Mother Should Now" - the take you used for Abracadabra is better than the official track; I love so much the arrangement.

Queen speeded-up "Another Bites The Dust" for a slighty changes of the bass sounds; but it also alters F.Mercury's voice. I'm not distracted by this slight changes of pitch.

"I'm Only Sleeping" on Revolver SDE, the instrumental take (with the buried voice (too bad A.I or audio tools can not boosted the vocals) sounds like a sequel of Help! (even lyrically: after having asked and begged for help, John is excusing now for being sleeping and nonchalant); when I listen to the sessions of "Help!" then the rhythm guitar on "I'm Only Sleeping", its close.
I love this arrangement.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I don't mind their voices speeded up as much. The trouble with slowed down voices is that we've had 60 years worth of scifi movies and tv series where if you want a robot, a cyborg or a cave troll or something the first thing you do is slow down the voice. So it is a cliche now and impossible to hear it the way it might have sounded at the time (ie: completely novel).