Revolver (Original Monaural Recording Series)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
cliftdean74

Re: Revolver (Original Monaural Recording Series)

Post by cliftdean74 »

This is the full original announcement from Millennium Remasters from back in the day about this set:

"We are now offering 'THE ORIGINAL MONAURAL RECORDINGS' 6 CD set (HELP!, RUBBER SOUL, REVOLVER, SGT. PEPPER, and THE BEATLES).
The sound work is not our own, but comes from an exclusive set of mono CD's that came out of Japan (originals were housed in mock reel-to-reel boxes). The original sound sources are supposedly from safety copy tapes made by TOSHIBA EMI in the early 80's when they first put out the ORIGINAL MONO RECORDINGS on red vinyl. Upon close inspection there is no record noise, only slight hiss and sound anomalies associated with the actual master tapes. They have a broader sound and better dynamics than either the UK or Japanese Red mono LP's. They've been long out-of-print and should be a part of any serious Beatle collector's collection. Our masters have been sourced from an original set of discs and are being offered under the moniker MILLENNIUM REISSUES. Again, not trying to rip-off someone else's work, but these should be made available."
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

cliftdean74 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:27 pm
ianbuckers wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:05 pm
cliftdean74 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:04 pm

We needed them in 2004 but maybe not so much any more.
Well Revolver and White album we have an 'original mono master' from the respective SDEs. But we don't have the same for the others do we? The 2009 mono releases aren't the 'original' mastering...they are described as remastered after all.
We also have Help! and Rubber Soul 'original mono masters' on the 1980s Canadian CDs.
Arguably they had some degree of remastering. Only the 2 from the SDEs claim to be flat transfers.
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

cliftdean74 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:24 pm
gaizoku wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:18 am Thank you!
I get Help,Revolver,Sgt.,White!
any others been released?
Anyone,Please let me know.
The only titles released in this series were: Help!, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper and The Beatles (White Album.)
Does anyone heer have the Rubber Soul from this series?
blackcatbone

Post by blackcatbone »

Thank you very much.
Norm Deplume

Post by Norm Deplume »

ianbuckers wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:36 pm
cliftdean74 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:27 pm
ianbuckers wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:05 pm

Well Revolver and White album we have an 'original mono master' from the respective SDEs. But we don't have the same for the others do we? The 2009 mono releases aren't the 'original' mastering...they are described as remastered after all.
We also have Help! and Rubber Soul 'original mono masters' on the 1980s Canadian CDs.
Arguably they had some degree of remastering. Only the 2 from the SDEs claim to be flat transfers.
Almost no tampering on the 2009 Mono box. If you don't like those, there are digital transfers of the 2014 mono vinyl floating around, and those were made to match the original 60s masterings using Harry Moss's notes. I see ZERO reason to have dubs of dubs of dubs being fobbed off as some special "master". Convince me otherwise...

Norm
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Early 90s(?) this series showed up at LA Beatlefest.
It included the albums Abbey Road and Let It Be!
The price was too high. Despite the ethical honesty of the vendor("Sorry, they're fold-downs!") it must have been reverse psychology because I wanted both of them. I couldn't afford it. But I did buy Abbey Road. The series included all UK LP titles. No singles we're represented! I don't recall MMT in any format. There was no hype about Red Vinyl Japanese Mono Master Tape. I have never heard of a series with 6 titles. The artwork for Let It Be and Abbey Road (AND every title was a shot of LP front cover set in the same Border/bezel as seen with the REVOLVER(above). The back of jewel case lists song titles(Black text on white background) with NO GRAPHICS. As I recall, the entire series was packaged like this. Fidelity was not remarkable in ANY way. So, the series of 6 titles(?) might be worth investigating its pedigree and provenance!
KC
gaizoku

Post by gaizoku »

Thank you cliftdean74!
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

Kwai Chang wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:20 am Early 90s(?) this series showed up at LA Beatlefest.
The price was too high. Despite the ethical honesty of the vendor("Sorry, they're fold-downs!") it must have been reverse psychology because I wanted both of them. I couldn't afford it. But I did buy Abbey Road. The series included all UK LP titles. No singles we're represented! I don't recall MMT in any format. There was no hype about Red Vinyl Japanese Mono Master Tape. I have never heard of a series with 6 titles. The artwork for Let It Be and Abbey Road (AND every title was a shot of LP front cover set in the same Border/bezel as seen with the REVOLVER(above). The back of jewel case lists song titles(Black text on white background) with NO GRAPHICS. As I recall, the entire series was packaged like this. Fidelity was not remarkable in ANY way. So, the series of 6 titles(?) might be worth investigating its pedigree and provenance!
KC
Are you saying these are all fold downs of the stereo mixes passed off as as 'original mono'??
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

ianbuckers wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:40 pm
Kwai Chang wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:20 am Early 90s(?) this series showed up at LA Beatlefest.
KC
Are you saying these are all fold downs of the stereo mixes passed off as as 'original mono'??
He's saying Abbey Road and Let It Be are fold downs because there was no dedicated mono mix. This Millennium (Reissues) Remasters series did indeed only have 6 titles. I bought the set from the source when they came out.
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

cliftdean74 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:55 pm
ianbuckers wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:40 pm
KC
He's saying Abbey Road and Let It Be are fold downs because there was no dedicated mono mix. This Millennium (Reissues) Remasters series did indeed only have 6 titles. I bought the set from the source when they came out.
Ah yes, makes sense now!