The Usenet Guide to Beatles Recording Variations

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
powerPC

Re: The Usenet Guide to Beatles Recording Variations

Post by powerPC »

Dial222 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:45 am Since 2016 on I have maintained my own local copy and hopefully managed to snag all the more recent variations etc.

Anyhow, it accounts for approx 1650+ varying tracks, mono, stereo, overseas, remix, edits and so on. I will endeavour to upload a year or group of years each day until the set is exhausted.

It's around 33GB in total so I will leave it up for a couple of weeks, thereafter you will need to help one another. Corrections and suggestions for missed edits welcome.
Incredible project! Thank you Dial222 for taking the time, and for sharing 8-)
—Keith
Liverpools Boy

Post by Liverpools Boy »

1.000 thanks for this. There's a many upgrades since this was put online but always contribute with some, the "Mock" Stereos for example that isn't unavailable in anywhere.
MorseMoose

Post by MorseMoose »

This astounds me. I assumed that you would compile all of the info in PDFs and be done with it. I wasn't expecting all of the audio! This is brilliant, thank you.
Dial222

Post by Dial222 »

The info is were the effort is, beyond a few elusive mixes that had to be hunted down.

The audio of course is the cherry on the cake.
I Am The Walrus

Post by I Am The Walrus »

Thank you very much!
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

So can we start including ALL of the officially released variations? Brennan admits in his introduction that he's only interested in UK and US variations (and a few other random countries' variations), but not all of them. I personally am enjoying learning about all of the other random countries' mastering differences. Like France chopping off the count-in for Taxman. Or Mexico fading out I Want You (She's So Heavy) on the EP. Or that Brazil did a fold-down of the stereo to mono instead of using the mono tapes. Anywho, is anyone else interested in everything, or is it just me?
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

Also, thank you for this gargantuan effort! I started years ago to try and do this and got about 3 albums in before I realized I was looking at the oldest guild and then cried and called it quits. :lol:
I Am The Walrus

In Brazil there are some very strange mixes.
An example is “Penny Lane” which features a sharp cut after the verse “Fullof fish and fingerpies”. For reasons unknown only by EMI from Brazil, the words “in summer” were excluded from almost all releases with this song in the country. Brazilian technicians say that, as the matrix received from England was defective in this section and it was not possible to request a new original in time for the release deadline, they resorted to editing.
Dial222

Post by Dial222 »

bobzilla wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:56 pm So can we start including ALL of the officially released variations? Brennan admits in his introduction that he's only interested in UK and US variations (and a few other random countries' variations), but not all of them. I personally am enjoying learning about all of the other random countries' mastering differences. Like France chopping off the count-in for Taxman. Or Mexico fading out I Want You (She's So Heavy) on the EP. Or that Brazil did a fold-down of the stereo to mono instead of using the mono tapes. Anywho, is anyone else interested in everything, or is it just me?
If theres an image of a disc and the full audio I'll consider updates. There is the Mexican Don't Bother Me and Brazilian folds already in there tho.
I Am The Walrus

Hello Dial222,
I didn't see in the 1963 folder the Mono Mix made by VeeJay of I Saw Her Standing There with the "1 2 3" is cut off from the beginning.
Can this mix be included or is it irrelevant?
Thank you very much.