Is Washington '64 the last great Beatles live show?

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
georgefromhenley

Re: Is Washington '64 the last great Beatles live show?

Post by georgefromhenley »

IFeelFine wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:21 am Thank you George.
I just hope the whole tape gets released into the wild one day
It is in private hands... I think it could be released because it is now out of copyright after 50 years but I believe Apple will kill each attempt.
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

georgefromhenley wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:00 pm Washington is great (and I still cant believe how good it sounded if you look at the set up and "likely" one mic over them. I never understood how they made that great recording.
I think there are some great shows on each tour.
Hollywood 64 and 65 are great. So is Paris 65 or Melbourne. Although the sound is bad I still think Candlestick was a great show - probably their best in 1966.
Agreed on Candlestick. The Tony Barrow tape actually doesn't sound that bad . . . it has some beautiful stadium feedback and you can hear the vocals. Note also Paul's background vocals on If I Needed Someone, he's doing Indian flourishes with his vocals. They never cease to amaze me.
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

IFeelFine wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:58 pm
georgefromhenley wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:28 am
Rickenbacker325 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:24 pm There’s so many shows that unfortunately we will never be able to see and answer this question….think of all the tours…the shows…the Essen show from 1966 comes to mind and in my opinion it was the best show they did in ‘66…but again there’s a multitude that have yet to be heard or seen
The Essen show is likely soundwise the best show from 1966 (even you hear that the tape is old) - their performance was ok - perhaps you hear the lyrics errors more here than on any audience recordings of the year. It was their fourth show in 1966 (if you omit Poll Winners) and so they were not that tight. You might expect that from Candlestick Park as being their 19th show of the US tour and I personally believe that you hear it - it was a great show.

The Essen show is not available on the market - I transcribed the show for my German book on the tour published in 2011.
George, are you saying you have heard the complete Essen show from the soundboard?
I read a quote, I think from either Mal or Alf Bicknell that the Essen show was a particularly good one on that tour.
I'd sure like to hear the entire show !!!