Old TV programmes

The place to discuss rare video of the Fabs
Nimbus

Old TV programmes

Post by Nimbus »

Just before BZ folded I started sharing a few old TV programmes which seemed to be well received. These are from the early 80's onwards, recorded on VHS tapes so the quality isn't great at times. However, it's better than nothing and some of them are quite obscure. This one is a South Bank Show from 1986 called 'The Dream is Over'. You could call it 'Plastic Ono Band - The Ballet'. It features Lennon songs set to dance, along with clips and interview snippets of the Beatles and Lennon. It's different !

https://tinyurl.com/32azk44m
Lord Reith

Re: Old TV programmes

Post by Lord Reith »

Never heard of this, but it sounds intriguing! Thanks!

Can anyone remember a tv special about McCartney where he is having a quiet conversation with a horse?! It might have been around 1990. He is facing the horse and stroking its head while chatting with it. It struck me as really funny at the time.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
ashwom1

Post by ashwom1 »

I remember the John Lennon "South Bank Show". The interview segments were from a tape he made at Kenwood with some students and I don't think it had been heard before. I recall trying to audio tape all the segments and trying to join them back together.
Last edited by ashwom1 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ashwom1

Post by ashwom1 »

Paul with the horse - could that be the MPL film 'Blankit's First Show' ?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0260755/
C90

Post by C90 »

Nimbus wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:21 am Just before BZ folded I started sharing a few old TV programmes which seemed to be well received. These are from the early 80's onwards, recorded on VHS tapes so the quality isn't great at times. However, it's better than nothing and some of them are quite obscure. This one is a South Bank Show from 1986 called 'The Dream is Over'. You could call it 'Plastic Ono Band - The Ballet'. It features Lennon songs set to dance, along with clips and interview snippets of the Beatles and Lennon. It's different !

https://tinyurl.com/32azk44m
Thank you for this! I remember watching this at the time, not knowing too much about Lennon's solo stuff but despite the rather high artiness of the project, it really 'worked' for me. I thought it would be too left field for even the most completist Beatle collector to have recorded!
It had the right balance of vintage media mixed in with what was effectively dance 'videos' to the POB record, to captivate a newcomer to the album. I don't know why, but for me, those songs sat well with choreography and the show left me wanting to investigate the album more.
I will give it a view ASAP
fungomatto

Post by fungomatto »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:42 am Never heard of this, but it sounds intriguing! Thanks!

Can anyone remember a tv special about McCartney where he is having a quiet conversation with a horse?! It might have been around 1990. He is facing the horse and stroking its head while chatting with it. It struck me as really funny at the time.
Blankit's First Show was filmed in 1984 and released in 1986, Appaloosa was filmed in 1992 and released in 1994.
I have them on videotapes, as soon as I can I'll take them a look... don't remember Paul having a conversation with a hors,e but it was long time ago last time I saw them...
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:42 am Never heard of this, but it sounds intriguing! Thanks!

You're not getting confused with Mr Ed are you!
Phil_Lip

Post by Phil_Lip »

Blankit's first Show - hxxps://we.tl/t-4HA0CuNyte

Don't remember any talking to horses though!
Most of my links are to OneDrive. However, OneDrive does impose a download limit and when this is reached displays a message that the files are deleted or have expired. Leave it a while and try again later.
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

From ballet to classical. Here's Paul with Ghosts of the Past * which features the making of the Liverpool Oratorio from 1991. Seems like yesterday but it's 30 years ago ...... :o

https://tinyurl.com/3w3tesdr

* No horses were talked to in the making of this programme ;)
datters

Post by datters »

harrythebannister wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:18 pm

You're not getting confused with Mr Ed are you!
Nay, but of course, Wilber. 8-)