Re: revloveR (Volume 1)

Post by beatlesnyttigt »

revloveR (Volume 1) [paul62] CD re-up a week
hXXps://we.tl/t-DOWYjE5qjB
As always, many thanks paul62 :) Robert
paul62

THE BEATLES - KNIGHTS IN BRIGHT SATIN

Post by paul62 »

Named in tribute to another ground-breaking album from 1967 by The Moody Blues ("Days Of Future Passed" featuring "Nights In White Satin") with orchestration by Peter Knight... who did a fine instrumental version of the SPLHCB album, as it turns out.

As written in the .txt note (About this set.txt) included in the .rar file:

The 2017 remix of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" is, for many fans,
a loud, over-compressed and over-powering way to hear the classic album.
Sounds great coming out of a boombox or car stereo system, but very fatiguing
to the ears when listened to via headphones.

In this version, the 2017 remix has been remixed to give the tracks greater clarity
and a vintage stereo spread.

The mono version is not a fold-down, it should be noted.
Last edited by paul62 on Sun May 22, 2022 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
thewarpedvinyljunkie

Re: THE BEATLES - KNIGHTS IN BRIGHT SATIN

Post by thewarpedvinyljunkie »

I have been listening to this over and over (mono, stereo, mono, stereo) since it first got here, and I have to say that it is a completely MUSICAL remix. While some other remixes by some folks are kinda "oooh, listen what I found buried deep down," Paul62's is more what you might think of as the equivalent of what might have been, had a different and equally-talented producer been given the job of mixing what George and the boys recorded. Or perhaps, if you're so minded, think of the differences between the younger Bernstein on the Columbia Mahler symphony cycle and the older Bernstein on the Deutsche Grammophon Mahler symphony cycle. They're the same music, the same conductor, but with different choices made in the presentations which bring out different moods, thoughts, and emotions.

And it's the same with these two new versions. The changes are often very slight, but they have the touches that can alter the emotional response to the tracks themselves. For example, the mono "Pepper/Help" sounds like the version you really wish had been coming out of your AM speakers in '67. Its stereo mix makes you feel like you're experiencing what you could have been privy to, the first time you heard the album on a "really good" TT/amp/speaker setup after dozens of times playing it on your little bedroom record player--and Paul's bass is just the right amount more "punchy," as it has always needed to be. (In the stereo mix, the bass seems slightly more prominent throughout the album, lending it a harder-rocking feel overall.) "Leaving" seems to have the slightest attenuation of treble in the verses, resulting in a more snug and lenitive milieu for the story. "Being" is so beautifully balanced in both mixes that if I keep listening to it, it might actually become a track I could like (I have never cared much for either of the original mixes, finding them rather enervating).

"Within," with its slight background boost near the end, now gives a bit more direction to George's decision to include the laughter "after 5 minutes of sad Indian music," and has simply become one of the most sublime mono mixes anywhere in the Beatles catalog. (The similar boost has been made in the stereo mix, but it's in the mono that it works most perfectly.) Lennon may not have been thrilled by "Morning," but hearing it again in this slightly altered version makes me wonder why it wasn't ever attempted (to my knowledge) by a jazz ensemble at the time. The album's 2017 remix, used as the basis here, is kind of a mix-and-match version to begin with, so some of the mono oddities aren't really on display here, but the segue from "Reprise" to "Day" is as perfectly worked as any I've heard, and it is yet another credit to paul62 that he has managed to keep the flow of the stereo album while teasing some of the timbre of the sounds from the original mono.

If you haven't downloaded and listened to these two new remixes, I urge you to do so. It's the equivalent of revisiting an old friend in a bright (and shiny new) light, revealing the true beauties in a way that makes them stand in greater relief. We've got a lot of truly great remixers here on this site, but this holistic remix by paul62 takes second chair to none of their excellent works.
paul62

Post by paul62 »

What a brilliant review: thank you very much for this! Your post is so considered and well-written - reading it feels as good as what I'd imagine getting a great review in The New York Times (or The 910) would feel like...!!! :lol: :D
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
rhino

Post by rhino »

Thank you !
thewarpedvinyljunkie

Post by thewarpedvinyljunkie »

paul62 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:16 am What a brilliant review: thank you very much for this!
Just my way of saying thank you for an excellent pair of remixes!
The Warped Vinyl Junkie

"He never wore his shoes; we all knew he was dead."
Ronson

Post by Ronson »

The review above has whet my appetite to hear it
beatlesnyttigt

Post by beatlesnyttigt »

Many thanks for these paul62 :D Robert