Pete Best's Beatles - Boys

Fan created remixes and rare variations
paul62

Re: She Loves You and I'll Get You (remixed into twin track stereo by paul62)

Post by paul62 »

Beatcomber Records was his brand: not sure if he's found his way to this board, yet!
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
paul62

Pete Best's Beatles - Boys

Post by paul62 »

Peter Best - Boys (featuring Ringo and Paul on vocals - remix by paul62)

https://yung.cloud/track/40172/peter-be ... -by-paul62

Luther Dixon, who wrote "Boys" for The Shirelles, produced Pete Best's version for Cameo (from what I understand):
Track 3.13
Recorded in 1965
A Casual & Ludis Production
Cameo C391A
Also released on Pye in the UK in 1965.
Ludis Production was a Luther Dixon company.
Dixon produced the original version of The Shirelles.

https://www.discogs.com/release/3773400 ... -1957-1967
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
beatlesnyttigt

Re: Pete Best's Beatles - Boys

Post by beatlesnyttigt »

Thanks a lot Paul, very interesting to hear, and a great remix too - but Pete could never beat Ringo, he's too flimsy.
By the way, if you don't mind me asking - you don't happen to have that Cameo Parkway 4CD Collection you linked to? If so, I would really appreciate an upload if you can find the time, I've got several of the great tracks on it but not all... :D Robert
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Thanks for taking a listen, Robert!

Pete's drumming was more energetic and spirited on the Boys/Kansas City single for Cameo than his drumming at the Polydor or Decca sessions. It would have helped having Luther Dixon, the writer of "Boys", producing the session: Best hoping to prove that he wasn't a no-hoper on the skins and Dixon hoping that his older songs could still compete in the marketplace against newer songs (and sounds) from bands like The Beatles...

I'm assuming that Luther Dixon didn't get a session drummer like Bernard Purdie (or someone of his calibre) to deputise for Pete on drums (and imitate Best's drumming style...).

Regarding the vocals on the Boys/Kansas City single, I remember having a conversation "in the 'zone" with Thorsten Knublauch ((AKA georgefromhenley) who's written books about the Hamburg period of The Beatles): I recall that he wrote that it was Wayne Bickerton (and he would have meant to add Tony Waddington, as well) doing the singing on the Boys/Kansas City single. As far as he's concerned, it wasn't Pete Best singing the lead vocals: no proof was offered in the forum, though, so he might not actually know for certain who did the vocals for the single. Allen Klein's family would have the recording session paperwork (which would probably state who played and sang on the tracks).

Regarding the 4CD Cameo Parkway 1957-1967 box set, I have the whole lot as a 320 kbps set (and I have 79.5% via one torrent and 83.5% via another torrent of the FLAC version: both of these have been going for a very long time, though...).

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
Kusaywa

Post by Kusaywa »

paul62, any chance of re-upping She Loves You & I'll Get You Stereo (non-Dexter) for download? And thanks for your work and sharing. Sounds great!
beatlesnyttigt

Post by beatlesnyttigt »

Thanks for the reply Paul, yeah I agree that Pete does sound better (a bit more aggressive) on this track but he does some weird things here and there that I don't quite fancy. Regarding the vocals on the track, I've got Thorsten's book Mach Shau In Hamburg, but don't remember what he wrote about this recording. Would be nice if the Klein family did a book about his work with all his documents in it, but I don't have any hopes for that.
Regarding the Cameo Parkway 4CD set, I'd be happy to get the mp3 version :), sad about the seemingly inactive torrents you're waiting for :(
Cheers :D Robert